U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,347,821 times

Advertisements

Venice, Italy has many people who want Venice to break off from Italy. (Acutally it's the area called Veneto which contains Venice.)

Sardinia, the island that belongs to Italy, also has an independence movement.

Scotland is voting on Sept. 18, 2014 to break off from the UK.

I see problems with these attitudes. Most larger countries have more than one culture. Who wants every culture to break down into one country? Even Quebec wanted out from Canada. And you know about Texas.

Aren't there economic matters affected by independence? What would happen to Veneto's economy were it to break from Italy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM

4,557 posts, read 4,820,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Venice, Italy has many people who want Venice to break off from Italy. (Acutally it's the area called Veneto which contains Venice.)
That's getting way too much publicity lately... Seriously, those guys who want independence are lunatics...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM

664 posts, read 611,737 times
Venice is not even close to becoming independent.

Anyway, if you are interested in territories with some real independence movements and that even may gain independence in the future, you can check this site: New Countries-independence movements territories fighting for the independence,commowealths,autonomy

Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,212,743 times
About as much of a chance as Texas seceding from the United States.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM

101 posts, read 78,457 times
Catalonia, the Basque Country, Scotland... California...

Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,345,327 times
Yeah I doubt Venice will break off. What benefits would it bring anyway?

I don't see any of these becoming independent soon. I don't see much benefit to all these independence movement other than a feel good thing.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM

121 posts, read 82,945 times
At least Scotland has resources. What's the point of Veneto?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,377,115 times
At the moment the Scottish pro-independence side is way behind in the polls.

It's extremely unlikely that any part of the US will secede. At most some part of a state might secede and form its own state, but that too is highly unlikely.

I think Catalonia is currently the most likely candidate for secession, followed by Flanders and the Russian bits of Ukraine.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,871,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Sardinia, the island that belongs to Italy, also has an independence movement.

Scotland is voting on Sept. 18, 2014 to break off from the UK.

I see problems with these attitudes. Most larger countries have more than one culture. Who wants every culture to break down into one country? Even Quebec wanted out from Canada. And you know about Texas.

Aren't there economic matters affected by independence? What would happen to Veneto's economy were it to break from Italy?
What about it? Texas isn't leaving the United States anytime soon, nor due the vast majority of Texans, whether they are of European, African, Asian, or Latin American extraction desire such a thing.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,647,060 times
There are separatist movements in all of the world. Even here in Brazil we have several separatist movements proposing the independence of the four southernmost states, and if there were a poll it would not be surprising if most would vote for secession, but even for us these movements sound like a joke. I think it's the same case of the Veneto. Really, one of the first things which come to mind when I think in Italy is Venice, I cannot imagine it as a separate country.

Catalonia appears to be the most prominent movement, and I think it's the most likely to be successful (just my perception, since I don't know what is the real situation in Catalonia and in Spain). Abkhazia and South Ossetia are in the practice already independent, but they lack international recognition. Southern Sahara and Somaliland are other similar cases. With other countries I think it's unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or