U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 8,908 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm Italian and I live in an Italian village of 800 inhabitants , I apologize if I was wrong to write something, but I'm not unfamiliar with English.
I wanted to know something more about the USA , I really like as a nation, we do not have huge metropolis , if we exclude rome, milan , napoli and turin .
Since we ( in Italy ) there are also small villages like mine, we have twenty regions divided into North, Central and South

NORTH:

Valle d' Aosta (capital : Aosta)
Piedmont (capital : Turin )
Liguria (capital : Genoa )
Lombardy (capital : Milan)
Trentino Alto Adige (capital : Trent )
Veneto (capital : Venice)
Friuli Venezia Giulia (capital : Trieste)
Emilia Romagna (capital : Bologna)

CENTER:

Tuscany (capital : Florence)
Brands (capital : Ancona)
Umbria (capital : Perugia)
Lazio (capital : Rome )
Abruzzo (capital : L'Aquila)

SOUTH:

Molise (capital : Campobasso)
Puglia (capital : Bari)
Basilicata ( caploluogo : Potenza)
Campania (capital : Naples )
Calabria (capital : Catanzaro )

ISLANDS:

Sicily ( you know that in the USA there are many Sicilians, the capital is Palermo)
Sardinia ( the capital is Cagliari)

I wanted to know how are the USA, if someone can write something because I would like to have some information for a possible future vacation, thanks in advance, and

you can tell me which of the regions Italian favorite, my favoritein the USA is California, but I like also Texas and New York.

GOOD BYE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
I speak a little Italian language, and have visited there, 2 times, as a tourist.

USA is very big, large e molto grande, and has many diverse parts. Our nation has mountains, flat agricultural areas, beaches, tropical climates with no snow / senza nieve such as Florida and Hawaii, and mountain areas with very much snow such as Montana, Minnesota, Buffalo, Vermont.

The culture of the people is very different in each region or part of the USA. You can find the most Italian culture and people of Italian heritage in the northeast cities, such as New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, New Haven, Providence, and Chicago (also Toronto and Montreal in Canada). Many of these peoples' ancestors/ genitori arrived, 100 years ago/ 100 anni scorso, in the port of New York City. Some Italians also worked in coal (carbon) mines and factories in Pennsylvania and the Great Lakes/ Grand Lagos region. Manhattan in central New York City is extremely crowded and noisy, and people can only afford the cost to live in small apartments. People from every nation in the world can be found in New York City. New York streets and avenues are aligned very straight, and have numerical names, so it is easy to navigate and find addresses there. The Mennonite and Amish farmers in Pennsylvania and Ohio do not own cars/ autos and do not use electricity or modern machinery. They have a unique and old-fashioned, quaint lifestyle based on farming, gardening, and furniture-making.

The southeastern states have a different culture. Most southeastern people have British ancestry/genitori from the early colonial period/ epoca, or they have African slave ancestry. Much of the southeast is called "the Bible Belt" and the influence of the Baptist or evangelical religion is very strong/ forte. There are very few Roman Catholics (except in Louisiana, Florida, and Texas). The southeastern region (or parts of the region) has become very popular with pensioners (retirees) because the taxes and cost of living are lower, and the climate is warmer / milder. Florida has grown rapidly and developed large cities. The traditional food of the southeastern region is distinct, and is sometimes called "Soul food". Some parts of the south such as Austin, Raleigh, Atlanta, Florida, and places near autostradi, are progressive with a good economy, with high technology jobs and healthy people. But other parts such as Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana are poor and backward, and the people very fat/ overweight and unhealthy. The cost of everything is less there. The south is known for its various styles of music, such as Country music, Bluegrass (southern mountain music, very fast tempo, with banjos and guitars), "Dixieland jazz" in New Orleans, and "Blues" singers from Memphis and Mississippi. The invention of "air conditioning" has made it more comfortable to live in the southeast, where in earlier times/ epochs it was too hot. Many military training bases are located in the southeast states.

The West Coast states are culturally progressive. Fashion trends begin in California. Environmentalism, recycling trash, and bicycle commuting, and organic farming are popular in Oregon. West Coast states are less religious, and more accepting of new age religions, Buddhism, and universalism. California has a very high cost of living, it is expensive to live there. San Francisco is a very beautiful/ molto bella citta, ma molto caro vivere qua. Las Vegas is a very fast-growing city, and a unique and colorful experience. There are many Asian and Pacific nation people in California, Oregon, and Washington. California has many different climates (weather) and topographies - each region of California is different from the other regions.

Some beautiful national parks, and desert regions, are in the West, such as the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, Yosemite, Rocky Mountains Park, Canyonlands, Arches, Grand Tetons, and others. Native American (called "Indians") live here on large reservation areas, in great poverty, and unemployment/ senza lavoro, with many problems. The largest reservation is "Navaho" (Navajo) which is a world unto itself, and the Navaho people speak their own language. It is difficult to travel to these places unless you have a car (auto), or if you go with a guided tour or on the "Green Tortoise" autobus, Read about it here http://www.greentortoise.com

Much of the northeastern region of USA, and the west coast region are Democratic politically. People there are more likely to believe in public transportation, a new national health care program "Obamacare", gun control (limiting gun ownership) and gay-marriage. The Rocky Mountain and central plains states are mostly Republican. The southeastern states are Republican, except for the African-Americans there who are Democratic. Republicans believe in a strong armed forces, military spending, anti-abortions, limited health care, and personal gun ownership.

People from every nation in the world try to come to live in the USA. Many immigrants from Asia, Moslem countries, and Africa work in low-paying jobs such as taxi drivers, and owners of small shops/ stores, although they have college educations (degrees). They come to USA because they feel safer from wars and violence which they had in their original home nations.

The Rail system/ ferroviari nazionale is good only in the northeast coastal region. In other parts of the USA it is very inadequate, poor, and service is slow. There are very few youth-hostels (albergi per giovanni) in USA. This situation is different from Europe which has thousands of youth-hostels.

Last edited by slowlane3; 04-18-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 05:34 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,366,040 times
Take90, Trentino-Alto Adige has two "capitals" because there two autonomous provinces: Trento and Bolzano.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
If you want to come and experience the USA, you can consider applying to work in the tourist industry, especially the "theme parks" or "amusement parks" such as
1. Disneyworld park, Florida
2. Disneyland park, California
3. Six Flags park (they are several USA cities)
4. Busch Gardens park (Florida and Virginia)
or at any of the beach resort cities such as Ocean City, Atlantic City, Virginia Beach, Rehoboth Beach, Myrtle Beach Daytona Beach - which hire many European young people temporarily, in season.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
We travelled around Italy with some Americans of Italian background, none of them could speak Italian save one but not fluently, and they were pretty much like Americans. The differences of course large...my favourite parts of Italy, it's hard to see, but I loved Rome, Pompeii, Amalfi coast, Assisi, Tuscany, Lake Como, Florence, Venice was interesting.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM

60 posts, read 124,949 times
Why in the world would you want to visit Texas LOL?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Take90, Trentino-Alto Adige has two "capitals" because there two autonomous provinces: Trento and Bolzano.
Yes, I now, you are right, thank you

Last edited by take90; 04-19-2014 at 04:11 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 AM

My favourite cities in the USA are Los Angeles, New York (the most famous in Italy) and Dallas, in Canada I would like to visit Toronto and Ottawa, in Italy my favourite cities are Venice, Amalfi coast, Matera and Rome, my father's from village next to Amalfi, and my mother's from city next to Venice.
Could someone tell me about San Francisco, San Diego and New Orleans?

Thank and good bye

Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
Why in the world would you want to visit Texas LOL?
Because I like this state, but I do not know much Texas, I know it is mainly desert and is very large, but there are cities that fascinate me as Houston, Dallas, El Paso and San Antonio, I'd like to visit all of the USA, but it is difficult since they are very large, good bye!

Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Rome, 2.7 million inhabitants, the capital, is the largest city in Italy, Rome is
the oldest city in Italian; there are important monuments such as the Vatican, the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.

Milan, 1.3 million inhabitants, the richest city in Italy, but also the one with the most crime, the most famous monument is the Cathedral of Milan, Milan are the major publishing houses and is the city in Italian fashion, the metropolitan area reaches 7 million people

Naples, 960 000 inhabitants, it's famous for Pompeii and Vesuvio; when you exit you go to Naples and the Amalfi Coast you can see all the villages and the islands of Capri, Ischia and Procida

Turin, 890 000 inhabitants, the city of Turin is important for the automotive industry; is surrounded by the Alps mountains, is famous Mole Antonelliana and Egyptian Museum (the second most important of the 'world after the Cairo)

Palermo, 650 000 inhabitants, the biggest city of the islands

Genoa, 580 000 inhabitants, the biggest port of Italy, there is an important aquarium

Bologna, 380 000 inhabitants, it is famous for parties that stretch for 38 kilometers in the historic center, stands at the center of the plain of Italy's largest

Florence, 370 000 inhabitants, it is a city rich in art, home to major artists such as Dante and Leonardo da Vinci, there are lots of books and art galleries (such as the Uffizi Gallery), one of the most visited Italian cities together in Rome and Venice

Bari, I dont' know much about cheaters and there have never been, but it is important for the fish market, the cultivation of olive trees and trulli (trullo is in a town near Bari, Alberobello), Bari has 310 000 inhabitants

Trulli in Alberobello, next to Bari

Venice, 260 000 inhabitants; famous for the Carnival and gondolas, Venice is different from other Italian cities, you do not walk around by cars, but by boats, there are police boats, taxi boats and even ambulance boats, very few Venetian possidenono a car, for the inhabitants of the city that do not want this life there are Allaa perfieria city of Venice that are part of the city of Venice, where he normally circulates as Mestre and Marghera, but are definitely not a tourist destination, due to the numerous industries and buildings, tourists visit Venice with all its canals, San Marco square and its beautiful lagoon.

Gondols

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-19-2014 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Coypright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or