U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 06:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 784,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Of course all nations aren't equal otherwise there would be very little immigration.
I get your point. And I hope you aren't talking about human rights.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,086,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Your definition includes all spectra of the the concept of "loving your country".
As you know, what you are saying is that "nationalism" if done "for the good sake of the country is good", now, take out "nationalism" and put "patriotism" and you have my words.
Now, since the concept of an idea gets its reputation from what it was used for: it's fairly evident that Nationalism has become synonym with "jingoism and chauvinism" (which by the way are words invented later), in other words, "Nationalism" is the extreme of the concept of "loving your country" whereas "patriotism" means the moderate part.
Said and acknowledged that, we can safely reckon that what you called "Nationalism" includes two main parts or extremes:
1) PATRIOTISM--> Which is what you defined "good"
2)JINGOISM/CHAUVINISM--> Which is what we defined "bad".
Now, since Nationalism has increasingly gone to define the latter, it's evident that you simply switched words: our beliefs the same.
Actually, "patriotism" is manifested as full support for the state and every decision it makes, without question. In some countries people have no choice but to be patriotic for fear of imprisonment or death, but many others make this choice completely free! Thus the phrase "blind patriotism" is used quite often. This is the opposite of what you and most people think when they use the word to denote a positive, when it really is a negative.

I am not trying to start a flame war here, but it's a word that has been misused for so long, by so many, but there really is only one definition, and that's it.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM

6,079 posts, read 8,868,686 times
I don't have national pride but respect, satisfaction, and happiness for the country I was born in. Alot of people don't understand that the U.S. may have it's flaws but with all other things considered, it is a very fortunate country to be born in. I thank God everyday I was born an American. I don't necessarily believe it's the greatest but it's pretty good.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,951,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Actually, "patriotism" is manifested as full support for the state and every decision it makes, without question.
No, it doesn't.

patriotism (plural patriotisms)
  1. Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's compatriots; the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which inspires one to serve one's country,  [quotations ▼]
  2. The desire to compete with other nations; nationalism.

Either you're wrong or the dictionary is wrong. I'm gonna go with the dictionary on this one. The American patriots who fought against their state, the British monarchy, would probably disagree with you as well.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 PM

579 posts, read 563,323 times
They are Nationalist
We are Patriots

Old 04-07-2014, 02:00 PM

13,064 posts, read 14,385,643 times
Is Romantic Nationalism a form of nationalism or patriotism.

It was certainly leveraged by nation builders and Nationalists, but I find it largely benign in and of itself.

Does Romantic Nationalism reflect the artist's and historians desire to celebrate and define their ethnic culture, or does it lower art and history to instruments for supporting ethnic chauvinism?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:56 AM

42,672 posts, read 66,777,219 times
Blind pride is no better nor worse than blind anything else. You are free to feel and think whatever you want, but if you publicly express pride, it is better to have a basis for it that will stand up to objective logical scrutiny.

The world is becoming a very negative place, and often, when someone says they are proud of something they were born with, what they are really saying is that they are not ashamed of it, in spite of prevailing rhetoric demeaning all that is foreign or out of the mainstream.

I'm Lithuanian, and I am "proud" of the fact that in the 14th century, Lithuania was the biggest country in Europe, that Lithuanian is the closest living language to the root of all European languages, and the Lithuanian basketball team beat the NBA all-stars in the Olympics. In other words, I'm not ashamed of being from the podunk backwater that most people think it is, and I can defend it by producing a few answers to arcane trivia questions that make my country seem awesome in a few peripheral contexts.

You cam find something good to say about anything, and one is inclined to be "proud" to do so about what one is associated with.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM

6,144 posts, read 3,874,685 times

We are dead last.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM

13,064 posts, read 14,385,643 times
That chart might be a bit more interesting if it were arranged with 'Very Proud' and 'Quite Proud' combined.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:05 PM

10,207 posts, read 10,385,587 times
National pride is a good thing imo but i don't like to show it, except for wearing my Orange Dutch football shirt when the Netherlands are playing.

I don't like to commit myself to one single country for the rest of my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World