U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM

4,557 posts, read 4,823,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
There is 1, top 2 days of the Week that live games are airing that some people watch. There is no such thing as popular mobile Apps with up to the minute sports updates and Fantasy Leagues that people are constantly tuned into
I guess you haven't spent much time "overseas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM

579 posts, read 614,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I guess you haven't spent much time "overseas".
England doesn't represent Europe.

I had to jump thru hoops to watch the NBA Finals. Most looked at me like I was talking about some foreign object from space. The group of people we watched with consisted 85% of Americans

Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I had to jump thru hoops to watch the NBA Finals. Most looked at me like I was talking about some foreign object from space. The group of people we watched with consisted 85% of Americans
Well, we have our own sports leagues and events. Just because we rarely watch American sports doesn't mean that we "never watch sports. As in ever."

We have Apps that deliver up to the minute sports updates, we have fantasy sports and we most certainly have live coverage on more than 1 or 2 days. Just think about all the Tier 1 football leagues we have, plus national sports like alpine skiing, rugby, gaelic football, cycling, speed skating, ...

You are basically saying that Europeans don't follow American sport leagues like the NBA, NHL and whatnot (which is true) and that you don't care for our sports.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, we have our own sports leagues and events. Just because we rarely watch American sports doesn't mean that we "never watch sports. As in ever."

We have Apps that deliver up to the minute sports updates, we have fantasy sports and we most certainly have live coverage on more than 1 or 2 days. Just think about all the Tier 1 football leagues we have, plus national sports like alpine skiing, rugby, gaelic football, cycling, speed skating, ...

You are basically saying that Europeans don't follow American sport leagues like the NBA, NHL and whatnot (which is true) and that you don't care for our sports.
Anyone with internet access can have apps and fantasy sports. My point being the percentage of Europeans that engage in this stuff is far lower than Americans. I noticed the difference first hand, people weren't loading up into bars watching sports. Hell, most bars I've been inside did not have televisions. People drinking at the bar watching sports in restaurants - extremely rare. Having the liberty to consume alcohol out doors is a big part of this. You don't have to be inside a room to drink in Europe.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone with internet access can have apps and fantasy sports. My point being the percentage of Europeans that engage in this stuff is far lower than Americans. I noticed the difference first hand, people weren't loading up into bars watching sports. Hell, most bars I've been inside did not have televisions. People drinking at the bar watching sports in restaurants - extremely rare. Having the liberty to consume alcohol out doors is a big part of this. You don't have to be inside a room to drink in Europe.
Bars are packed these days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the Champions League games. The same is true for the game days of the Austrian/German/Premier League or the national football team. Also, I disagree on that bit on drinking outdoors.

Yes, otherwise TV screens in bars are either turned off or there aren't any. Because bars are a place to socialize and not to watch TV.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,024,981 times
Quote:

If you are in England then the NBA finals are some 'foreign object' that might as well be from 'outer space', the English don't do basketball, its different when it comes to sports the English do follow though, they are obsessed with the Premier league above all else (probably too much so) but there are plenty of other sports too, its just that basketball isn't one of them.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,537,399 times
Finland seems to be a bit of an oddity as spectator sports aren't really that huge. For example today was the first ice hockey final match which attracted 6600 spectators and the classic Lahti - HJK football (soccer) match had 4600 viewers. The basketball playoffs starts soon and I'm surprised if the average attendance is over 1500.

Seems that the national teams playing are the only ones that gets people involved. For example the basketball Euro ch'ships brought 2000 fans to Slovenia last year.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland seems to be a bit of an oddity as spectator sports aren't really that huge. For example today was the first ice hockey final match which attracted 6600 spectators and the classic Lahti - HJK football (soccer) match had 4600 viewers. The basketball playoffs starts soon and I'm surprised if the average attendance is over 1500.

Seems that the national teams playing are the only ones that gets people involved. For example the basketball Euro ch'ships brought 2000 fans to Slovenia last year.
To me, this is the norm in Europe. Plain and simple, they just aren't sitting in front of a television as often. Mobile phone packages centered around a limited streaming option (NFL sunday ticket). Except for nations with strong Domestic soccer leagues: Germany, Italy, England & France the rest have lowered weekly viewers. When I attended the opening game of the Bundesliga season, afterwards most people went to an outdoor beer garden to socialize. They didn't hibernate in front of a TV to check on their Fantasy Players or to watch highlights.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:05 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,816,150 times
Quote:
No-way. In Europe you will find a good portion of people that never watch sports. As in ever. Not even a yearly event (Think Super Bowl)

Then you have people that watch soccer. But that's still 1 single sport. In USA, not only is there a sports league occurring every single month of the year (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey) but you even have College versions, hell ESPN airs High School & Womens versions in the USA. Not to mention sports like pro wrestling & MMA.

I grew up an American sports fanatic, and like I said it takes getting use to the difference when I am overseas. There is 1, top 2 days of the Week that live games are airing that some people watch. There is no such thing as popular mobile Apps with up to the minute sports updates and Fantasy Leagues that people are constantly tuned into. Except for Beckham and a few select examples, people in Europe are not connected to the off the field lifestyles of their athletes.

It's no comparison.
ofc there are people that do not watch any sports, but people in europe have a way larger interest in sports. don't even dare to compare hand-egg with the internationally renowned sport football. 1000s of people have died in the name of football all the world over. in europe sport is a life-style, in US its all about the money. and no - its not only about england - its about russia, spain, albania, sweden, brazil and congo.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
ofc there are people that do not watch any sports, but people in europe have a way larger interest in sports. don't even dare to compare hand-egg with the internationally renowned sport football. 1000s of people have died in the name of football all the world over. in europe sport is a life-style, in US its all about the money. and no - its not only about england - its about russia, spain, albania, sweden, brazil and congo.
That has more to do with "soccer" being the only sport available in those areas than their obsession over athletics in general. Cities like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Atlanta etc have 4 Professional teams in 4 different major Sports and that's not considering the college, high school and womens versions. I guarantee Americans watch & read more about sports on a daily basis than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or