U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city has the most American feel to it?
Vienna 0 0%
Zurich 0 0%
Vancouver 7 10.77%
Auckland 0 0%
Düsseldorf 0 0%
Sydney 2 3.08%
Copenhagen 0 0%
Amsterdam 0 0%
Brussels 0 0%
Luxembourg 0 0%
Stockholm 0 0%
Oslo 0 0%
Dublin 1 1.54%
Singapore 2 3.08%
Paris 1 1.54%
Helsinki 0 0%
London 1 1.54%
Tokyo 1 1.54%
Milan 0 0%
Barcelona 0 0%
Lisbon 0 0%
Geneva 0 0%
Frankfurt 1 1.54%
Wellington 1 1.54%
Toronto 40 61.54%
Some other world city 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,525,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
The most visited by americans is by far Paris,France.
I think more Americans visit Cancun than Paris.. Having said that, it doesn't make Cancun or Paris more American just because a lot of Americans visit those places lol.

Budget Travel Vacation Ideas: 10 Most Visited Cities in the World | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,148,421 times
I just got back from my 3rd trip to Toronto, and layout wise, it's more American-feeling (more sprawl outside the city; big freeways, etc) than Vancouver, but Vancouver is more similar to its neighboring US city (Seattle) than Toronto is to the Upstate NY cities.

However, Toronto has a lot more British-sounding street names, they have French on the freeway signs, it has a more overall global feel so I can tell I was still in a different country; the transition between Vancouver & Seattle is less stark.

Further, I think more of the traditional Canadian stereotypes are more evident in Toronto, than Vancouver

Singapore is the most American-feeling city in Asia....and Sydney will be the most outside of N America

Last edited by f1000; 04-15-2014 at 10:41 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,498,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Milton Keynes always gets mentioned on threads like this one. The obvious ones on the list: Vancouver, Toronto, Auckland, Sydney and Wellington. The rest? Not really.
Milton Keynes is more of a town than a city, and doesn't have skyscrapers. It does however have a grid system, and is a series of massive tree lined suburbs with retail malls, tree lined office and light industrial boulevards based around the car. It is like one of those nondescript carbon copy towns you often come across in the US with the same hotel chains, drive in's and retail outlets and the same nondescript mass of suburbs.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I just got back from my 3rd trip to Toronto, and layout wise, it's more American-feeling (more sprawl outside the city; big freeways, etc) than Vancouver, but Vancouver is more similar to its neighboring US city (Seattle) than Toronto is to the Upstate NY cities.

However, Toronto has a lot more British-sounding street names, they have French on the freeway signs, it has a more overall global feel so I can tell I was still in a different country; the transition between Vancouver & Seattle is less stark.

Further, I think more of the traditional Canadian stereotypes are more evident in Toronto, than Vancouver

Singapore is the most American-feeling city in Asia....and Sydney will be the most outside of N America
Good observations.

Well Singapore feels American in terms of it's modernity/development, lack of dirty/slummy parts, organised traffic, and of course having almost every chain store/fast food place you can get in America, but of course in some ways is as different as a first world country can get.

I'd actually say Perth is the most American-feeling city in Australia, especially to San Diego. SD is the most Australian feeling city in the US, even down to the eucalyptus trees.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM

42,666 posts, read 71,897,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And Toronto remains the only Canadian city with a Baseball team in MLB. To the best of my knowledge, Vancouver never had one but Montreal used to.
Only Toronto and Montreal were in the major leagues. At the highest (AAA) level of minor leagues, the last Canadian survivor was Ottawa (2007) and Edmonton (2004). Vancouver was once in AAA, until 1999, but now plays in a A-short season league, with teams like Boise and Everett. A few other Canadian cities had teams in the lower minor leagues until the late 90's, such as Medicine Hat and St. Catherines, while London and Winnipeg were in high-level Independent leagues. But now Canada is basically devoid of professional baseball, except for the Toronto Blue Jays.

However, a surprisingly high level of professional baseball is now played in leagues in very un-American countries like Italy and Netherlands, with a few former major leaguers now playing there. Not to mention Japan and the Dominican Republic, with nearly every MLB team having several players from those countries. There has been league basesball in South Africa since the Apartheid era, and a South African player was on a major league roster during spring traininig. So the presence of baseball no longer marks a city as "American" in character.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,546,604 times
Miami

Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM

20,715 posts, read 25,835,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only Toronto and Montreal were in the major leagues. At the highest (AAA) level of minor leagues, the last Canadian survivor was Ottawa (2007) and Edmonton (2004). Vancouver was once in AAA, until 1999, but now plays in a A-short season league, with teams like Boise and Everett. A few other Canadian cities had teams in the lower minor leagues until the late 90's, such as Medicine Hat and St. Catherines, while London and Winnipeg were in high-level Independent leagues. But now Canada is basically devoid of professional baseball, except for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Quebec City actually has a pro baseball team called Les Capitales which plays in the small CanAm league. Not sure what level it is. Maybe A or even lower.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM

11,511 posts, read 7,940,022 times
Quote:

Vancouver maybe less of a contrast, but as far as British sounding names, I'd argue it's on par with Toronto. You do enter BRITISH COLUMBIA, driving through SURREY and past NEW WESTMINSTER into the city which has QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK which is located a few blocks KING EDWARD AVE. The capital of the province is VICTORIA. The lists goes on and on.

My take, after visiting Seattle for many, many years is, that I don't get a Vancouver vibe there at all. San Francisco has parts that make me feel I could be in Vancouver.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,195,709 times
Quote:

Was waiting for someone to say that...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Was waiting for someone to say that...
Actually one could argue KL is more 'American' because it's more car-orientated, traffic jams.etc, but residential density still seems more dense, with mostly high-rises, although there are a lot of terrace houses and a few wealthy suburbs with large bungalows among leafy surrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or