U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,996,201 times

Advertisements

I know there is MTV, CNN, etc in other countries but do you get to watch the American version or is it different?
CNN for example - have you ever seen AC360, Wolf Blitzer the Situation Room, The Lead with Jake Tapper?
The anchors always say "welcome to our viewers from the united states and from around the world"
I always figured they air CNN International outside the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 PM

16,138 posts, read 21,401,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I know there is MTV, CNN, etc in other countries but do you get to watch the American version or is it different?
CNN for example - have you ever seen AC360, Wolf Blitzer the Situation Room, The Lead with Jake Tapper?
The anchors always say "welcome to our viewers from the united states and from around the world"
I always figured they air CNN International outside the USA.
I think some programing on CNN is world wide while some isn't. Sometimes they will say for our international viewers ect. and for our US viewers ect. with certain programming.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 PM

20,591 posts, read 25,654,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think some programing on CNN is world wide while some isn't. Sometimes they will say for our international viewers ect. and for our US viewers ect. with certain programming.
I think that's pretty much it. CNN International is a mix of the usual American-oriented programming and stuff for the global audience that people in the US would not see.

Note that CNN International is broadcast pretty much everywhere outside the US except for Canada and I believe the West Indies who get the regular US version of the network.

As for other networks like MTV, well in Canada we tend to get a Canadian version of them but they are generally Canadian in name only. Programming is almost all from the US except for occasional token Canadian stuff put in there to satisfy Canadian content obligations imposed by our national broadcast regulator.

For other networks it varies.

For example, channels like A and E or TLC are the exact same as in the US. Even the commercials are American.

Discovery Channel has a Canadian version - it has some Canadian shows but most programming is still American. Commercials are Canadian.

The Canadian version of HGTV actually carries a lot of original Canadian programming, and many of these Canadian shows are carried by the American HGTV too.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,441,018 times
Pretty sure American TV Shows won't work elsewhere, something to do with different metric voltage or something.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,822,205 times
We had MTV Germany, but they made it a pay-per-view channel now, so it pretty much dyed off. Some US shows, some German shows, only German moderators.

I guess you can watch CNN over here, but honestly, it's not very popular. I always thought they only show news, but apparently they also have shows like "Amanpour."? Never heard of that person. Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan only seem to be on the North American version.

The other American channels (Discovery, History, ...) are only available via Sky. Mostly German versions. Again, I don't know about their programming, since we don't pay for Sky.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 AM

30,351 posts, read 31,219,942 times
When I spent a year in Ecuador there was a Spanish speaking CNN channel there. So that is definitely different than what one gets in the USA.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 AM

5,050 posts, read 5,523,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
We had MTV Germany, but they made it a pay-per-view channel now, so it pretty much dyed off. Some US shows, some German shows, only German moderators.

I guess you can watch CNN over here, but honestly, it's not very popular. I always thought they only show news, but apparently they also have shows like "Amanpour."? Never heard of that person. Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan only seem to be on the North American version.

The other American channels (Discovery, History, ...) are only available via Sky. Mostly German versions. Again, I don't know about their programming, since we don't pay for Sky.
I have got CNN International. They air Cooper and Morgan. I think we still got MTV Norway (or maybe it is a Nordic channel?). I do not see the point, though. They only air awful reality shows.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,217,770 times
I don't own a TV so I wouldn't know.

I do know that a few years ago when I was in Colombia I watched Alf quite often. That was entertaining.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
For non-news programming, it is not as bad as it used to be. Decades ago, US network programs were carried raw, with subtitles. Now, there are no drama programs that can be simply subtitled, everything is reality shows or sitcoms, the latter not regarded as very funny because they're based on either plays on words, or humorous situations that non-Americans would not comprehend. Every country (even Afghanistan) has it's own "American Idol", and more and more countries are developing the technical sophistication to produce a lot of their own TV shows. "Baywatch" was the most popular international show in the history of the world.

When I worked for the TV station in Jordan (1970s), all programs (3 hours per night) were imported from the USA and UK, and subtitled, except the guy sitting behind a desk reading the news in Arabic. BBC programs were more popular than US shows.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,021,861 times
We get Fox News in the UK. It's on the comedy channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or