U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,658,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post
Here are the 50 most valuable sports teams as of July 2013:

Forbes Ranks The World's Most Valuable Sports Teams - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 270+ Sites

Top 10:

1. Real Madrid, $3.3 billion
  2. Manchester United, $3.165 billion
  3. Barcelona, $2.6 billion
  4. New York Yankees, $2.3 billion
  5. Dallas Cowboys, $2.1 billion
  6. New England Patriots, $1.635 billion
  7. Los Angeles Dodgers, $1.615 billion
  8. Washington Redskins, $1.6 billion
  9. New York Giants, $1.468 billion
  10. Arsenal, $1.326 billion

Most people there are either, American, or British people that want to experience a bit of 'Americana'.
The majority of people couldn't care less about the result, or bother following the league.

European Soccer teams constantly tour America, and play to packed stadiums also.

Do you?

The most popular British teams around the world are, Manchester United and Liverpool F.C.

I've never come across any foreigner that thought Manchester or Liverpool were in London.
OK I get that but that's not a large diversity of cities at all but good point.

Last edited by ipaper; 04-23-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,771,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Bars are packed these days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the Champions League games. The same is true for the game days of the Austrian/German/Premier League or the national football team. Also, I disagree on that bit on drinking outdoors.

Yes, otherwise TV screens in bars are either turned off or there aren't any. Because bars are a place to socialize and not to watch TV.
That does not hold true for Spain.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM

7,176 posts, read 6,032,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I understand your view point my friend, I have lived in many places around the world when I was on active duty navy. When I lived in japan, they have professional league baseball there and from what I could tell, it was much more popular than soccer (football), also korea and many places in latin America. And if the Olympics is any indication of where a given country stands then we are doing pretty good. We are usually in top 3 or 4 in overall medal counts. But its all in good fun. You should pick a sport then pick a city and come watch that game live here in the states.
I don't see what this has to do with the original question? I thought football was the biggest sport in Japan, but again it could just be because baseball is non existent here and therefore I only know about Japanese football, do you see my point? The only American team sports people I know are American footballers - Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley etc, I couldn't name one single Baseball player or Gridiron player, I know the New York team is called New York Red Bulls and the team in LA is LA Galaxy but for the life of me I couldnt tell you what the LA football team or baseball team is called, can you see how that might 'skew' the image of American sports in Britain and or Europe?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,658,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't see what this has to do with the original question? I thought football was the biggest sport in Japan, but again it could just be because baseball is non existent here and therefore I only know about Japanese football, do you see my point? The only American team sports people I know are American footballers - Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley etc, I couldn't name one single Baseball player or Gridiron player, I know the New York team is called New York Red Bulls and the team in LA is LA Galaxy but for the life of me I couldnt tell you what the LA football team or baseball team is called, can you see how that might 'skew' the image of American sports in Britain and or Europe?
We just have a different sports culture and I do follow the American version of football (soccer) and it has come a long ways. The only european player that I use to follow and use to hear so much about was David Beckham. I understand you are compassionate about your sports and I get that by now and so am I. Your point is well taken but sound like I have not convinced you much about anything from this side of the pond.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
$$$$$$$

Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM

7,176 posts, read 6,032,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
We just have a different sports culture and I do follow the American version of football (soccer) and it has come a long ways. The only european player that I use to follow and use to hear so much about was David Beckham. I understand you are compassionate about your sports and I get that by now and so am I. Your point is well taken but sound like I have not convinced you much about anything from this side of the pond.
I think a lot of people the world over are very into sport - the passion in India for cricket is immense and I've heard that Australian are pretty passionate about their code of football too - right I'm back to watching the second half of the Madrid Munich game!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
USA has an unhealthy obsession with sports, same with pop culture & entertainment in general. If you have average Cable, there is a sporting event televised every single day and usually every hour from atleast 4 pm to 10 pm. That is staggering. When I am overseas, it takes a little getting use to that I can't just jump into a sports bar and watch live sports.

I heavily disagree with the academia & athletics relationship in American Colleges. It hurts students and keeps athletes from profecting their trade. Why should they be forced to attend school after 18 if their intention is being an athlete. In general it's just a typical business money grab.

There is a great ongoing thread on this current topic

Does Our Educational System Focus Too Much On Sports?

actually i dont think america ( for its size ) is that good at sport , nor do i think its place in american society is as strong as movies , celebrity etc

australia , now their is a country where sport is absolutely front and centre all of the time , i would place germany very high as well

however , when it comes to educational opportunity , america is unrivalled and this extends to opportunities for those who are athletically talented , baschically , america has the infrastructure and system to support athletes

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,771,783 times
As far as I know, Europeans are every bit as obsessed with sports as Americans, except their sporting events tend to be different - soccer (football) is the main spectator sport in much of Europe as everybody knows.

Americans (and perhaps a few other countries, Canada among them) are unique in their educational structure. Unlike in Europe, where education is controlled on the federal level (for the most part...France is the archetypal country here), in the U.S. the federal government has a relatively weak hand in such localized affairs as education, with each of the 50 states having separate "standards", and individual school districts and teachers in control of the actual curriculum. This, I would think, helps to create a unique identity among different high schools. Let's say French high schools are Carrefours (the French version of Walmart) and Spanish high schools are Eroskis.

Adding to the localism, American high schools also seem to have a much stronger emphasis on extracurricular activities. My small school of about 650 students had football, men's and women's hockey teams, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, swimming, a math league, knowledge bowl, a speech team, and others I am forgetting. All these competing in leagues against different schools.

In addition, many schools are de facto community centers, especially in the suburbs.

I always recommend tourists from other countries to attend a varsity (high school) game to be immersed in real, "authentic local culture".

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,485,329 times
There are lots of athletic clubs in the UK, with most areas having athletics clubs and Harriers Club (Cross Country Running), there are also numerous football academies, and local cricket, rugby and football (soccer) clubs. Schools in the UK also have compulsory physical education as part of the national curriculum and most schools have sporting teams that play in leagues. There are also lots of local golf courses.

In terms why we don't have as much emphasis placed on University Scholarships in sports such as Football (soccer), it's because most talent is spotted very young and nurtured at local academies and players who make it, tend to start their careers in their teens well before University. Most professional football clubs in the UK have academies with youth teams, whilst there are also national teams at Under 15 level and under 19 level.

Whilst 17 and 18 year old's have been included in premiership teams and even full international teams in the past. Indeed every professional football club in the UK is constantly on the look out for new talent, as discovering young talented players can not only be good for the club but can also be very lucrative, Gareth Bales first came to the attention of Southampton Football Club at the age of nine, and was recently sold in September 2013 by Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid for an estimated 77 million ($130 million USD). So as you can imagine their are plenty of sports scouts out there looking out for talented youngsters well before University or sometime even well before Secondary School (High School).

The same is true of many other sports, with people competing at the highest level in their teens, so University Scholarships are not a significant factor in this respect.

Furthermore the shelf life of a football (soccer) player is very short, with most finished by their mid to late 30's, and the same applies to many other sports, so why waste time at college, as professional sports people are paid a lot of money these days and can always go back to study for coaching badges or other qualifications after their careers at the top level of sport are over.

Last edited by Bamford; 04-24-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or