U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of "inventing" a new surname, that's quite tempting.

I wonder as well what the same-sex couples will do, probably combined names I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I like the idea of "inventing" a new surname, that's quite tempting.
Yes, at least that you have the possibility. For example if you know the guy Jari Sarasvuo, he has invented that name himself. His surname at birth was Heinonen.

I'm not very picky. If I'm to marry someone with a beautiful name, I could very well take hers and drop mine.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, at least that you have the possibility. For example if you know the guy Jari Sarasvuo, he has invented that name himself. His surname at birth was Heinonen.

I'm not very picky. If I'm to marry someone with a beautiful name, I could very well take hers and drop mine.
I'd have to invent a really good name for it to be better than my current one but I suppose there's rules about the names you invent *sigh*

Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM

579 posts, read 516,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Spanish naming customs vary by country, and change over time, so would be way to complex to describe here. But there is a general pattern which is recognized in most Spanish speaking countries. I'll bold the patrilineal (father's) name for convenience.

Maria Alvarez Sanchez married Jose Castro Martinez.
She becomes Maria Castro de Alvarez, commonly referred to as Senora Castro,
Their daughter is Isabella Castro Alvarez.
She married Juan Hernandez Lopez, and becomes Isabella Hernandez de Castro, or Sra. Hernandez.
Their children will be Carla and Ruben Hernandez Castro.
No, the general pattern in Latin America is the reverse.
Maria Alvarez Sanchez married Jose Castro Martinez becomes Maria Alvarez de Castro, and Isabella Castro Alvarez married Juan Hernandez becomes Isabella Castro de Hernandez.
In that case "de" in front of a surname refers to the family name of the husband, not the paternal one.
And normally, father's family name goes first than husband's one.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,567,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
No, the general pattern in Latin America is the reverse.
Maria Alvarez Sanchez married Jose Castro Martinez becomes Maria Alvarez de Castro, and Isabella Castro Alvarez married Juan Hernandez becomes Isabella Castro de Hernandez.
In that case "de" in front of a surname refers to the family name of the husband, not the paternal one.
And normally, father's family name goes first than husband's one.
Quite confusing.
victus, we used to carry the Spanish naming system in the Philippines before following the Anglo way, but I noticed, the use of " de " was not usually practise, " y " was commonly used. What about in Spain ? Is " y " commonly used too ?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
I don't like the idea of a woman keeping her name , prefer the traditional approach

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,750,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I don't like the idea of a woman keeping her name , prefer the traditional approach
I just want to point out the obvious here -- it's much easier to take that stance if you're a man.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,549,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I live 5 miles from the border and in a prominently Latino area. have friends and co-workers who live on both sides of the border and this is the way I always see it. I have a friend named Isabel Ortiz who married some guy with the last name Rentaria. She's now Isabel Rentaria Ortiz. She also has a middle name right after her first name so she has four names now.

I should add, I said hyphenated as if it always is. it's not. I was really trying to emphasize how the woman's original last name remains.
In border areas people have semi-adopted the way things are done in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or