U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,772,215 times

Advertisements

I love my diary. Thank goodness I have no problems with it.

Map of Lactose Tolerance.

Map of Lactose Tolerance in Europe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,772,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
So that means virtually everyone is from Ukraine or has some Southeastern European in them.
By the maps I posted the highest amount of lactose tolerant people appear to be in North West Europe.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM

16,138 posts, read 21,392,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I'm also curious since if this is really about ancestry alone or can exposure make one more likely to digest dairy well, wouldn't you expect people who trace their roots to populations more likely to be lactose intolerant drink less milk or eat less dairy, even after living in a western nation, but just by impression it seems like black Americans or Asian-Americans (at least assimilated ones) don't eat any less cheeseburgers or have milk and cereal growing up as kids any less than other Americans.
Cheese for whatever reason doesn't seem to have the same effect. Most Blacks and Asians I have known don't really sit down with a glass of milk very often. I know for me it's because for one I don't like it and secondly, it does upset my stomach. I actually stopped drinking milk when I was five.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,458,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Not really.
What?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
So that means virtually everyone is from Ukraine or has some Southeastern European in them.
Yes. Most of modern Europeans are originally from the banks of Volga and Ukraine. So yes, we are all Russian in that sense.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM

14,941 posts, read 16,534,340 times
'Russian' is a culture that didn't exist when some European ancestors lived in that area (around the Black Sea).

All agricultural phenomena from grain to dairy moved in a general southeast to northwest from the Middle East where agricultural innovations occured, through southeastern Europe to northwest Europe.

The reason norwestern Europe has the highest tolerance for lactose is that reliance on dairy as a calorie source in lands where fertile farming land was scarce resulted in a condition of natural selection for the trait.

East Africa is the second highest region of the world in terms of lactose tolerant population on the savannah regions where grain agriculture is marginal at best and most peoples herd cattle for a living.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Cheese for whatever reason doesn't seem to have the same effect. Most Blacks and Asians I have known don't really sit down with a glass of milk very often. I know for me it's because for one I don't like it and secondly, it does upset my stomach. I actually stopped drinking milk when I was five.
Interesting I've become more tolerant as I've grown older, maybe because I have more body mass to compensate (a thought that just came up)? Then again I often have cereal with milk. I don't usually have problems but occasionally I will. I can handle say a glass of milk, but if I had a glass of milk, some ice cream, and then some yoghurt I might have some mild symptoms.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,878,222 times
I've heard that once a population starts eating dairy on a regular basis, the mutation sets in and after a while, most people in the population can eat it. What I don't get is how they would ever start eating dairy on a regular basis in the first place if it makes them so miserable.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:49 PM

2,986 posts, read 1,959,019 times
I'm slighly lactose intolerant, i can't drink milk but have no problems with most cheeses or even with yoghurt as long as it is in small quantities. Anyway, i'm surprised by how high the numbers for Eastern Africa are, thought they were lactose intolerant as well for some reason

Old 01-07-2016, 02:58 AM

919 posts, read 561,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
What I don't get is how they would ever start eating dairy on a regular basis in the first place if it makes them so miserable.
In Japan, it was because Douglas MacArthur demanded Japan.

BTW, Holy Cow! Study Suggests Milk Is Bad For Bones, Heart. Has The Medical Establishment Lied To Us?
A new study published in the British Medical Journal followed more than 100,000 people in Sweden over periods of 20 to 30 years. The result was a shocker: The good milk drinkers were more likely to die from heart disease and cancer, and among the women, the milk drinkers suffered more overall fractures and hip fractures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or