U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM

4,598 posts, read 7,420,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
I see I will get biased responses for the most part. Thanks to everyone who gave an intelligent enlightened response, I have all that I need.
These responses aren't particularly biased. Your premise is quite naive and a bit adolescent. I think as you grow older and get some experiences out there you'll look back on this and understand the essence of what everyone's been saying, although clearly you're not ready to hear it, because you seem to be rebelling against popular opinions in your home country and are doing so by taking an opposite stance, without an eye to nuance. For the record, I am visibly non-European and have never lived in the United States of America.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 PM

70 posts, read 128,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
These responses aren't particularly biased. Your premise is quite naive and a bit adolescent. I think as you grow older and get some experiences out there you'll look back on this and understand what everyone's been saying. For the record, I am visibly non-European and have never lived in the United States.
...And I'm naive? Ok .

Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM

16,416 posts, read 23,530,550 times
Quote:
...And I'm naive? Ok .
You're probably 19 if I had to guess. Come back in in 5-10 years and you'll understand.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM

70 posts, read 128,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're probably 19 if I had to guess. Come back in in 5-10 years and you'll understand.
You guys have given me all I need to make an informed decision.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM

1,681 posts, read 2,874,547 times
Realistically you are only looking at Barbados and The Bahamas if you are hoping to have a minimum chance of being accepted by the general population. Everywhere else you are facing third world living conditions, high crime, political instability, etc. Even in Asian countries with a high standard of living such as Japan, Singapore, or South Korea you will never be accepted as one of them as they tend to be xenophobic towards outsiders and unless you plan on teaching English there, job opportunities are extremely scarce.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 PM

2,482 posts, read 3,310,817 times
Quote:
A lot of people's posts have summed up quite nicely why I'm looking to get out of here. There are SEVERAL developed non-White majority countries. I've traveled all over America and if one thing is consistent it's this "We are the best and have the best of EVERYTHING, and we're the most accepting...", attitude without having been anywhere else besides America. I've talked to Black Americans who are much happier abroad, and have experienced LESS racism and/or no racism in countries other than America. Got to love that Western media, and how they portray the rest of the world. I see and understand why American's have such a negative reputation around the world. Places that I have researched that have excellent standards of living that are non-White majority are Barbados, Gabon, Seychelle, the Bahamas, Philippines, Nigeria, and much of the Caribbean those are the ones I can think of based on the little research I've done, I'm sure there's MANY more...Before anyone gives a knee jerk reply, please do your research.
I'm not American but places like Nigeria and Philippines are poor countries and many Filipinos and Nigerians are leaving those countries in droves. My neighbours across the street are from the Seychelles. It is only a small tropical island and extremely expensive and very difficult to be able to live there. There is not much of any industry there. You would have zilch opportunity of residency there. It is a French Creole speaking island.

It is not from the media that people get information but from people from the actual countries. Why are so many people doing everything they can to move to the West if it is all due to media hype?

Last edited by Bernie20; 03-27-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM

3,990 posts, read 4,924,130 times
Malaysia and Singapore. Both modern and booming economies.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 10,490,078 times
It also depends on the blackness of the person.
Are we talking Wesley Snipes or Will Smith?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,107,912 times
Seychelles or Turkey.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM

16,837 posts, read 19,058,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Realistically you are only looking at Barbados and The Bahamas if you are hoping to have a minimum chance of being accepted by the general population. Everywhere else you are facing third world living conditions, high crime, political instability, etc. Even in Asian countries with a high standard of living such as Japan, Singapore, or South Korea you will never be accepted as one of them as they tend to be xenophobic towards outsiders and unless you plan on teaching English there, job opportunities are extremely scarce.
Singapore is strongly different from Japan and South Korea in that it's a highly diverse country with the vast majority of its population being of fairly recent immigrant stock and a huge percentage of the population being first-generation migrants from different parts of the world (though generally south, southeast, and south Asian, but a noticeable population of people from elsewhere). Black people are not common at all, but diversity is accepted and in some respects even encouraged in the country. The only thing is that Singapore's laws can come across as fairly draconian with comparatively severe punishment--so littering, spitting, any form of drug use, etc. is going to be persecuted pretty severely. It's definitely a country for the very straight-laced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.