U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,499,497 times

Advertisements

Interesting... Seattle is certainly becoming an emerging gay city but fair to say that there are still more gays in S.F overall - not just in terms of single male households but also couples as S.F has a higher population than Seattle and this measures concentration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,026,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Almost every major city has a large LGBT community. I'm having trouble rating them since I'm not sure of the criteria.
For example Toronto has the largest PRIDE parade in North America, but don't places like NYC and San Fran have more bars?

Are bars and parades really the way to rate these cities?

My city, Vancouver has a fairly large PRIDE parade, but very few bars. However there are scores of gay sports clubs and other organizations and the city is very gay friendly as are Montreal and Toronto.

As for influence? Is current gay fashions or gay cultural icon making ( Lady Gaga ) more important than equal Marriage ( Yeah Canada ! ) or having the first PRIDE HOUSE at an Olympics ( Yeah Vancouver ! )

For Latin America, Sao Paulo perhaps over Rio. Again, judging from the size of the PRIDE parade only is probably not the best measurement.

The reality of importance may not jive with the idea of what people think of as gay centres.
The largest number I saw for Toronto was 1.3 million and it was 2 million for NYC. Chicago and San Francisco are both in the million plus category as well. San Francisco's number especially shows off its prestige since one million people don't even live in the city of San Francisco proper.

Another interesting note is that LA's parade is so small by comparison. It drew 400k people last year, and you'd think it would be more.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM

16,172 posts, read 21,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Interesting... Seattle is certainly becoming an emerging gay city but fair to say that there are still more gays in S.F overall - not just in terms of single male households but also couples as S.F has a higher population than Seattle and this measures concentration?
San Francisco still has more male/male couples, Seattle has more female/female but Seattle's overall percentage is still rising while San Francisco's is not.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The largest number I saw for Toronto was 1.3 million and it was 2 million for NYC. Chicago and San Francisco are both in the million plus category as well. San Francisco's number especially shows off its prestige since one million people don't even live in the city of San Francisco proper.
While this may be true, I do believe Toronto has consistently over the last decade been home to the largest Gay Pride Parade in N.A. though if NYC keeps up its 2013 numbers than T.O will have its work cut out for it. Regardless, NYC is a much larger city so the fact T.O can compete with it in this regard is a testament to its gay prominence. This year will be big for us as we will be the first city in N.A to host Worldpride which is coming up in a few months

WorldPride 2014 Toronto | June 20-29, 2014

They are projecting 1.5 million but here's hoping we crack north of 2 mil..

Last edited by fusion2; 04-02-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
San Francisco still has more male/male couples, Seattle has more female/female but Seattle's overall percentage is still rising while San Francisco's is not.
Right but at the end of the day there are more gay people in S.F (not to mention it has a plethora of gay businesses/associations etc, so I'd say it is still a larger gay hub than Seattle. Seattle looks to be emerging and could very well unseat S.F in the future as being a larger gay hub but I don't think that is the case in 2014.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 PM

16,172 posts, read 21,478,415 times
Quote:
Right but at the end of the day there are more gay people in S.F (not to mention it has a plethora of gay businesses/associations etc, so I'd say it is still a larger gay hub than Seattle. Seattle looks to be emerging and could very well unseat S.F in the future as being a larger gay hub but I don't think that is the case in 2014.
You ever been to either city? I can tell you they are not at all that far apart. then again, neither is San Diego with one of the larger pride festivals and tons of gay businesses as well. I've lived in all three areas.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You ever been to either city? I can tell you they are not at all that far apart. then again, neither is San Diego with one of the larger pride festivals and tons of gay businesses as well. I've lived in all three areas.
Yes I have been to S.F and Seattle (liked both cities btw) and S.F seemed to me to be a bigger gay hub with a large central gay villiage. On top of that do you really think there are more gays living in Seattle than S.F and that there are more gay businesses, associations, NPO's etc.. really? Seattle has a very slightly larger percentage of same sex couples when it comes to living in a household and I think this is probably the only measurement against S.F that it comes out on top.. Otherwise as a gay hub I think Seattle is on the bottom vs S.F. If you want most people to believe Seattle is a larger gay hub than S.F you're going to have to show more meat than that one metric.. Jus sayin...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM

11,494 posts, read 7,913,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post

Another interesting note is that LA's parade is so small by comparison. It drew 400k people last year, and you'd think it would be more.
Stats at large events are always difficult to pin down. The organizers numbers are generally higher than the police numbers.

Most of the press does state that Toronto's parade is the largest, hence my comment. I do remember once being at Toronto Pride and standing on Church Street for the street party when I overheard two guys comparing NYC Pride on the phone with a friend. The guy said " no, no, it's much bigger".on second thought maybe they weren't talking about Pride

Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 PM

11,494 posts, read 7,913,027 times
Quote:
Yes I have been to S.F and Seattle (liked both cities btw) and S.F seemed to me to be a bigger gay hub with a large central gay villiage. On top of that do you really think there are more gays living in Seattle than S.F and that there are more gay businesses, associations, NPO's etc.. really? Seattle has a very slightly larger percentage of same sex couples when it comes to living in a household and I think this is probably the only measurement against S.F that it comes out on top.. Otherwise as a gay hub I think Seattle is on the bottom vs S.F. If you want most people to believe Seattle is a larger gay hub than S.F you're going to have to show more meat than that one metric.. Jus sayin...
I agree with you. Seattle gay hub used to be along Broadway. I didn't find it that gay the last time I was there a couple of years ago.
S.F. on other hand still has the Castro.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree with you. Seattle gay hub used to be along Broadway. I didn't find it that gay the last time I was there a couple of years ago.
S.F. on other hand still has the Castro.
I can't think of one city in the world more closely associated with gay culture than S.F.. Some other cities will naturally have more gay people in absolute terms (I highly doubt Seattle is one of them), but no other city is as 'GAY' as S.F across the board as a 'hub'

If we talk about homoerotic cities, than we shouldn't even be mentioning N.A... you'd have to go south of the Equator (and some other surprisingly closeted places) for that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or