U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,321,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe because many of the people who choose to travel abroad tend towards liberal? Especially the young people you'd be running into. Vs. people who buy into tour group packages.

You ask the weirdest questions, sometimes.
I've only really seen it once here, and their criticisms of the US were just as applicable to Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,357,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
There doesn't always have to be a local angle.
Yeah others have agreed with me that the Olympics or news is just TOO Aussie focused. I understand there will be a local bent, but really, does almost EVERY event (or the vast majority) on the olympics have to include Australia in it? It's Australia this, Australia that, green and gold.etc. I mean I cheer on our athletes as much as anyone, but it's a bit too much..of course when flight MH370 went missing many of the headlines were like '7 Australians missing...'

Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe because many of the people who choose to travel abroad tend towards liberal? Especially the young people you'd be running into. Vs. people who buy into tour group packages.

You ask the weirdest questions, sometimes.
Maybe...I went on a tour of Italy with a lot of older Americans but we didn't talk in depth about it. There was a large contingent from Monterey, actually, interesting people to talk to.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,601,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems when I talk to Americans travelling abroad many try to downplay America, at least the nation (if not the place), and all seem pretty critical of the government (especially during the Bush years). Maybe it's the people I've met, but it seems many feel sort of embarrassed about being American at times, in contrast to the stereotype of them all being chest-beating zealous patriots. Maybe it's because of the general atmosphere of anti-Americanism one experiences in say Europe?
No ofrence but where would you see Americans?

Only 400,000 per annum visit Australia. You don't sound like you really have a clue. They do not act like that, infact when they come here they are very loud.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 AM

121 posts, read 82,978 times
Quote:
Yeah others have agreed with me that the Olympics or news is just TOO Aussie focused. I understand there will be a local bent, but really, does almost EVERY event (or the vast majority) on the olympics have to include Australia in it? It's Australia this, Australia that, green and gold.etc. I mean I cheer on our athletes as much as anyone, but it's a bit too much..of course when flight MH370 went missing many of the headlines were like '7 Australians missing...'
That's exactly what I mean. I've never seen anything like it.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah actually I've met quite a few from the Bay Area. It seems that type of person is more likely to travel abroad to places like rural Vietnam than your average hick from Tennessee.
But then Tennesee is thousands of miles from San Francisco so they'd be more likely to goto Europe.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
Anti-Americanism in Western Europe is widespread.
Maybe you should watch the graham norton show on a saturday night.

Most of western europe doesn't speak English. So they don't get influenced much.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,049,682 times
Quote:
Honestly that does not sound much different than the US coverage of the news/olympics.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 AM

121 posts, read 82,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Honestly that does not sound much different than the US coverage of the news/olympics.
It's nothing like US coverage/ news. And I'm not defending US coverage or news as most of it is infotainment, but it's a different kind of terrible.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No ofrence but where would you see Americans?

Only 400,000 per annum visit Australia. You don't sound like you really have a clue. They do not act like that, infact when they come here they are very loud.
Yeah they're loud, but I've never heard them saying 'USA, USA' or anything corny like that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or