Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

1. Amateur (ham) radio
2. Golfing
3. Birdwatching
4. Geocaching
5. Trainspotting

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
1. Not sure what you mean by this, I know lots of people do small radio shows around here, promoting local music and interviews.
2. I can't stand golf. Everyone else seems neutral about it, but most people who partake seem to behave snobbishly.
3. I don't know of anyone who does this.
4. Some people really like this.
5. I'm not sure.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
1. Not sure what you mean by this, I know lots of people do small radio shows around here, promoting local music and interviews.
No--ham radio. An enthusiast gets a radio set that can transmit and receive, sets up an antenna, and tries to talk to other such enthusiasts around the world. It is very much like a CB radio (remember those?), but on a larger, more powerful scale. Hams would delight in talking to people in faraway places, and collect postcards from those they talked to. Of course, they would send their cards too. A ham's radio shack would have walls covered in such postcards.

I think that ham radio is dying out hereabouts. I've known a few hams, and in all but one case, they were my parents' age, or older. Perhaps in the age of e-mail and Skype, communicating with someone halfway around the world via radio is old-fashioned.

Golf: Not unusual. It is popular; a lot of people play it. Local courses range from the snobbish clubs to the common pay-as-you-plays. Saying that you're going to play golf today is received no differently than if you said you were heading to the gym.

Birdwatching: I know a couple of people who do this avidly. They're seen as somebody with an unusual hobby, but that's about it.

Geocaching: No idea.

Trainspotting: Like birdwatching, an unusual hobby. If you like it, go for it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I only know older people that are/were interested in ham radio.
Many people of all ages are interested in golf.
I don't know anyone personally who is into geocaching, trainspotting or birdwatching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World