U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
 
121 posts, read 83,388 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
I agree with Xander on this one. Some American take any critic as anti-Americanism while it's JUST a critic. Saying the Iraqi invasion was some imperialist crap orchestrated by a lying and insane US government is not anti-Americanism but an opinion with basic facts.

If you think Europeans were anti-American, how could we be the biggest foreign consumers of your cultural products ?



You are wrong. If anything your "media, technology, entertainment" industries are what people like about the US. What they dislike is your foreign policy and the US "exceptions".. From a foreign point of view, the US diplomacy is the same as Chinese or Russian. You do things when you want, respecting international laws only when it's ok for you, etc.. But US image improved since Obama.
I would say many Europeans dislike your government and some of your mainstream ideologies like gun's rights, anti-environmentalism or ultra-liberalism. But nevertheless, most Europeans do like the US.
You misinterpreted my post, which was in response to the Scot who claimed that the US wasn't really on the radar for him. It is omnipresent in the media of every European country for the very reasons that I listed. If you want to have a political debate, start another thread. I'm not trying to justify the invasion of Iraq. I do think that you're showing true colors by comparing the US with Russia and China. That's silly. A good example would be Vietnam, which has every reason to be horribly aggrieved with US foreign policy. Vietnam is more pro-US involvement in their region because they are all scared of China. THere's nowhere near the amount of anti-US sentiment in former French Indochina than there is in France! And then you've got Russian annexing the Crimea. THis is exactly why NATO should be disbanded. Let the Russians march west while you claim moral equivalence!

Obama's election must have been a shock for much of the world. Up to election day I used to read letters in the Aussie press claiming that a black man would never be elected in racist America. Obama exposed the people who claimed during the Bush administration "We don't hate the people. We hate your President." The lie has well been put to that statement. Nobody's saying that now - because you hate the people. You even state yourself that it's not the case, but then you view current events through an anti-US lens without a hint of cognitive dissonance. It's fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
 
121 posts, read 83,388 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Having a false notion about a country doesn't equate to being anti for goodness sake. Ignorance maybe, not hate or dislike.
It does if it's negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
 
121 posts, read 83,388 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My experience in Lisbon is that Americans and Chinese are rudely LOUD when they get in groups larger than four. And I do not find the English approach their decibel level.
I've witnessed too many example of poor tourist behavior at home in NYC to believe that Americans are bad tourists. Americans are provincial and they are often accidentally condescending, but if you've ever seen groups of CHinese, Russians, etc. Americans are well behaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,411,781 times
Reputation: 7965
I see it exactly like JedlaRoche. A lot of people don't have anything against regular American people, but sure against the nation as such, its politics, etc.

Obama's election was also a shock to many white people in the US, not just Aussies. Some Americans have still not gotten over it. Not that I am defending Obama, he has turned out to be an a****** as well. That is why there is no lie. Obama enjoyed a lot of good will initially. Only when people realized he was just another prick, did that more benevolent attitude go away. And since Snowden the US' reputation has suffered a whole lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
 
121 posts, read 83,388 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Good points Jedla. Funny you brought up anti-French attitudes because I was thinking of that.

There are Americans who have never been to France, or never known a Frenchman, but are sure that the French hate Americans and smugly walk around with berets, poodles, and white flags. These people call the French "racist-arrogant-smelly-cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys". You can show them polls showing that the French have more favorable views of the US than Germans or the British, or you can inform them of a slew of French military victories (ever heard of a guy named Napoleon?) but they will dismiss it. amazingly, the same people claim they don't have a problem with French people. It is baffling because the French have helped us more than any other European country in history. We never had a war with France, unlike Britain, Germany Spain, Italy, etc, and France has been our ally on and off since our independence. Yet incredibly many Americans perceive the French as the most dubious and untrustworthy of Europeans - the embodiment of all that is wrong with Europe.
The French take the stick for all of Europe and I agree that others are probably more deserving. My hope would not be to convince people to hate each other, because that's equivalent hateful ignorance to what I've experienced. I'd rather get on with life, but I'll not allow someone to pee down my back and tell me it's raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,734 posts, read 18,344,336 times
Reputation: 11256
What people around the world privately resent about America is that it is the world's sole superpower and therefore gets to call most of the shots and have the last word in crisis situations.

Well, that's just the way it is going to be for now and probably for the rest of our lifetimes. The world is a messy place and someone has got to do the dirty work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
 
1,198 posts, read 918,521 times
Reputation: 1493
I was embarrassed to admit That I was from America when I traveled to Italy in 07. I have family just outside of Florence that would tell people I was from British Columbia; however, the disliking of Americans is not anywhere near what it was the last time I was there from what I've been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,411,781 times
Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What people around the world privately resent about America is that it is the world's sole superpower and therefore gets to call most of the shots and have the last word in crisis situations.

Well, that's just the way it is going to be for now and probably for the rest of our lifetimes. The world is a messy place and someone has got to do the dirty work.
I don't think it is, it is basically a bankrupt country kept alive by lots of money transfusions from the rest of the world. It produces little the world wants because the quality is usually insufficient, thus the giant trade deficit. The only thing it got left is its military, but that doesn't help much anymore.
Nor does the world care whether there are 1, 2 or 15 superpowers as long as they don't turn into bullies, which is exactly the US' problem since it has lost all its credibility and moral integrity (if it ever had that to begin with, but now everyone knows).
Except for 2 or 3 good TV series and movies per year US cultural exports are crap as well. The times when the US produced good music was 3 or 4 decades ago. I wish the US made something good again, be in culture, or products or whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,162,826 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think it is, it is basically a bankrupt country kept alive by lots of money transfusions from the rest of the world. It produces little the world wants because the quality is usually insufficient, thus the giant trade deficit. The only thing it got left is its military, but that doesn't help much anymore.
Nor does the world care whether there are 1, 2 or 15 superpowers as long as they don't turn into bullies, which is exactly the US' problem since it has lost all its credibility and moral integrity (if it ever had that to begin with, but now everyone knows).
Except for 2 or 3 good TV series and movies per year US cultural exports are crap as well. The times when the US produced good music was 3 or 4 decades ago. I wish the US made something good again, be in culture, or products or whatever...
Is this why you made threads about trying to move to America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,102 posts, read 9,682,642 times
Reputation: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I'm not ashamed to be an American, but I don't feel the need to advertise it, either. The stereotype that Australians have about Americans is particularly galling given the effusive patriotism of the average Aussie.

Thank you for pointing this out. No one ever calls out Australians for this. Personally I've yet to meet an Aussie (and this in America) that didn't start talking shi.. about how wonderful and beautiful Australia was compared to the US. Australians are the worst imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top