U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,481,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why don't you love me, Jenny?

You don't know what love is, Forrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,584,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Idk its not really that surprising some may come off as insecure.

Dealing with endless amounts of criticism, bashing, hateful comments etc annoys people.
If we are going to get all this criticism we should be allowed to defend ourselves.
I would doubt you would deal with much criticism as you have most likely rarely left the country..,

Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,534,510 times
Probably Muslims...
There's not much antiamericanism in the developed world (west) as the US is perceived almost a a second rate power.
People in the west are now scared of them ruskies, arabs, you know.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I would doubt you would deal with much criticism as you have most likely rarely left the country..,
Mhm whatever you say mac

Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM

16,477 posts, read 20,009,944 times
I would include every Latin American country, as each of them have an old ax to grind with the U.S.!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,778,125 times
Default Arabs yes, "ruskies" certainly not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Probably Muslims...
There's not much antiamericanism in the developed world (west) as the US is perceived almost a a second rate power.
Apart from the media , the politicians and the government, most French people have absolutely no bias against Russians and do't fear them!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM

554 posts, read 643,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Probably Muslims...
Nobody in the EU is afraid of Russians. They have no reason to be more afraid from them than Americans, because if something happen.. It's the beginning of a nuclear war.
And I won't say people are scared of Arabs, some extremists just hate them.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In terms of being critical of the American government, culture, the society/people in general:

I would say:

Canada
UK
France
New Zealand
Germany (to a smaller extent)

Not too sure about other European countries.
I think the majority of Western Europe is very anti-American. They have been this way for a long time. My father was in the military and we lived in West Germany during the Cold War, and I can still remember seeing many anti-American demonstrations (and then questioning why we bothered to defend them in the first place). And yet many people in Eastern Europe, particularly the Poles, like us a lot more (I think the Poles even erected a statute of Reagan).

Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Canada. Been insulted more times there than anywhere else. They do it very subtley like "such a shame you Americans don't travel much like we do, why is that?" they ask with a smarmy air of superiority.

The funny thing about Candadians is how well behaved they are in the US. You literally see loads of them up and down the East Coast in summer. Never a negative word about the US comes out of their mouth then.

Another one is Ireland. Irish can be particularly nasty about the US. I've had an Irish guy come up to me and tell me that Ireland built the US, and Americans were lazy (and this while I was in Dublin). I think what he meant was Irish immigrants helped build the US. I told him those Irish immigrants from 1860 or whenever were the ancestors of Americans today, so no it wasn't "Ireland" doing the building but Americans.

I found Spanish folks to be very polite and had a great time there. Same with the the Netherlands.
My brother-in-law is from Dublin and is anti-American (although that doesn't stop him from living here and even becoming a citizen), so what you said doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that they think we are lazy. I used to live in Kansas City, and there are a number of Irish immigrants there, almost all of whom are extremely lazy. The preferred occupation is part-time bartender, as this provides just enough money to get drunk on without having to actually work a full day.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,725,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In terms of being critical of the American government, culture, the society/people in general:

I would say:

Canada
UK
France
New Zealand
Germany (to a smaller extent)

Not too sure about other European countries.
From my own experience, I would say some people from parts of western Europe - in no particular order: (France, Germany and Canada) are generally anti-American. But on the flip-side, some of the nicest, hospitable, friendliest people I have met are from all these same countries.

I would love to live in any of those countries as I like the people overall. I just don't care about discussing politics any more for the most part. "Been there, done that" as some say.

I'd lived in Europe for a few years and traveled extensively in the West, so I did see anti-Americanism there and in some areas I did not mention, however, it was generally with younger generation (under 30).

And also some of the worst anti-Americans I have encountered are living in the U.S. so there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or