U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,368 posts, read 5,220,368 times
Reputation: 2699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yep, being "Australian" is really about having a certain mindset and a sense of loyalty to Australia. In addition to Tony Abbott (we occasionally label him a pom if he's done something too "out there" for Australian sensitivities ) the current employment minister is German born, and the finance minister is Belgian by birth. One of our early prime ministers was born in Chile of German background, and one influential politician of the late 1800s and early 1900s was born in the US, but at times claimed to be Canadian .

I guess we're a pretty accepting place.
I doubt my wife who was born, raised and educated in Korea and who's family still live in Korea will ever consider herself truly Australian. That's not to say she does not like Australia, or is not loyal to it. However giving up the country you grew up in is not easy. She occasionally calls her own daughter a "bloody Aussie"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,732,308 times
Reputation: 3107
Exactly.

I think if I moved to America now and lived to 120 i'd still call myself Northern Irish because thats where I was brought up. Just like Puerto Ricans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,483,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Exactly.

I think if I moved to America now and lived to 120 i'd still call myself Northern Irish because thats where I was brought up. Just like Puerto Ricans.
Me either, I mean I can't imagine being not Australian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,732,308 times
Reputation: 3107
Yea thats why i'm sitting thinking why would a Puerto Rican be American...

Lol. Whatever I don't care at this stage. It is up to the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,193 posts, read 21,536,827 times
Reputation: 8361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Exactly.

I think if I moved to America now and lived to 120 i'd still call myself Northern Irish because thats where I was brought up. Just like Puerto Ricans.
There's your problem. Puerto Rico IS NOT A COUNTRY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,732,308 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There's your problem. Puerto Rico IS NOT A COUNTRY!
Well its not a state.. and they themselves call it a country.

Lets be honest its probably the most foreign territory there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,788 posts, read 39,988,977 times
Reputation: 14680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I will only consider them American if they move at like 5, any older and they are not.
Then we don't disagree quite as much. You said at birth.

Yes, I was thinking a lot of people who as a younger child. Maybe not 5, but like 7 or 8 and younger. Below that it's common to have no foreign accent whatsoever. Or only a mild one. Depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,294,106 times
Reputation: 11581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well its not a state.. and they themselves call it a country.

Lets be honest its probably the most foreign territory there is.
No we don't. We call it an estado libre asociado. In English, that translates to freely associated STATE. That is our legal name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yea thats why i'm sitting thinking why would a Puerto Rican be American...

Lol. Whatever I don't care at this stage. It is up to the person.
Yes you do care. Why else would you have made this topic? And, thank you, now you can **** and consider me American since, it is up to the person. I am American, I fit in here, not you. Why do you care so much anyway? You have no ties at all to this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yep, being "Australian" is really about having a certain mindset and a sense of loyalty to Australia. In addition to Tony Abbott (we occasionally label him a pom if he's done something too "out there" for Australian sensitivities ) the current employment minister is German born, and the finance minister is Belgian by birth. One of our early prime ministers was born in Chile of German background, and one influential politician of the late 1800s and early 1900s was born in the US, but at times claimed to be Canadian .

I guess we're a pretty accepting place.
Yeah, unlike in Asia and Europe where they are much more strict about one's origins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I will only consider them American if they move at like 5, any older and they are not.
Oh really? I moved here slightly older than 5, but my accent is 99.9% clean. You have no idea what you're talking about, boy. Tony Abbott moved to Australia older than 5 and everybody considers him to be Australian.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,483,336 times
Reputation: 2833
^ Julia Gillard moved to Australia when she was 6. I moved here when I was 1 1/2, so aren't I more Australian than either of them? My accent is totally Aussie too and I only speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,294,106 times
Reputation: 11581
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Julia Gillard moved to Australia when she was 6. I moved here when I was 1 1/2, so aren't I more Australian than either of them? My accent is totally Aussie too and I only speak English.
You are in every sense of the word. I would consider you to be all Australian. Only racist nationalists would say not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top