U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times

Advertisements

In NYC, the most streets are cleaned twice a week. Each side is cleaned on a different day of the week and during that time one must move their parked cars or be ticketed. This is annoying especially if one wants to go away on vacation and must find alternate parking for the duration of their time outside the city. So I was wondering if it was the same in other cities (big or small) around the world. How often are your streets cleaned (outside of set holidays) and what do you with your cars in such circumstances if you are out of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:40 PM

14,945 posts, read 16,534,340 times
I hate those things. So slow and loud.

I like the fact that some neighborhoods (not in my city) have rubbish men to sweep and pick up litter.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In NYC, the most streets are cleaned twice a week. Each side is cleaned on a different day of the week and during that time one must move their parked cars or be ticketed. This is annoying especially if one wants to go away on vacation and must find alternate parking for the duration of their time outside the city. So I was wondering if it was the same in other cities (big or small) around the world. How often are your streets cleaned (outside of set holidays) and what do you with your cars in such circumstances if you are out of town?
Here in Chicago, major thoroughfares are cleaned once a week; side streets once a month. Cleaning is donce from April through November. I'm guessing the reason for the much lower frequency of cleaning here is because we don't have to put our trash out in front (trash cans and dumpsters go in the alleyways that are nearly universal throughout the city) and we don't generate as much trash per square mile because of our lower population density. So I'm guessing trash doesn't accumulate in our streets as quickly as it does in NYC.

As for what to do with the car, the street sweeping schedule is posted at the beginning of the year so you can plan ahead to see if relocating your car while you're out of town will even be necessary. As for me personally, we have a driveway we can put one of our cars on, and if really necessary, we can squeeze both cars on it.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,646,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In São Paulo, it's the same of NYC: twice a week. However, most of the houses have private garages. It's not a real problem.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,633,756 times
In my town and the whole country streets are cleaned every day. Not sure about Sundays.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
In my town and the whole country streets are cleaned every day. Not sure about Sundays.
In my town every day but Sunday.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM

5,042 posts, read 5,519,453 times
Oslo, Norway:

No idea. Once a year?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
In these places where you people say the streets are cleaned every day, do they literally clean every street in your town every day? I mean, streets in Chicago are cleaned every day too (or every weekday rather) from April to November... they just don't clean every street every day. They're cleaned on a rotating schedule.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

10,293 posts, read 11,692,832 times
Saw many of these little street cleaning cars in Tokyo, don't know their schedule but i think i saw them twice per day cleaning the same street.
If there was one place in the world where i had to eat from the ground i would choose Tokyo.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Almost never. There is a street sweeping truck, but I don't think I see it more than about once a year. Maybe it just runs at night.I think it only runs on busy thoroughfares where there is no parking. If it runs on streets where cars are parked, it just goes around them, and some have been parked there for years with flat tires, or up on blocks.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or