U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,156,470 times

Advertisements

Invincible, you must as well copy and paste "U-S-A, U-S-A!" in every post. Your continuous cheerleading is a bit tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM

4,557 posts, read 4,820,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
When Germans call someone an American or Amerikaner it virtually always means a person from the United States:

amerikaner c (singular definite amerikaneren, plural indefinite amerikanere)
That's Danish.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Invincible, you must as well copy and paste "U-S-A, U-S-A!" in every post. Your continuous cheerleading is a bit tiresome.
Sorry, i can't hear you over my freedom!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 PM

4,557 posts, read 4,820,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't start that debate. I made a humorous statement, namely that despite not going to the US I might still go to America, namely Canada:

"But since American includes Canada, I might go there, if only it weren't so cold and there were more colored people " (There was a typo, though, I thought I had written America, not American, but since neither the property nor the person can include a country, my typo should have been obvious to native speakers.)

There was nothing arrogant about it...
I don't agree often with what you post (especially when talking about politics ), but I have to agree...

"Amerika" in German is just a word with two meanings... And it's not solely a synonym for the United States...

Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,321,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In your defense Canada is pretty much our 51st state...
Ai, you better get bodyguards, that statement calls for war, Bieber will hunt you down and torture you to death with his music

Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 PM

121 posts, read 82,945 times
Quote:
Like to many Europeans America is the continent to me (just one, we don't use the plural like in English). So Canada is America just like Brazil is and Mexico etc. Canadians and Brazilians are also Americans to me, not US Americans, though.
What happened since Obama was elected? Not much, unfortunately. I guess for most people who had thought the US would become a better country he has been quite a disappointment.

American-made products play hardly any role outside the US. When I look around me, there is nothing that was made in the US. All kinds of Asian stuff from Taiwan, Korea, China, Japan, but also European stuff from Portugal, Spain, Germany etc. But not a single American product. My computer is the only thing where there is some American stuff inside, the AMD CPU (though made in Germany) and the hard drive (might as well have been an Asian one, though) and Windows. CPU's is basically the only area where the US is still leading, although the development takes place around the world, often in development centers in Bangalore etc.
Medical devices, pharmaceuticals, etc. is all European here, there is no need for American alternatives.

The stock market does not mean much because in other countries even big companies are not traded at the stock exchange, but family-run, for instance Miele.

3 or 4 decades ago things were different, there were products that were still made in the US. Since I am into music-making, for instance synthesizers (Moog, Oberheim, etc.), but that market is dominated by Japan now. Music software is dominated by Germany. Hardly anyone wants to drive American cars here. I could go on and on.

Development in the US is also often done by Chinese and Indian immigrants, Silicon Valley would collapse immediately if only Americans were allowed to work there.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The intellectual property for asian manufacturing is owned by US companies. Medical devices and pharmaceuticals are all European? European companies manufacture a fraction of those compounds and devices. Do I need to list the players in the market? Back to the drawing board.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Yep, you may have hit something. I meet a lot of Europeans and Africans in Paris, and we really like to joke about each other's country or nationality.. We maybe act unconsciously the same way with Americans, but because they are not used to meet other nationalities as much as we are (for obvious geographical reasons), they maybe take offence easily.
It could explain why many find the countryside people more polite, because they are not used to do this either.
It isn't joking when it's used as an election platform.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great post. I've traveled around Europe and am married to a Brit, and have rarely had any anti-American experiences. Have had a few working class types mutter Americano when I didn't know something (like bus seats in Spain are reserved--some buses anyhow). People have also expressed surprise that we are not fat, because there is a perception in Europe that most Americans are fat (and let's face it....) For the most part, Americans are not associated with their president, but are associated with past actions that are associated with "imperialism." I was in Europe in the 80s and Reagan was extremely unpopular there but since I agreed with much of what they said, it was not offensive to me. Then the Iraq War turned many against the US politically.

Also, there are some annoying American tourists who simply cannot seem to acclimate to other cultures and the differences from the American way of doing things. They tend to leave a bad impression on Europeans. But, I have also been with Italians in the Bahamas and listened to them complain about the way the Italians there were acting --i.e., "why do they leave Italy if they are only going to complain about the food in other places?" And I've been with a German in Italy who was very embarrassed by the way German tourists there were acting. It seems all tourists are capable of embarrassing their fellow countrymen.

I don't think it would go over well here if those from other countries were talking about how much better it is at home, so of course talking about how great the US is somewhere else is going to put people off.
This is like an expat version of Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,321,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The intellectual property for asian manufacturing is owned by US companies. Medical devices and pharmaceuticals are all European? European companies manufacture a fraction of those compounds and devices. Do I need to list the players in the market? Back to the drawing board.
Some IP is American and European, but increasingly it is native Asian, a trend that is speeding up considerably. Asus, Huawei, the Korean multis etc. are already huge and they develop their own stuff.

The medical devices and pharmaceuticals on the European market are indeed mostly European. For instance, we have Siemens and Philips devices instead of GE or whatever you have in the US.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,150,248 times
Quote:
I am not Danish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That's Danish.
Pardon me, I forgot that Amerikaner is totally different in German. The definition is exactly the same, but we all already knew that.

Amerikaner pretty much always means a person from the USA, just like in English, and the dictionary shows that. Either way Neuling, American in English, the language being used, almost always means the USA, and especially in the context you are using it. It seems you are trying desperately to be facetious, and you come off sounding ridiculous. When we are talking about Obama and the United States, it goes with outside saying that the term "American" will not be interpreted as a Canadian person. Go to Canada and explain to everyone that they are "Americans" - let me know how that goes for you. If you are not trying to be facetious, you might consider adjusting your usage of American in English, because to native English speakers it will almost always be interpreted as referring to the United States not of Mexico, but of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I don't agree often with what you post (especially when talking about politics ), but I have to agree...

"Amerika" in German is just a word with two meanings... And it's not solely a synonym for the United States...

No one has said it doesn't have two meanings. Obviously one meaning is much, much more common than the other, especially when we are typing it in English to native English speakers in the context of Obama and the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or