U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,259,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
It's been my experience that most Americans should simply find another place in the USA to move to (if they're looking for a change of pace). Most Americans I ran into abroad simply couldn't cope with small (or large) differences in lifestyle, living standards, or even food offerings. I always wondered why they decided that India or Russia was a good idea for them -- when all they really wanted was the same lifestyle as they'd had in the USA.

This, of course, is not true for all Americans (including, I hope, the OP); I'm simply offering from my perspective and experience.
That's because many Americans who do choose to do that go abroad without any real experience travelling out of the country. They have a whole set of unrealistic expectations of other countries, and also a hatred toward the US that is probably not quite justified. Add those two together and it really spells disaster.

There are some people where it does work better for them being out of the country. However, those people who do move out of the US and are happy in the other country probably didn't move out because they hate the US. Complainers will be complainers no matter where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,309,478 times
[quote=burgler09;34257388]That's because many Americans who do choose to do that go abroad without any real experience travelling out of the country. They have a whole set of unrealistic expectations of other countries, and also a hatred toward the US that is probably not quite justified. Add those two together and it really spells disaster.

There are some people where it does work better for them being out of the country. However, those people who do move out of the US and are happy in the other country probably didn't move out because they hate the US. Complainers will be complainers no matter where they live.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly
Another related thing I might add: Moving to another country to get away from one's issues (or to get away from oneself) isn't going to make things better; in fact, it's far more likely to make things worse. Changing location doesn't change who a person is.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

7,994 posts, read 3,953,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
It's been my experience that most Americans should simply find another place in the USA to move to (if they're looking for a change of pace). Most Americans I ran into abroad simply couldn't cope with small (or large) differences in lifestyle, living standards, or even food offerings. I always wondered why they decided that India or Russia was a good idea for them -- when all they really wanted was the same lifestyle as they'd had in the USA.

This, of course, is not true for all Americans (including, I hope, the OP); I'm simply offering from my perspective and experience.

I don't think I can agree with what I bolded in you post. From what I've read from American ex-pats... they left because of the government and lousy economy/lack of jobs,and for National Healthcare.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,309,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I don't think I can agree with what I bolded in you post. From what I've read from American ex-pats... they left because of the government and lousy economy/lack of jobs,and for National Healthcare.
Sure, there are as many motivations for moving abroad as there are people. However, judging by the dozens upon dozens of Americans I met and knew while living in other countries (Ukraine, Mexico, Argentina, India, and Russia), I'll stand by my observation that more than half -- when it really got down to it -- wanted "things" to be basically how they were back in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or