U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,105,110 times

Advertisements

Human beings love to have pride in something (the religion they belong to, the nation of their choosing, the sports team of their choosing, the music of their choosing, etc . . .). It is as natural as breathing air and it comes as easy. To do the opposite is also the same principle in practice as they pride themselves in being the different ones/rebels. All of it should be taken with a great degree of "salt" as it is purely subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM

42,673 posts, read 62,698,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
We are dead last.
As this thread shows, people have very different ideas of what Pride means, even in the uniform language of this forum. When you start translating the question into different languages, it even redoubles the likelihood that a respondent will answer using very different interpretations of what it even means. Because of language, I'm always skeptical about any global survey that asks people about emotionally-loaded topics.
"Words such as love, passion, duty, are so continually used they grow to have no meaning — except as coins or weapons" (---Michael Ondaatje)

Timing is also critical. There are days when every American is proud, and other days when everyone is ashamed of their country. On what day were these surveys conducted, and what controversial event dominated the news in that country on that day?

What I do find interesting is the relative number of people who said Not Sure. Very high for Germany, Japan and China. Maybe that is a sign that people are well educated and knowledgeable about logical thinking and understand the complexities of the concept. And that their countries have had very ethically-mixed histories.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-27-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 PM

357 posts, read 254,838 times
Im proud of my country, because we are not proud of our country.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 AM

5,537 posts, read 3,174,974 times
Old topic, I feel like it's like this:

Extreme national pride, can hardly handle any criticism regarding their own countries from foreigners and locals alike:
South Korea, China, USA, Singapore

Also really proud but a tad less extreme:
UK, France, Australia

Claim to be humble but secretly think that they are better than everyone else:
Germany, Austria

Reasonable level of national pride:
Japan, Canada

Complain and complain, yet still act like employees from the national bureau of tourism:
Italy, Spain

Low level of national pride, borderline self-loathing:
Belgium, the Netherlands, Taiwan

Just some observations.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM

12,590 posts, read 14,755,855 times
National pride makes sense because "the world" is much too big and complex a place for people to have pride in.

Most humans are not really capable of identifying with foreign cultures, whether they like to pretend to or not. That is why people usually end up having bastardized understandings of countries other than their own.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 AM

1,336 posts, read 610,889 times
I think we should take pride in how we were the best/first sperm out of thousands of other sperms. We should all have pride in that...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM

2,665 posts, read 1,149,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Old topic, I feel like it's like this:

Extreme national pride, can hardly handle any criticism regarding their own countries from foreigners and locals alike:
South Korea, China, USA, Singapore

Also really proud but a tad less extreme:
UK, France, Australia

Claim to be humble but secretly think that they are better than everyone else:
Germany, Austria

Reasonable level of national pride:
Japan, Canada

Complain and complain, yet still act like employees from the national bureau of tourism:
Italy, Spain

Low level of national pride, borderline self-loathing:
Belgium, the Netherlands, Taiwan

Just some observations.
The only ones I disagree with are Japan and Canada. They both have a lot of national pride. I'd put them up there on the second tier. Canadian national pride has really taken off in the last decade. And they have a lot to be proud of.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM

5,537 posts, read 3,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The only ones I disagree with are Japan and Canada. They both have a lot of national pride. I'd put them up there on the second tier. Canadian national pride has really taken off in the last decade. And they have a lot to be proud of.
Well the showcase seems pretty tame.

I think it's more about the attitude than if there's anything to be proud of. Dutch people have a lot to be proud of as well but they only focus on talking about how boring it is etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,160,998 times
The Dutch don't have enough national pride, last week elections showed that.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,160,998 times
I love multi-culturalism without Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World