Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins this?
Australia 20 44.44%
California 24 53.33%
Equal 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Which means nothing really, otherwise you could start arguing that the Asian influence in California is as big as it is places like Laos or Singapore. I have never been to the states myself so are in no position to add anything else.

Though i have lots of Asian Influence in my life - I am married to a Korean
Right, but that was in addition to having the same proportion (and other factors I’ve mentioned in this thread). California certainly does not have the same proportion of Asian population as Laos or Singapore does.

I think if we were comparing US as a whole vs Australia, it’s obviously Australia, but California specifically has notable demographic differences from the US in general and different immigration history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 05:16 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
I think it’s Australia. There’s big Spanish and Latino influence in California as well, plus plenty of much more lily-white parts in the East and North. My corner was already well past majority Asian demographics when I left 15 years ago, but it was still a real mix of that historic Spanish-speaking influence and the more modern Asian influx. In retrospect, we sadly lacked blacks to really round it out, but I think both Spanish/Latino and Asian plus is WASPs we’re diluting each other a lot.

I absolutely do not have my finger on the pulse of Australia, but I’d think their proximity alone would make them far more tied to Asia even before any actual immigration trends, which I intuit would be a bit higher than California.

Not having read through this thread, these are my raw, base feelings on the subject.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:33 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
California.
Yes, there it has the largest population Asian especially from East Asian and culture is very influential

Old 08-05-2020, 01:55 AM

46 posts, read 30,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
In California yes but just had a quick browse and in LA there is 1.6million Asians in the met area including South Asians. São Paulo definitely has more than that and when I was in São Paulo in 2018 it definitely felt that way.

There are about the same number of US-Americans and Brazilians here in the UK (about 200k each) and I've yet to meet my first Asian from the US, on the contrary I have met 6 Brazilians of Asian descent and 2 Peruvians of Chinese descent as well as 2 Asian Aussies. São Paulo beats LA in this regard.
You don't get to deprive Americans of a demonym because you're determined to be identified by a continental demonym as well. You're not an American, you're a Brazilian

We don't call everyone from Eurasia "Eurasians".

Old 08-05-2020, 01:57 AM

46 posts, read 30,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I think it’s Australia. There’s big Spanish and Latino influence in California as well, plus plenty of much more lily-white parts in the East and North. My corner was already well past majority Asian demographics when I left 15 years ago, but it was still a real mix of that historic Spanish-speaking influence and the more modern Asian influx. In retrospect, we sadly lacked blacks to really round it out, but I think both Spanish/Latino and Asian plus is WASPs we’re diluting each other a lot.

I absolutely do not have my finger on the pulse of Australia, but I’d think their proximity alone would make them far more tied to Asia even before any actual immigration trends, which I intuit would be a bit higher than California.

Not having read through this thread, these are my raw, base feelings on the subject.
California is much more influenced by Asian culture than Australia...

Old 08-05-2020, 03:26 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea686 View Post
California is much more influenced by Asian culture than Australia...
Yeah olgobolga we know you have never been near Australia and know zero about it.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah olgobolga we know you have never been near Australia and know zero about it.
Or should I say Irene?

Old 08-05-2020, 03:52 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
I was wondering where olgobolga had disappeared to.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I was wondering where olgobolga had disappeared to.
Enjoying a High Tea i would imagine

Old 08-06-2020, 07:29 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Or should I say Irene?
He/she comes up with some colorful names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World