U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times

Advertisements

Horsemanship is not 'natural' it is a learned behavior. That said, there are some cultures that have, historically and presently, placed a great deal of imortance on horsemanship by some or all classes of their societies.

For a start, the Mongolians and central Asians; the Anglo countries, especially England, the U.S., and Australia; East-Central Europe; the Berbers and Arabs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 AM

1,044 posts, read 824,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Horsemanship is not 'natural' it is a learned behavior
Ofcourse it's learned behavior, but if a culture is build on, and depanded on horses, and when people grow up around horses generation after generation after generation those people become "natural" more talented.
Those people usually have a much better understanding of horses behavior, and how to approach one and to communicate with it.
For instance, i'm into "working cowhorse" so i've done a lot of clinics on how to chase, catch, stop and turn a cow from horseback. I've also been on a ranch going along with the ranchers family on round ups. When i asked a kid there, how they for instance collect a horse and bend in on a "run down" to make a rollback and turn the cow (wich takes a lot of skill) and he couldn't tell me how they did it, "i just do" he told me. He never had lessons, never paticipated in competions or clinics. But i saw him using exactly the same technics as i do. It's just wat his father did, and his grandpa, and his grand- grandpa and so on.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,474,250 times
Western Canadians are pretty good with their horses. Cowboys and what not that they are.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 AM

12 posts, read 6,720 times
Thank you all for the very interesting responses and the useful links & videos provided! It's great to see that people from highly developed countries are still doing their best to preserve some nice traditions related to horsemanship. It seems as if the few remaining nomadic populations today no longer enjoy significant advantages over the sedentary types when it comes to skills pertaining to the riding of horses.

I agree that the nurture aspect is extremely important, though I do believe that certain body types (which are likely to be more prevalent in certain ethnicities and are in part determined by genetics) are more suited to riding horses. I am not much of an expert with regard to physical anthropology, but most of the ethnic groups mentioned in this thread (Berbers, Arabs, Central Asians, Mongolians, etc.) are of relatively short statute (on average), lightly-boned, etc. Also, as @cattledog69 implied, it maybe the case that people who start working with horses from an early age are less fearful of the animals and better able to communicate with them, so it's not out of the question that they sometimes pass on such traits to their children, who then tend to show a special aptitude for interacting with horses.

*Hmm...no signature yet*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or