U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,357,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
As for the UK Economy it's predicted to enjoy significant growth in the future, however the most rapid growth is set to be in the Far East rather than the UK or US.

Britain 'will become biggest economy in Europe' - Telegraph

Britain 'will be Europe's top economy by 2030' | Business | The Guardian

BBC News - UK could be Europe's 'largest' economy by 2030
Why do you think the UK economy will overtake Germany?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,484,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes I am aware of how close those cities are, but again, I just wanted to compare the UK with BosWash.
You just need look at the figures, the BosWash does indeed have a bigger GDP than the UK, and indeed France ans Germany. It is one of the predominant financial regions in the US, which still holds the title of richest country in the world and the BosWash has a higher GDP than every world country bar the US itself, China and Japan.

A dozen US Mega Regions account for 75% of all US GDP, the BosWash being the largest of these.

'Mega-Regions' Produce 75 Percent Of US GDP

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I don't recall writing the report it was written by the Centre for Economic and Business Research.

In terms of German Economic Strength, there are two problems the first being Germany's declining population and the second being that the service sector is a higher value-added sector when compared to manufacturing. What this means is that the value of what is produced by sectors is often greater than other sectors, for instance the Chinese may produce a lot of low price goods but they are often not as valuable to the economy as more skilled sectors in terms of goods and services, and the Germans recognise this problem themselves.

Population Pyramid of Germany

Not that the UK doesn't manufacture as well, indeed a lot of very high quality luxury goods are manufactured in the UK.

The myth of Britain's manufacturing decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

"Ten years ago, we in Germany were looking at the much higher value-added potential of the UK service sector," says Mr Kohl.

"There are limits to adding value in manufacturing. If you want to be rich and move up the value chain, you need to be in services."

As unlikely as it seems, perhaps one day Germany will once again look to others for inspiration.

BBC News - German economic strength: The secrets of success

Last edited by Bamford; 04-15-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,736,414 times
Yes I have read from various and credible sources that the UK is expected to overtake Germany.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,601,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Then again London to Paris is a similar distance to NYC to Boston and Brussels and other European cities aren't that far from London, so it all depends how you put together economic regions and what is included.

BosWash being very much centred on NYC, and the UK has London at it's financial heart, a city predicted to grow substantially in terms of GDP in the next twenty years and a city which has had to come back from the destruction and devastation of WW2, food and other rationing until the 1950's and bankruptcy to get where it is now. Indeed it has taken over half a century for London to get back to being an international world leader, such was the devastation of WW2 both in terms of the destruction and indeed the financial toll, which also led to the loss of Empire, a loss of much of London's trade and whole swathes of the city around the vast Docklands becoming wastelands.

London and the UK now has a chance to actually consolidate on the economic growth of the last few decades, with the UK is predicted to overtake Germany in terms of GDP by 2030.

As for BosWash it's over four thousand miles from the UK and in a different time zone, so you may as well quote a region from China or Japan that has stronger economic performance than the entire UK and I am sure regions in the Far East will overtake BosWash in terms of economic power the coming decades.
Its 2,900 miles from my house to Boston and 3,300 from London.

Don't know where you are getting 4,000 miles from sorry love.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Germany is in decline and UK is rapidly growing...

House prices have started to rise and there is lots of investment. Even here.

Germanys population is also falling.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Its 2,900 miles from my house to Boston and 3,300 from London.

Don't know where you are getting 4,000 miles from sorry love.
It doesn't matter to me if it's three or four thousand it's still a long way away, which was my original point, and you don't have to be sorry or call me love - ROFL.

Last edited by Bamford; 04-15-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Well not really that far but I get your point.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,841,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yes I have read from various and credible sources that the UK is expected to overtake Germany.
How credible are sources that predict what is going to happen in 10+ years though? Nobody really can tell. For every prediction there is the exact opposite prediction by somebody else. Guess only time will tell who's going to be right. 10 years ago not many people would've expected things to be as they are today.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,736,414 times
Even if it doesn't materialise - getting anywhere near a powerhouse like Deutschland sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or