U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,199 posts, read 1,980,589 times
Reputation: 2052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Maybe India? Most people there are very dark, albeit not black. Unfortunately, most of Asia is known for xenophobia. They like us Westerners as curiosities, but aren't so accepting of us putting roots down. Philippines could work, they are probably the most open country in Asia alongside of Singapore, plus there's the American influence from the colonial days

I would not recommend India.

 
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM
 
2,482 posts, read 3,310,817 times
Reputation: 2196
The majority of countries in the world have a non-white majority but don't always have the same standard of living, democrary and human rights. I think South Africa might not too bad if you had the skills and education to get a good job although there is a very high crime rate there. Some Asian countries like Thailand would be nice and there are quite a few westerners living there. Some Americans retire to South American countries like Costa Rica. Countries like Japan would be pretty impossible to get permanent residency in.

A lot of countries would be difficult to immigrate to unless you have a reasonable amount of money.
 
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,191 posts, read 4,272,939 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping to move out of the U.S. and would appreciate some suggestions on which are the best non-White majority places to live that are accepting of Black immigrants? Before anyone answers with "Africa" please allow me to inform and enlighten you. Africa isn't a country, it's a continent that has 55 (Yes 55) countries in it . Wherever you suggest doesn't necessarily have to be in Africa, just preferably a non-White majority country/city. Thanks in advance for any intelligent and insightful replies.
Just forget it. You'd be trading a 2014 Mercedes for a wrecked 1990 Ford. Not worth it.
Many developing countries might be nice to visit, but something simple as finding doctor who can treat the flu will be a challenge.
 
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 PM
 
579 posts, read 567,389 times
Reputation: 610
Asians are on average the most racist people on the planet. So scratch that continent. South America is struggling financially so you might face crime head on.

Your best bet is to stick around for when the USA is no longer a White majority (15 years)
 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM
 
25,033 posts, read 20,240,314 times
Reputation: 11520
Basically, in short, any country that isn't white majority is either extremely xenophobic and racist (Asia), a financial basket case with high crime (South America), or high crime rate and war torn (Africa). As you might be finding out, OP, is that the least racist countries are actually the white ones (except eastern Europe and Russia).

I think you can make it a go in Latin America. Being a black American might actually be good thing. Still, if you're willing to put up with high crime rates in Brazil and Mexico, I think you'd do better in South Africa. Thing is, you need to have a sought after skill; preferably with a bachelor's degree or higher. Ethnically speaking, though, South Africa would be your best bet.
 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 AM
 
2,482 posts, read 3,310,817 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Asians are on average the most racist people on the planet. So scratch that continent. South America is struggling financially so you might face crime head on.

Your best bet is to stick around for when the USA is no longer a White majority (15 years)
I knew people from El Salvadore and Peru who had experienced being held up and robbed at gunpoint and this was quite common in those countries. Most countries in South America have a very high crime rate. The best countries to live in are in Europe, Canada, US, Australia, NZ and some Asian countries such as Japan and Singapore. Most other areas of the world are very difficult places to live in and most places suffer from racism. At least in First World countries there is strict legislation to combat racism and these are the countries that people are going to from every corner of the world.
 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 AM
 
25,033 posts, read 20,240,314 times
Reputation: 11520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I knew people from El Salvadore and Peru who had experienced being held up and robbed at gunpoint and this was quite common in those countries. Most countries in South America have a very high crime rate. The best countries to live in are in Europe, Canada, US, Australia, NZ and some Asian countries such as Japan and Singapore. Most other areas of the world are very difficult places to live in and most places suffer from racism. At least in First World countries there is strict legislation to combat racism and these are the countries that people are going to from every corner of the world.
A lot of people say Japan, but it's not true, especially if you're anything but white. They don't even like other Asians, and the Japanese outside of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka are not a very welcoming bunch. Again, just because they are nice to you in front of you doesn't mean they like you behind your back. If they don't consider generations of Koreans living in Japan as Japanese, there is no chance in hell they'll ever accept anyone as "one of them". Japan is one of the most homogenous countries on Earth, and they are ready to keep it like that
 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 AM
 
2,482 posts, read 3,310,817 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A lot of people say Japan, but it's not true, especially if you're anything but white. They don't like other Asians, and the Japanese outside of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka are not a very welcoming bunch. Again, just because they are nice to you in front of you doesn't mean they like you behind your back. If they don't consider generations of Koreans living in Japan as Japanese, there is no chance in hell they'll ever accept anyone as "one of them".
I know Japanese aren't the most welcoming and I don't think many people are granted permanent residency I was just saying that it is one of the countries with a good standard of living.

The only countries where people from all over the world are going in large numbers are ironically white majority countries.
 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 AM
 
25,033 posts, read 20,240,314 times
Reputation: 11520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I know Japanese aren't the most welcoming and I don't think many people are granted permanent residency I was just saying that it is one of the countries with a good standard of living.

The only countries where people from all over the world are going in large numbers are ironically white majority countries.
Yes, Japan has an excellent standard of living. But, I think we need to frame this with the OP's criteria in mind. I'm thinking he wanted to ask, but not directly, which countries are good to live in that are not prejudiced towards blacks.

Exactly. If South Africa wasn't so crime ridden, it'd be a great place to live in, especially if you are black. OP shouldn't worry too much, though. The heat is on Latinos nowadays, blacks aren't really on the radar screen for much anymore now that the Mexicans are arriving in large numbers everywhere. People with a Spanish last name, like me, are presumed to be Mexican and Mexican is a dirty word in white circles.
 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 AM
 
2,482 posts, read 3,310,817 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, Japan has an excellent standard of living. But, I think we need to frame this with the OP's criteria in mind. I'm thinking he wanted to ask, but not directly, which countries are good to live in that are not prejudiced towards blacks.

Exactly. If South Africa wasn't so crime ridden, it'd be a great place to live in, especially if you are black. OP shouldn't worry too much, though. The heat is on Latinos nowadays, blacks aren't really on the radar screen for much anymore now that the Mexicans are arriving in large numbers everywhere. People with a Spanish last name, like me, are presumed to be Mexican and Mexican is a dirty word in white circles.
Yes true Japan wouldn't be the best option even if they had more lax immigration.

In countries like Australia there are no bad connotations about people from Latin America. In fact it is more likely to be positive. If any group comes to a country in large numbers they experience more negative feelings especially if they are from a different culture.

I don't mind where people come from as long as they make an effort to fit in and adapt. I don't expect people to forget where they came from and it is good to be proud of your origins but when you come to a new country you should open up to that culture. There are gains from both sides. Look at all the great cuisines that have been brought to countries from immigrants. I just can't understand people who come here and don't want to change and make little foreign enclaves and won't even marry into the majority community but will go back to their old countries for partners. Why bother leaving your original country in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top