Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I thought this western tradition was the norm in most countries. It still is here in Australia, although exceptions probably are increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I believe in some Scandinavian countries, daughters keep the mother's last name, and sons keep the father's last name. I like this idea.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 AM

595 posts, read 719,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, I thought this western tradition was the norm in most countries. It still is here in Australia, although exceptions probably are increasing.
It's not a western tradition but germanic and anglo. In latin countries have never been the norm.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I believe in some Scandinavian countries, daughters keep the mother's last name, and sons keep the father's last name. I like this idea.
Hmm, I don't think so. I think you're mixing up with the Icelandic naming customs.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM

667 posts, read 940,290 times
In Belarus, most women take their husband's last name after marriage.
However, some choose not to do it.
By law, it's also possible for a husband to take his wife's surname. But I think hardly anyone does that in real life. If someone does, people will probably laugh at him

Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Probably the countries that have been Spanish colonies.
Mexican women end up with hyphenated names. Gloria Garcia marrying Jose Gonzalez usually ends up Gloria Gonzalez-Garcia

Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I have been told by a lawyer in Michigan that in that state, it is actually illegal for a woman to not take the name of her husband, unless specifically designated in the formal marriage documents, which would otherwise constitute a tacit name change. If a woman marries, without legally taking the necessary steps to change her name back to original, she can be held to have falsified her identity. Never happens in fact, but it's the law. I did not proceed in the discussion to what happens if a woman marries in another state, is commonly and legally known under her maiden name, and then moves to Michigan and continues to go by that alias.

In Missouri, in a divorce (that I happened to be involved in), an ex-wife's desire to restore her former name has to be spelled out as a legal name change before the judge in the divorce proceeding. Which makes me think the Michigan law might be mirrored in Missouri, too.

Canada's custom, as described in an earlier post (#4), is rather new. Into the 1980's I did not know of any Canadian women who retained their maiden name (even in Quebec), except for a few who had established professional careers under their former name.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
In Belarus, most women take their husband's last name after marriage.
However, some choose not to do it.
By law, it's also possible for a husband to take his wife's surname. But I think hardly anyone does that in real life. If someone does, people will probably laugh at him
Sounds a lot like the US. The vast majority of women take their husbands name. Some do not however. Legally a man can take his wifes name but it's never done. Then like I said, many Mexicans (Mexican in this case being a cultural reference) hyphenate and use both names often with the husbands name first.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have been told by a lawyer in Michigan that in that state, it is actually illegal for a woman to not take the name of her husband, unless specifically designated in the formal marriage documents, which would otherwise constitute a tacit name change. If a woman marries, without legally taking the necessary steps to change her name back to original, she can be held to have falsified her identity. Never happens in fact, but it's the law. I did not proceed in the discussion to what happens if a woman marries in another state, is commonly and legally known under her maiden name, and then moves to Michigan and continues to go by that alias.

In Missouri, in a divorce (that I happened to be involved in), an ex-wife's desire to restore her former name has to be spelled out as a legal name change before the judge in the divorce proceeding. Which makes me think the Michigan law might be mirrored in Missouri, too.

Canada's custom, as described in an earlier post (#4), is rather new. Into the 1980's I did not know of any Canadian women who retained their maiden name (even in Quebec), except for a few who had established professional careers under their former name.
Always forget about state laws. Interesting, thanks.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
In the Philippines, before the arrival of the Americans, women used to carry their name and put the husband's name in the middle then followed by letter " y " and then her last name, ex. Maiden name Consuelo Martinez becomes Consuelo Ramos y Martinez when she gets married. Now Philippines dropped that system and followed the Anglo way because of the Americans, but letter " y " in the middle is still being used but only in important documents.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 03-24-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World