U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,361,680 times

Advertisements

It seems when I talk to Americans travelling abroad many try to downplay America, at least the nation (if not the place), and all seem pretty critical of the government (especially during the Bush years). Maybe it's the people I've met, but it seems many feel sort of embarrassed about being American at times, in contrast to the stereotype of them all being chest-beating zealous patriots. Maybe it's because of the general atmosphere of anti-Americanism one experiences in say Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,109,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems when I talk to Americans travelling abroad many try to downplay America, at least the nation (if not the place), and all seem pretty critical of the government (especially during the Bush years). Maybe it's the people I've met, but it seems many feel sort of embarrassed about being American at times, in contrast to the stereotype of them all being chest-beating zealous patriots. Maybe it's because of the general atmosphere of anti-Americanism one experiences in say Europe?
No, it's because of the culture wars. The people you met are probably big city liberals and the opinion you described is common of this group culturally, even when I've spoken to them in America. The stereotype fits conservatives, especially rural conservatives. Both exist and as I'm sure you know there can be more extreme cultural contrasts between these groups in the US then you tend to see in other nations. But I'm sure an actual American could probably give better insight.

I suppose it's probably also a matter of manners. When you visit someone's home you don't typically talk about how it's crap compared to yours, you comment on what's nice about it, out of respect and manners. It doesn't mean you don't like your house.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM

121 posts, read 82,991 times
I'm not ashamed to be an American, but I don't feel the need to advertise it, either. The stereotype that Australians have about Americans is particularly galling given the effusive patriotism of the average Aussie.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, it's because of the culture wars. The people you met are probably big city liberals and the opinion you described is common of this group culturally, even when I've spoken to them in America. The stereotype fits conservatives, especially rural conservatives. Both exist and as I'm sure you know there can be more extreme cultural contrasts between these groups in the US then you tend to see in other nations. But I'm sure an actual American could probably give better insight.

I suppose it's probably also a matter of manners. When you visit someone's home you don't typically talk about how it's crap compared to yours, you comment on what's nice about it, out of respect and manners. It doesn't mean you don't like your house.
Yeah actually I've met quite a few from the Bay Area. It seems that type of person is more likely to travel abroad to places like rural Vietnam than your average hick from Tennessee.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I'm not ashamed to be an American, but I don't feel the need to advertise it, either. The stereotype that Australians have about Americans is particularly galling given the effusive patriotism of the average Aussie.
I agree, sometimes Aussie patriotism can be annoying, definitely.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 2,015,750 times
Quote:
This stereotype would seem to be out of date at this point; the Bush years are over. The largest group of people that you hear being vocally critical of the government at this point are conservatives. Sure there are people who are unhappy with Obama's policies and or are upset that he isn't liberal enough, but domestically their voices seem to be in the minority in comparison to the conservatives who want his head on a platter. Although maybe you've primarily run into people who specifically fit that group, so who knows.

As for the ultra patriotic American stereotype, if you want to go by the stereotype alone, they would be the ones who frankly wouldn't have cared if it was taboo or not to be patriotic, and many of them would have been Bush supporters back then and most likely supporters of ultra conservative Republicans today. That's if you go by the stereotype, of course.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM

947 posts, read 1,111,907 times
You are confusing patriotism with nationalism which is what the conservatives demand Americans live by.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,230,800 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd say it's taboo a little bit. Some people are even pathetic enough to try to say they're Canadian instead of saying they're American. I just find that to be ridiculous. I always say I'm American. However, I do tell people that I don't discuss politics.. but if they ask my opinion I'm not afraid to tell them. It's always fun being able to bash Obama.

However, I do not debate domestic issues with people from other countries and I will not listen to them.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,005,388 times
Sometimes we feel sorry for people who live in other countries.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,738,102 times
What's with this European anti-American crap? I can name you tens of countries that have a problem with America - none in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or