U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,651,206 times

Advertisements

No surprise coming from you living in a boring suburb.

"Look, we live in a rowhouse and we can watch the fields turn green while our kids are biking on the nice suburban road. Nice sunset as well."

edit: was that insulting? I think it was. Well, each to his own.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,513,770 times
Most people here yearn for the suburban life (after a certain age anyway).. I don't. I mean, the area I live in is nice, but it's a little dull. It's just cheaper to rent than somewhere closer to the centre. €2,223 a month for a small, 1-bed flat with a crappy old kitchen? Are you on crack? This isn't London!

That wasn't insulting at all btw.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-01-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

15,722 posts, read 18,329,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Many people in northern Minnesota idealize the rural life and identify as a "country boy" or (especially) "country girl". Traits of the "ideal country lifestyle" include:

> Living in the outskirts/boonies (though not all live there)
> Listening to country music
> Owning / riding horses
> Owning big pick-up trucks
> 4x4ing / mudding / ATVing / dirt biking
> Unabashed patriotism / nationalism about "America"
> Wearing cowboy clothes
> Not being afraid of a little dirt or mud
> Gun ownership
> Having a muscular build from work (boys)
> Knowing basic mechanics, how to survive in the woods, etc. (boys)
> Drinking Jack Daniels, whiskey, domestic beer, etc.
> Not being in the "rat race", doing chores around the yard / farm / house

Is the rural life in your country idealized? If so, how does the image of the "country boy / girl" vary from what I described?
American culture is a little bit strange in that there is an overall sentiment which "idealizes" rural and small town life, and yet the vast majority of Americans (probably ~80%) actually live in metropolitan areas.

So, it's one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things.

There is, however, a big culture and movement towards farmer's markets, fresh produce and things like that. Maybe people prefer to live in the suburbs and like to have some of these "rural" amenities. There are lots of little farms scattered about here in the Washington, D.C. area, for example. Great for hay rides and pumpkin patches in the fall and things like that.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM

613 posts, read 850,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
American culture is a little bit strange in that there is an overall sentiment which "idealizes" rural and small town life, and yet the vast majority of Americans (probably ~80%) actually live in metropolitan areas.

So, it's one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things.

There is, however, a big culture and movement towards farmer's markets, fresh produce and things like that. Maybe people prefer to live in the suburbs and like to have some of these "rural" amenities. There are lots of little farms scattered about here in the Washington, D.C. area, for example. Great for hay rides and pumpkin patches in the fall and things like that.
I don't think it is necessarily an American thing or anything but industrialized countries can idealize the nature or farmland they have still preserved.

I think that the "back to nature" thing happens after a country is already industrialized.

I'd imagine that countries that are still poor or developing might not idealize rural life because they are just slowly developing and escaping subsistence living off the land.

I think once a country is well developed that everyone can afford a good standard of living and industrialization then it makes sense they would idealize rural life, because they can live in nature comfortably (while still having amenities associated with industrialization like electricity, running water, etc. and technology).

Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 PM

6,096 posts, read 5,858,424 times
Rural life is not idealized in Canada but it's not stereotyped or looked down on either the way it is in some other countries. There's people who thrive in cities, there's people who are farmers or ranchers who produce food for the nation and for MAJOR trade to other countries, and there's city people who have weekend/summer vacation homes in the country or cottagers who live on little hobby farms with kitchen gardens and orchards in the country and commute to work every week day in cities.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 PM

135 posts, read 119,782 times
I think rural live in Germany is different from that in the U.S. What is considered to be rural in Germany? I think we in Germany consider regions with a high amount of farmland and forests to be rural. Areas where you can get lost between fields. I think rural living in Germany compared to the U.S. is more like a hotchpotch of urban, suburban and rural living in the U.S.

Many rural counties (Kreise in Germany) have a higher population density than mayor Metropolitan Areas in the U.S. I grew up in Kreis Kleve (Kleve County). People from those rural regions are often called for fun "Landeier" (hillbillies). The population density of Kreis Kleve is 245 inhabitants per m². That's exactly the same population density than that of the Dallas-Forth Worth metroplex. Are people from there also called hillbillies? ;-)

Some rural counties in Germany:

Emsland:

Area: 2,881 km²
Population: 313,000
Pop Density: 109 inh / km²
Farmland: 64.1 %
Forests: 17.5 %
Area of settled land: 8.1 %
Share of employees in the manufacturing sector: 31%

Willkommen im Emsland - Region mit Zukunft - YouTube

Kreis Gütersloh:

Area: 969 km²
Population: 352,000
Pop Density: 363 inh / km²
Farmland: 62.4 %
Forests: 13.7 %
Area of settled land: 15,0 %
Share of employees in the manufacturing sector: 40%

Kennen Sie eigentlich den Kreis Gütersloh? - YouTube

Kreis Kleve

Area: 1,233 km²
Population: 302,000
Pop Density: 245 inh / km²
Farmland: 64.6 %
Forests: 14.2 %
Area of settled land: 11.2 %
Share of employees in the manufacturing sector: 20%

Kreis Kleve ...more than a Lower Rhine area - YouTube

> Listening to country music
No, country music almost doesn't exist in Germany. No considerable differences in taste in music between rural and urban, I think.
> Owning / riding horses
No, it depends more on the income.
> Owning big pick-up trucks
No, farmer drive mostly a Mercedes with diesel engine
> 4x4ing / mudding / ATVing / dirt biking
No, but teenager from farms often talk about tractors
> Unabashed patriotism / nationalism about "America"
No, but people from rural regions vote more often for the conservative party. About 80% of farmers voth for the CDU/CSU
> Wearing cowboy clothes
No considerable differences in clothes.
> Not being afraid of a little dirt or mud
Yes, but I don't see a big difference between rural and urban population. Kids from urban areas like it also to build a dam in a stream.
> Gun ownership
Is very low, both in rural and urban areas. Slightly higher in rural areas, because more hunting.
> Having a muscular build from work (boys)
Valid for farmers. Manufacturing sector is in rural areas often also more important. That also leeds to more muscles :-) Urban people attend more often fitness studios.
> Knowing basic mechanics, how to survive in the woods, etc. (boys)
No, not really, no considerable difference, I guess. Maybe slightly higher in rural areas.
> Drinking Jack Daniels, whiskey, domestic beer, etc.
Less cocktails, more beer. Consum of long drinks is similiar, I guess.
> Not being in the "rat race", doing chores around the yard / farm / house
People in rural areas are often more conservative. In Rural areas are much more single family houses and therefore chores around the house is more important in rural areas. Residential areas in rural regions are a little bit comparable to suburban areas in the U.S. but they are more small-scale and not that monotonous.

Teenagers from farm families spend also hours in the bathroom to style their hairs when preparing for nightlife.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 7,922,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Rural life is not idealized in Canada but it's not stereotyped or looked down on either the way it is in some other countries. There's people who thrive in cities, there's people who are farmers or ranchers who produce food for the nation and for MAJOR trade to other countries, and there's city people who have weekend/summer vacation homes in the country or cottagers who live on little hobby farms with kitchen gardens and orchards in the country and commute to work every week day in cities.

I agree. People have a pretty good handle on what rural areas of Canada are like. I wonder if it's because our rural areas are easily reached from the city.
As you know in our neck of the woods, I can be standing in the middle of a farm less than an hour from downtown.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,252,829 times
Here, yes. Of course it is. Many, many, many people have a permanent cottage or camper that they spend weeks at each summer. My mom used to have a little trailer that would compress and open up with a crank. I wish we still had it.

Then there are some hardcore rural people. Often they are a little more simplistic and live their lives around looking manly and riding everyone else's asses about how they wouldn't survive in the wilderness for long. It's their life and they are very defensive and proud of living more off the grid.

Even here, I go to a university with a massive foreign population, and we can't get a decent frosh act here lately because there's too much demand for country/folky by the 'country boy/girl' crowd. You know that really corny 'yahooooooo!" kind of music? Yeah, seriously.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-23-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,252,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Could not disagree more. I know more than a few people who live permanently in a cottage on a lake, an hour and a half from work by choice. Even a close friend who has to use a satellite phone at home. By mid-winter everyone seems to be bursting at the seams to get out of the city and in to their camp space. If people could pull it off, that would probably rarely leave their camps around here. I'd imagine that would be nothing if not exasperated in BC of all places.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 PM

6,554 posts, read 4,725,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, naturally. The ideal rural life includes:

> Poor services
> Poor WiFi
> Gravel roads
> 19th century attitudes about the world
> High unemployment
> Poor prospects for the future
> Racism, but eat Döner once a week
> Oily hands
> redneck clothing
> 4x4ing / mudding / other hick activities
> listening to poor heavy rock, schlager and other hick music
> nothing to do but drink Jack Daniels and domestic beer
> Drunk driving
> Gun ownership
> Doing chores around the yard / farm / house
> Banging little girls under the age of consent
> Marrying relatives
> Afraid of trams and people looking different

Best regards,

a City Boy
Pretty much the same here except that we don't have any gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or