U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who currently is closer to the west?
East Asia 29 64.44%
Middle East 8 17.78%
Both are equally different/far apart/less influenced from the West. 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM

613 posts, read 845,096 times

Advertisements

Even though the Judeo-Christian and Abrahamic roots of the west lie in the Middle East, since the Christian realm of Europe and Muslim realm of the Middle East have been defined in opposition to one another, modern day people think of the Middle East and the West as very far apart in values.

East Asia is even more different and isolated from the west historically, religiously and culturally.
However, it seems Japan and S. Korea have had more western influence and exchange through pop culture and American influence, from evangelical Christian denominations among Koreans to the popularity of sushi in any corner store even in a small American town.

Which region now would you say is closer to the west currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
Well the similarities and differences are sort of different. Japan is both very eastern and western IMO, like some cultural things are preserved, but a lot of western things were imported through modernism and globalism. Japan was one of the first countries to industrialise outside the West (the first in Asia). Indeed, from the 1500s the Japanese adopted western military practices and began manufacturing and fighting with firearms. I'd say China, Japan, South Korea, and urban South-East Asia seem a bit more 'western' in the sense they're more socially liberal, whereas the Middle East (with a few exceptions) seems socially medieval in some ways. I mean public beheadings in Saudi Arabia? Stoning for adultery?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,250 times
Middle eastern people think that they are highly westernized but their system and policies don't follow at all.
East Asian people(Japanese and Korean) don't think they are westernized but it is not hard to live for westerner in these countries.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthlee87 View Post
Middle eastern people think that they are highly westernized but their system and policies don't follow at all.
East Asian people(Japanese and Korean) don't think they are westernized but it is not hard to live for westerner in these countries.
Maybe when you compare it to fundamentalist Islamic societies, but most Westerners can't make it in the Far East still. So, I'll have to disagree with that statement

Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 AM

6,549 posts, read 4,683,807 times
Ummm I think Japan and Korea are the kind of countries that take many things from the Western world yet still maintain their own cultures.
China is kind of like that as well,but since they have such delicate censorship,the Westernization isn't as full-scale.
While places like Singapore and Hong Kong are as westernized as a place can get.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,080,491 times
Developed != Westernized.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,646,237 times
East asians appear to be more open to the western values than people from the Middle East (what, obviously, doesn't make them westernised).

Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,646,237 times
An interesting feature of the western world is worrying to have influence in other cultures. I don't see eastern people thinking about how "easternised" are the other countries.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 AM

4,535 posts, read 2,303,654 times
East Asians while having unique cultures of their own are becoming westernized at a faster rate then any other region. A big reason is because a large percentage of them go to western countries for education. Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Singapore to me are already part of western civilization. Xi Jinping studied agriculture in Iowa, and has stated that he looks to America(and the west) as role models. My wife is Chinese and I can say thats true about a lot of Chinese, they desire to be more like the west while maintaining their own culture.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 AM

3,806 posts, read 4,999,345 times
East Asia

The Middle East isn't as different as folks think, but the more or less absolute monarchs and protected superiority of Islam is a significant difference from democratic systems of government and more or less religious openness. I will say they are lucky to have generally good absolute monarchs right now which minimize that difference in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or