U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Being critical of ones government doesn't equal being anti-American. I really don't know why Canada is even on your list, since we basically have the same culture, society/people as they do. But yeah, Canada is going to critque the **** out of the American government, since every-single-move they make can have serious reprecussions for our nation.

Everything else you see on the internet between Canadians and Americans is a sibling rivalry that really, the rest of the world just doesn't get. We love eachother, we hate eachother, we'll defend eachother to the death. That's just the way we roll.
I agree with this entire post! Criticizing does not equate to being anti-American. And our relationship with Canada is just like that of a sibling. We poke fun at one another but let Canada face any sort of serious threat and the world will see very quickly how we really feel about our northern brother

As far as the main topic, I guess it depends on how "west" is defined as we have already seen some confusion in this thread regarding that. I'm just gonna add my choices:

France
Spain
UK (maybe, we have a special relationship with them too)
Germany (I'd say more so than the UK)

If we're going by western hemisphere, I'd say most of Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,480,916 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's not just the government. Many Europeans and others pretty stereotypical anti-American views like they're fat, ignorant, overly nationalistic, war-loving, blindly religious, avaricious.etc.
I suggest you go on to the European section of this forum where US Forum member ColdAilment seems to be obsessed with European Dental Hygiene and Bad Dentistry.

In terms of Americans, there is a difference with disliking or disagreeing with a countries foreign policy or politics and hating an entire nation of people. I don't think most people in Europe hate Americans or eve dislike them.

The main real hatred towards the US and indeed the West seems to emanate from a small group of Muslim Fundamentalists and other such misguided radicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

If we're going by western hemisphere, I'd say most of Latin America.
In Latin America, I feel like views are rather polarized. On one end you have people who hate the United States and blame every problem out there on us, and on another end you have people who love the US. I think a lot has to do with social class. The poor usually like to find reasons to blame other things out of their control (in any part of the world), whereas the people with more money seem to like the US a lot, and love travelling here.

I think the Europeans who bash the US are simply the ones trying to sound more educated or intelligent than they really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
 
1,561 posts, read 1,366,579 times
Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's not just the government. Many Europeans and others pretty stereotypical anti-American views like they're fat, ignorant, overly nationalistic, war-loving, blindly religious, avaricious.etc.
Dude, there are more roughly 450 millions of Europeans in Western and Northern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
In Latin America, I feel like views are rather polarized. On one end you have people who hate the United States and blame every problem out there on us, and on another end you have people who love the US. I think a lot has to do with social class. The poor usually like to find reasons to blame other things out of their control (in any part of the world), whereas the people with more money seem to like the US a lot, and love travelling here.

I think the Europeans who bash the US are simply the ones trying to sound more educated or intelligent than they really are.
Makes perfect sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I would say the most anti-American nation in the west is the United States of America.

I've seen enough of their news to know that one half passionately hate the other half and criticize them at all ends. Democrat. Republican. It doesn't matter.

And since the parties are roughly equal in size, that equates to half the populace of the country being angry and disliking a near majority of Americans as well as being critical of them and their policies.
Interesting perspective. This country has been divided almost as soon as it was born and even led to a civil war. We were the most united during the cold war and now that has been over for a while, we're back at each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Obviously there are ignorant people who hate Americans for what their country has done or for other idiotic reasons, no doubt.
US is the most powerful country in the world, it's obvious it's the main target.
^This. What many Americans don't realize is our government doesn't just effect our lives but the lives of many in other nations. We are the ones who vote our politicians into office so yeah, the world will have something to say about us too. I remember watching something a while back where a French girl said that the US government effects her more than her own government did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Reputation: 16464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
^This. What many Americans don't realize is our government doesn't just effect our lives but the lives of many in other nations. We are the ones who vote our politicians into office so yeah, the world will have something to say about us too. I remember watching something a while back where a French girl said that the US government effects her more than her own government did.
What could the US government really do to affect a French girl? I could understand if we're talking about some random 3rd world country where the US is doing more than they should, but France? Sounds like something Michael Moore would put in one of his movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What could the US government really do to affect a French girl? I could understand if we're talking about some random 3rd world country where the US is doing more than they should, but France? Sounds like something Michael Moore would put in one of his movies.
That may have been where I saw it LOL Can't really remember now. Didn't say I believed her necessarily but at some point, she said it and who knows how many others feel this way whether it's true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
15,870 posts, read 12,438,182 times
Reputation: 5056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Definitely.
All Latin Americans countries are.
Whether they are developed countries or not is a different matter...

(Haiti might be the exception)
Really? I think you might have a different understanding of the term Westerner- one that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

I don't think the OP was asking who was most anti-American country, in a geographical region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top