U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,032,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This part I have to agree with. it's the number and types of sports that really set the US apart. Take the San Francisco Bay Area for example; Oakland and San Francisco each have a Football team and a Baseball team. The seasons for these two sports overlap in late summer and fall. In addition, Oakland has a Basketball team and it's season is on for that brief period when there is neither Baseball nor Football. Then there is San Jose which has a Soccer team and a Hockey team. Then there are the college teams like Cal (Berkeley) and Stanford. Then there are the minor league teams mentioned earlier and I won't even get into the High Schools as there are an immense number of them throughout the Bay Area.

Cable and Satellite TV packages are frequently sold around their various sports packages (I know because I sell them). Many people subscribe to a service only for the sports packages and nothing else.
Its the same in the UK (and probably Europe), do you realise that cricket, rugby, football all have 'seasons' it isn't just world cups for these sports, do you also realise that there are also professional hockey and basketball leagues in the UK if people want to watch them. I used too wonder why sport wasnt very popular in the US then I realised its because you like 'different sports' which don't really 'compute' here - I suggest you are under the same impression for the same reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,032,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Clicked on American TV today @ Noon (All Live)

Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Soccer
Golf
Spring College Football

and probably other stuff I didn't see
Right now I can watch the following sport channels:
Sky Sports 1
Sky Sports 2
Sky Sports 3
Sky Sports 4
Sky Sports News
Sky Sports F1
Eurosport
Eurosport 2
Extreme Sports
MUTV
ESPN
At the Races
Racing UK
LFCTV
Motors TV
Box Nation
BT Sport 1
BT Sport 2
Premier Sport

and they're not all showing football.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,827,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its the same in the UK (and probably Europe), do you realise that cricket, rugby, football all have 'seasons' it isn't just world cups for these sports, do you also realise that there are also professional hockey and basketball leagues in the UK if people want to watch them. I used too wonder why sport wasnt very popular in the US then I realised its because you like 'different sports' which don't really 'compute' here - I suggest you are under the same impression for the same reason.
I'm still baffled that Americans aren't into the king of sports: alpine skiing and ski jumping. Amateurs...

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 AM

3,358 posts, read 5,188,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This part I have to agree with. it's the number and types of sports that really set the US apart. Take the San Francisco Bay Area for example; Oakland and San Francisco each have a Football team and a Baseball team. The seasons for these two sports overlap in late summer and fall. In addition, Oakland has a Basketball team and it's season is on for that brief period when there is neither Baseball nor Football. Then there is San Jose which has a Soccer team and a Hockey team. Then there are the college teams like Cal (Berkeley) and Stanford. Then there are the minor league teams mentioned earlier and I won't even get into the High Schools as there are an immense number of them throughout the Bay Area.

Cable and Satellite TV packages are frequently sold around their various sports packages (I know because I sell them). Many people subscribe to a service only for the sports packages and nothing else.
Their are 6 professional sports which have regular week on week televised national competitions in Australia's 3 largest cities. Australian Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Soccer, Cricket and Basketball. Perth has 5 (No Rugby League) and Adelaide 4 (No Rugby League or Union).

Right now all of them are playing except cricket, though the basketball and soccer seasons are coming to an end.

Though we have absolutely nothing like the high school/College sports culture of the USA.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM

16,154 posts, read 21,418,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Their are 6 professional sports which have regular week on week televised national competitions in Australia's 3 largest cities. Australian Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Soccer, Cricket and Basketball. Perth has 5 (No Rugby League) and Adelaide 4 (No Rugby League or Union).

Right now all of them are playing except cricket, though the basketball and soccer seasons are coming to an end.

Though we have absolutely nothing like the high school/College sports culture of the USA.
I forgot even mentioned things like Rugby which has leagues here although it is not usually televised unless you have some cable sports package. There is a horse race track in Berkeley as well. People even play Le Crosse which is probably the least popular. I think Cricket is perhaps the only thing we never play in the US. Of course that's as far as I know.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM

301 posts, read 377,994 times
I think Britain is even more obsessed with sport than America.

In Britain sports stars are treated like gods, the media is totally obsessed with them, and its not just one sport, its football, rugby, tennis, golf, cricket, formula one, Olympic sports etc

Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM

In Britain football fans are fanatics. Many fans are in groups of other fans and form hooligan groups. they follow their team wherever they go in the world, and start fights and attack the opposing fans, who are also with their own hooligan groups.

America doesn't have anything as extreme as British sports fans.
Sport is a way of life in Britain, more so than any American could understand

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 04-21-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM

British sports teams are international, they travel all around the world because they are international sports that compete in international tournaments.

British, Australian and European fans travel to follow their teams wherever they go, all over the world, and they spend a lot of money and time supporting their teams.

American sports are only popular in America, this makes them smaller and cheaper to follow, you don't have to be as dedicated.

European fans are more dedicated to their teams and seem to support them in much bigger and more extreme ways than American fans do

Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Go and watch a football game between a German and British team and see how fanatical European sports fans are.

Watch a cricket game between England and Australia and see how loud and dedicated their fans are.

Watch a rugby game between France and England and see how packed out the stadiums and cities are.

Watch a Wimbledon match and see how crazy the support is for European players.

Watch a formula one race and see the crazy support from almost every European nation, the Brits and Germans are the loudest and most supportive and competitive of their teams. A football game between them is electrifying.

The atmosphere in European tournaments is also much bigger, louder and more electric than American sports.

The great thing about European sports is they are played by all European countries.
A game between Britain and France or Germany and the Netherlands, is more crazy and amazing than any game you will see in USA

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,555,989 times
I think you've drunk enough for tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or