U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,035,490 times

Advertisements

Kimchi = Saeurkraut
Both countries are about 1/3 Christian
Both are divided, Germany on an official basis until 1990 but still in an economic sense today
Both have very powerful economies and are extremely modern
Both countries have their own take on American-style pop culture
The languages have a vague phonological similarity

What else can you think of? Korea is kinda like the "Germany" of Asia in my opinion, while Japan is like the England of Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Well officially isn't Germany like 70% Christian? Like 30% Protestant and 30% Catholic? In reality though the percentage who are really believers i about 30% yes.

I don't really see the two as particularly similar otherwise.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM

490 posts, read 1,410,213 times
I want to say the Korea is like the Ireland of Asia, but I guess Germany could fit in...though I think Germany would be more like Japan.

If we would compare East Asia and Western Europe, I would say that ...

Korea would be Ireland
Japan would be Germany/England due to being really highly productive, polite, stoic and robotic.
China I'm thinking like eastern europe like Poland or something...I don't know. Philippines would be Mexico, though that's not Europe

and now I have no idea about the other countries.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
China would clearly be like Russia, and also like Italy.

Macau like Monaco

Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 PM

59 posts, read 83,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I want to say the Korea is like the Ireland of Asia,
Korea would be Ireland
I find this to be troubling, disturbing, and insulting. [sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Japan would be Germany/England due to being really highly productive, polite, stoic and robotic.
More seriously, in terms of productivity, Japan and Korea do pretty **** poor.

Koreans work 30% more than Americans and produce about 45% as much as Americans per person per hour. In simpler words, if an American produces 100 units in an hour, Koreans would produce 43 units.
The Japanese would produce 63.
The Germans would produce 92.
Irish, 111.
Norwegians, 136. [we need to be wary of anyone from Norway]

Level of GDP per capita and productivity

Living in Korea, seeing the sheer number of hours worked is shocking. Getting to the office at 8am and getting home before 9pm is generally considered "pretty good working hours." I have some friends working at Samsung, they've not had a weekend off in a few years. "Overtime payment"...what is this device you speak of?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 AM

369 posts, read 760,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Kimchi = Saeurkraut
Both countries are about 1/3 Christian
Both are divided, Germany on an official basis until 1990 but still in an economic sense today
Both have very powerful economies and are extremely modern
Both countries have their own take on American-style pop culture
The languages have a vague phonological similarity

What else can you think of? Korea is kinda like the "Germany" of Asia in my opinion, while Japan is like the England of Asia.
It should be...

China: France of Asia
Japan: Germany of Asia
Korea: Belgium of Asia

Like France, China has experienced periods of relatively strong nationalist fervour (i.e. Boxer Rebellion, 1911 Revolution). French monarchical power effectively ended with the French Revolution in the late 1700s while the Chinese monarchy was overthrown in 1912.

Through modern history, both France and China had been weakened by internal divisions (the former due to left-right tensions, the latter due to warlord states and CCP-KMT tensions).

Just as France has constantly been attacked by Germany (her bitterest enemy in Europe), China had constantly been attacked and humiliated by Japan.

Like Germany, Japan was a new player in the scramble for colonial possessions in the 20th century. Both countries had clear ambitions of conquests and envisioned themselves of having a strong empire and prestige. They were also highly regimented societies then (though Japan is still one currently) where unquestioned loyalty to their leader was required. The prevalence of fascism and strong desires for overseas prestige and conquests paved their path toward World War 2.

Both Japan and Germany also generally have hardworking people whose work ethic entails paying attention to details with a high level of precision (quality over quantity).

Like Belgium (which has been overshadowed by her Dutch, German and French neighbours throughout history), Korea faced the same situation albeit by Russia, China and Japan. As such, both countries suffered some sort of identity crisis.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 PM

490 posts, read 1,410,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
It should be...

Like Belgium (which has been overshadowed by her Dutch, German and French neighbours throughout history), Korea faced the same situation albeit by Russia, China and Japan. As such, both countries suffered some sort of identity crisis.

I agree with everything else, only I think Koreans have a strong character, they get mad easily and quickly over the simplest things. Going with a Korean girl is like biting into a Chili Pepper. Belgians wouldn't be like that at all.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM

301 posts, read 376,880 times
Belgium. Lol

Only four people live in Belgium
And two of them are French

Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Sexy names
Efficient

Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM

448 posts, read 467,658 times
The economic gap between West Germany and Modern East Germany has narrowed a lot.
Germany has less cultural influence on other countries compared with South Korea.

Korea is like Ireland because both resent former occupation by their neighbors.

Germany is the largest developed economy in Europe, Japan is the largest developed economy in Asia. South Korea is the 2nd largest developed economy in Asia. Germany's and Japan's GDP per capita are currently above EU's average. South Korea's is below EU's average.

Yes, they have a strong character. Koreans are more emotional. Some Chinese people say Chinese who enjoy spicy Chinese cuisine also have similar "spicy" character. Japanese usually are more subtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or