U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM

664 posts, read 610,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexican women end up with hyphenated names. Gloria Garcia marrying Jose Gonzalez usually ends up Gloria Gonzalez-Garcia
I've never seen hyphenated names in Spanish speaking countries.
I might be mistaken, but I think that if in Mexico Gloria García marries José González, she would still be Gloria García and can be socially referred as Gloria García de González (always keeping her maiden surname as the first one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 5,567,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexican women end up with hyphenated names. Gloria Garcia marrying Jose Gonzalez usually ends up Gloria Gonzalez-Garcia
We also use hyphen in the Philippines but it usually depends on the woman if she uses it or not.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,056,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
In Quebec, women no longer take their husband's surname (since 1981). In the rest of Canada, it's the opposite and the overwhelming majority of women take their husband's surname after marrying.
Correct - all of my friends (we're all born 70's-80's) carry our father's surname, regardless of marital status, and we all have different surnames than our children. My older neighbours (women 50+) all have the same surname name as their husbands. Socially, we usually use our husband's names, but legally we don't.

Some kids carry hyphenated names, however a lot of millenials here (1981+) already have hyphen names and it's getting ridiculous. My children would have had 4 surnames if we did that.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canada's custom, as described in an earlier post (#4), is rather new. Into the 1980's I did not know of any Canadian women who retained their maiden name (even in Quebec), except for a few who had established professional careers under their former name.
And post 4 did note that the law is only from 1981, but it has in fact taken strong hold and now women generally do not take their husband's name. The tradition has changed, and it is now the custom for women to retain their names, even amongst the vast majority of the native Anglo minority. I note that taking the husband's name remains the tradition in the rest of our federation.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

18,242 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Technically in France where by statue dating back to the French Revolution citizens are not allowed to use any other name than what is registered at birth.

Married and maiden names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 AM

16,138 posts, read 21,382,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I've never seen hyphenated names in Spanish speaking countries.
I might be mistaken, but I think that if in Mexico Gloria García marries José González, she would still be Gloria García and can be socially referred as Gloria García de González (always keeping her maiden surname as the first one).
I live 5 miles from the border and in a prominently Latino area. have friends and co-workers who live on both sides of the border and this is the way I always see it. I have a friend named Isabel Ortiz who married some guy with the last name Rentaria. She's now Isabel Rentaria Ortiz. She also has a middle name right after her first name so she has four names now.

I should add, I said hyphenated as if it always is. it's not. I was really trying to emphasize how the woman's original last name remains.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Certainly not here.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
In Belarus, most women take their husband's last name after marriage.
However, some choose not to do it.
By law, it's also possible for a husband to take his wife's surname. But I think hardly anyone does that in real life. If someone does, people will probably laugh at him
Yes here too. They would laugh too if the woman didn't change.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,545,586 times
In Việt Nam the women don't.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM

654 posts, read 679,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes here too. They would laugh too if the woman didn't change.
Really?
Here such a woman wouldn't be laughed at. But as I said it's a minority that doesn't take husband's surname. Often it's independent and feminist women that opt not to change.
As for men changing last name after marriage, I can't remember any examples of that. But I suppose they do exist. Some men may hate their last name since it sounds bad, is similar to some bad word etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or