U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which
USA 1 6.67%
Canada 2 13.33%
Australia 2 13.33%
New Zealand 2 13.33%
Equal or No one is particularly more than the others. 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 PM

613 posts, read 845,096 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of just these, not the UK in the Old World, since these are all New World countries which have cities developing during the age of automobiles.

In which of these, for the majority of the population, wherever they live, city, suburb, small town etc. do people use non-car modes of transportation and not only that, but see it as more normal? I could just look up stats on things like transit use or car ownership etc. but I also wanted to get the feel of what people perceive "on the ground" in cultural attitudes and acceptability or attitudes about using alternatives to driving.

Of course these countries span diverse size classes and populations, so obviously for the US, an experience in NYC might be different from that in rural Alabama, but I am thinking about also experiences across the country as a whole (so more pro-public transit/walking/biking attitudes and availability spread across the country in many cities and towns counts more than those in just a few large cities). So which wins this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,584,116 times
Definately not in Canada or USA!!

I would say New Zealand.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,481,303 times
I doubt the majority population of any of these countries goes car free.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM

15,885 posts, read 12,449,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Definately not in Canada or USA!!

I would say New Zealand.
NZ has only two cities with any sort of train network, and middle sized cities only have very limited bus services. The layout of many urban road networks, making cycling a high risk proposition.

I would say NZ ranks last for public transport being mainstream. Canada , the US and Australia all have large cities with extensive public transport networks. I've used public transport for work in both Australia and the US, but never in NZ.

Even where there is public transport here, there does seem to be a bit of a stigma about taking it (sandal and cardigan wearing lefty, student, or poor person reduced to riding buses etc ). Wellington would be the big exception to that view (public servants), and Auckland to a lesser degree.

They all strong car cultures anyway, with probably little difference in attitudes towards public transport. I got my full license and first car less than two weeks after my 15th birthday, and have certainly squandered more than my fair share of the planet's oil reserves.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
Most to least:

Canada
Australia
New Zealand
United States

These are all still the most car dominated countries in the world.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,320,404 times
If you live in the suburbs of Melbourne, Sydney or Perth and work in the CBD, there is a reasonably high chance that you would use public transport on a regular or semi-regular basis. Otherwise your only experience of "public transport" is likely to be sitting in economy as you take a flight to Bali, the Gold Coast or whever you're going for a holiday.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM

3,360 posts, read 5,183,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
If you live in the suburbs of Melbourne, Sydney or Perth and work in the CBD, there is a reasonably high chance that you would use public transport on a regular or semi-regular basis. Otherwise your only experience of "public transport" is likely to be sitting in economy as you take a flight to Bali, the Gold Coast or whever you're going for a holiday.
Statistically someone from Brisbane is less likely to drive a car to work than someone from Melbourne and Perth.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM

30,332 posts, read 31,211,318 times
None of them. In each of these countries there are a few big cities that have good public transportation and in the rest of the country one really needs a car to get around easily.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 AM

950 posts, read 1,457,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Statistically someone from Brisbane is less likely to drive a car to work than someone from Melbourne and Perth.
Doesn't Melboure have better/more extensive public transport than Brisbane?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 5,183,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Doesn't Melboure have better/more extensive public transport than Brisbane?
Of course is a bigger city and had a more extensive system,the Australian census however dose ask the question about how the said person got to work that day. The answer for by car either as driver or passenger was Brisbane 64.5%, Melbourne 65%, a person from Melbourne is slight more likely to use public transport . However the people in Brisbane are more likely to walk, ride or do something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or