U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:00 PM

28 posts, read 32,001 times

Advertisements

I was an exchange student in Usa my 2. year of High School. It was an fantastic experience, and I simply LOVED it, I would do anything to experience that again. The people are so social, so kind, I simply love the culture. And the country.. wow haha

Anyway, I plan to study abroad after High School. A bachelor in business is what I am aiming for at the moment. I really want to go to Usa, but at the same time, Australia looks so stunning. I feel like its a wonderful place to study. So.. basically, I have a couple of options..

Option 1: USA -> 1 Year in Santa Barbara, transfer to Hawaii Pacific University OR Berkeley College. This would cost me a total of 75,000$ JUST for the school tuition. I would also have to cover housing and food, as well as social activities. So it might add up a LOT.

Option 2: Australia --> 3 Years in the Gold Coast, north of Sydney. Southern Cross University. The school tuition would be around 60,000$ for the 3 years. And I would also have to cover housing and all that.

Btw, Housing is INCLUDED the first semester of each year, both in Usa and Australia.

I really dunno what to do.. America changed me so much after being there, I simply love the country and the people. But I feel like Australia is just as good. I also feel like it would be more expensive in America, but I am really unsure about all this..

Why do I wanna go to Usa?
- The people
- Culture
- Sun
- Beaches
- College experience
- Low cost of living
- SPEAK ENGLISH

Australia:
- Never been there
- Seems like an awesome place
- Sun
- Beaches
- Temperature
- Amazing scenery
- Ive heard the people are REALLY kind
-SPEAK ENGLISH

Could someone PLEASE PLEASE help me out here. Just tell me your thoughts haha.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,302,486 times
I guess my answer won't be ground-breaking, but anyway: Where do you want to end up after you graduate? If you know that, then I would recommend studying in the country of choice. I don't think the quality/weight of the education will be very different, but the connections you make in college can be extremely valuable in going into business afterwards. That is why I think it'd be smarter to do the degree where you think you'll start out afterwards.

Best of luck, you truly can't lose either way.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,319,735 times
Do you want to back pack or travel through neighbouring countries during semester breaks?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I guess my answer won't be ground-breaking, but anyway: Where do you want to end up after you graduate? If you know that, then I would recommend studying in the country of choice. I don't think the quality/weight of the education will be very different, but the connections you make in college can be extremely valuable in going into business afterwards. That is why I think it'd be smarter to do the degree where you think you'll start out afterwards.

Best of luck, you truly can't lose either way.
I'd like to work within the Economy/Business sector. To be completely honest, I might consider moving to either Usa or Australia. I don't really think that I will ever move to either New York (Berkeley) or Hawaii. And Australia has always been on my mind, it just seems like a wonderful country. America is awesome as well, but the connections I make there (Santa Barbara and Hawaii) will probably not help me anything, as I don't ever plan to move in those areas. Also, I cannot work in the States, while in Australia I might work while studying. So if I take all this into consideration, my choice would be Australia.

Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Do you want to back pack or travel through neighbouring countries during semester breaks?
There is so much to see in both America and Australia, so def back pack. But the thing is, I have already been on a roadtrip through most of the amazing places in America. And that's the main reason why I wanna go there again. It was amazing.. But I mean.. I have already seen it, I just would like to experience that again if you know what I mean haha.. But never been in Australia, and if I went down there, I would definitely buy a car and explore the whole country!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM

834 posts, read 886,680 times
Gee, cost of tuition or quality don't seem to worry you so much.

What nationality are you, I am curious? Just to know what are you trying to get away from. To me, you sound more like somebody who needs to travel around the world for half a year and have fun. Then study hard where the education is the best. Afterwards go back to the place you like living & working in.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Gee, cost of tuition or quality don't seem to worry you so much.

What nationality are you, I am curious? Just to know what are you trying to get away from. To me, you sound more like somebody who needs to travel around the world for half a year and have fun. Then study hard where the education is the best. Afterwards go back to the place you like living & working in.
hahah, Norway. Yeah I see what you're saying. The organization that makes this happen, has chosen the best quality universities around the world. So I ain't that afraid about that. The tuition fee does worry me, but it's not gonna stop me from reaching my dreams. Also, we get money from the government to make this happen. I would never do this without. I just feel like i don't want to be stuck here forever. I would like to get a good education, but in the same time, get out in the world. Meet new people, get new experiences, and grow as a person. Colleges here are so boring... The teachers teach, I don't feel like we have any relationship at all. In America, I had a good relationship with all of my teachers. They were more into teaching, and more into the student. In Norway, we have almost NO school activities, you go to school, get home, and pretty much sit home for the rest of the day. In the weekends you surely go out with friends, but I want to experience a little more.. And it's also way to expensive to go anywhere with your friends here, that's the main reason why we don't.. If you wanna go out, a coca cola is like 10$ in a cafe.

I'd like to have more activities after school, like maybe soccer, or just hangout or just go and do something, I don't feel like we can do that here.. All we do here is to play video games and get drunk lol.. I don't mind getting drunk, I just miss all the others stuff that all the american school have.. There is also no school spirit here, it's all **** lol.

I know I might sound like an arrogant and boring person, but I just miss all the fun I had besides school in America. Like, I think about all the people I met and all the things we did for like an hour every single day, and nobody realizes what I would do to experience my exchage year in usa again..

Hope this clarifies a bit haha

Last edited by micgrez; 04-07-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,839,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micgrez View Post
hahah, Norway. Yeah I see what you're saying. The organization that makes this happen, has chosen the best quality universities around the world.
Berkeley College or Hawaii Pacific University are far from the "best quality universities around the world". They may not be bad (no idea), but they're definitely not top tier. Why don't you look into scholarships and apply directly without an organization?
As a college student sun and beaches should not be your top priority and you won't make use of them that often. Also, the cost of living in California, Hawaii or NYC is prohibitively high. Maybe not as high as in Norway though.
Please don't forget that an exchange year in high school will be totally different from a 4-year undergrad. As an exchange student you probably had some sort of special status. As a regular student you'll be treated just like everybody else, all pros and cons that come with it.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 AM

834 posts, read 886,680 times
All right, I get your point of getting away from the oil rich Vikings. Northern Europeans are very reserved and over organized. You need some creative chaos and emotional engagement, without losing focus of a career later on.

Berkeley has a top notch undergraduate business program. You'll have the ocean and the mountains close by. Doesn't get too hot or cold. A great city and superb flight connections to Asia and the USA (or back home). And culturally it is as different and diverse from Norway as it could be, without alienating you. You are very close to Silicone Valley and that's where the jobs sit these days.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Berkeley College or Hawaii Pacific University are far from the "best quality universities around the world". They may not be bad (no idea), but they're definitely not top tier. Why don't you look into scholarships and apply directly without an organization?
As a college student sun and beaches should not be your top priority and you won't make use of them that often. Also, the cost of living in California, Hawaii or NYC is prohibitively high. Maybe not as high as in Norway though.
Please don't forget that an exchange year in high school will be totally different from a 4-year undergrad. As an exchange student you probably had some sort of special status. As a regular student you'll be treated just like everybody else, all pros and cons that come with it.
Yeah sorry. What I meant, is that they chose good quality colleges that would partner up with them, and admit international students through this program. Not the best ofc, but decent.For some reason it seems more expensive, cause they all have enormous out of stat tuition fees. And the tuition through the organization seem to be a bit lower for some weird reason. Yeah I gotcha, sun and beaches would just be a bonus. The main thing about that, is that I come from a country where it's ****ty weather all the time. I need a change, cause I love to spend time outside ha. The cost of living is high, I can agree on that, but I think I will manage I mean, they have walmart and stuff haha

Yeah, that might be true.. But people are just so open and friendly anyway. I could literally just talk to some random stranger in the store for like 5 mins. Here in Norway, if you do that, they will think you're crazy lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or