U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Reputation: 8981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, for instance one should not say where one is from except when asked or necessary. And of course flags are totally taboo except for international sports matches maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Canadians would have no problem wearing maple t-shirts etc. because with Canada there is no negative connotation as it is perceived as a neutral country, wrongly or not. People know very little about it, it is not known for anything except ice hockey abroad. So people might actually be curious
So its only taboo for Americans but Canadians get a free pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,665 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding overtly displaying your nationality abroad (in whatever way)... my question is why would you want to do that anyway?
Because it is supercool to announce you're an American so that everybody "universally" knows you're a badass wherever you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,573 posts, read 25,637,861 times
Reputation: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Canadians would have no problem wearing maple t-shirts etc. because with Canada there is no negative connotation as it is perceived as a neutral country, wrongly or not. People know very little about it, it is not known for anything except ice hockey abroad. So people might actually be curious
Note I was only speaking for myself. Plenty of Canadians do wear CANADA stuff and maple leaf symbols etc. when abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
Reputation: 7955
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So its only taboo for Americans but Canadians get a free pass?
I mean flags, not prints on t-shirts or sweaters. Here many people have hand-held flags. And also bigger ones they hang from balconies, which is odd in my view.

Many people might not even notice what the maple leaf stands for

But I am sure people here would be more curious about Canadians than about US Americans. Canada is a bit exotic from our perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,573 posts, read 25,637,861 times
Reputation: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because it is supercool to announce you're an American so that everybody "universally" knows you're a badass wherever you go?
Go for it if that's your thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,573 posts, read 25,637,861 times
Reputation: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because i don't want to be mistaken for a Canadian.
Hahahaha! This actually has happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,206,536 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Canadians would have no problem wearing maple t-shirts etc. because with Canada there is no negative connotation as it is perceived as a neutral country, wrongly or not. People know very little about it, it is not known for anything except ice hockey abroad. So people might actually be curious
That's not true, if someone were from Canada and obviously wearing clothes of Canada looking like a tourist, they would certainly be at a much greater risk for robbery than someone who blended in better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,206,536 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hahahaha! This actually has happened to you?
Since I am from Michigan, I have a fairly strong accent and am sometimes confused for a Canadian.. in my own country

I just tell them, if they think I'm a Sydney Crosby fan they are going to get a black eye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
Reputation: 7955
The vast majority of tourists including Americans are actually rather friendly and humble. Like any foreigners they try to avoid offending locals, to do as the locals do, to leave a good, positive impression of the country they represent, not to make fools of themselves, to understand how to do things, not to get lost, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hahahaha! This actually has happened to you?
In Las Vegas and it was someone from some western state.

Not that i was offended or anything.

Minnesota is associated with Snow and Hockey and so is Canada so i guess it is kind of understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top