U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 PM

613 posts, read 844,470 times

Advertisements

What you think? I know in some countries Green parties with environmentalist policies are actually taken pretty seriously and get a lot of the vote.

There's definitely a lot of environmental activism in the US, in many circles but overall, I wouldn't say it's completely mainstream. Of course, under the two party system, voting for the Green party is pretty much seen as a wasted vote.

But aside from politics, but also in culture, society, attitudes and ways of living, where else do you find pro-environmentalist sentiment the most strong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
The electorate of Melbourne (inner Melbourne) is held by the Greens, their first seat ever, taking over from 100 years of Labor 'rule', but the Greens don't just run on an environmentalist platform. I'd say only a minority of people here care that much about the environment enough to make changes in their life, like most places.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
In Helsinki, the Greens are the second-largest party and has had many Green deputy mayors. Northern Germany is also a stronghold for the Greens, for instance in Bremen it's the second-largest as well.

The Nordic Countries capitals implement quite a lot of green policies in general regardless of the party affiliation.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,361,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The electorate of Melbourne (inner Melbourne) is held by the Greens, their first seat ever, taking over from 100 years of Labor 'rule', but the Greens don't just run on an environmentalist platform. I'd say only a minority of people here care that much about the environment enough to make changes in their life, like most places.
Yes the Greens are the largest third party in Australia usually polling around 10% of the vote at national elections. I think they're as much a party of social democrats/social progressives who are not satisfied with the Labor Party as they are of environmentalists nowadays. They were in many respects beneficiaries of the collapse of the Australian Democrats due to internal party bickering in the early 2000's.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Yes the Greens are the largest third party in Australia usually polling around 10% of the vote at national elections. I think they're as much a party of social democrats/social progressives who are not satisfied with the Labor Party as they are of environmentalists nowadays.
Indeed. Rudd's swing to the centre probably helped them fill that gap in the late 00s.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 AM

4,557 posts, read 4,815,301 times
The Greens are coalition partners in the federal states of Upper Austria, Tyrol, Salzburg and Vienna. They usually score between 10 and 20% at regional elections and they got 12.4% at the last national elections. The Greens stopped to entirely focus on environmental issues a long time ago, though. They are really left-leaning in Eastern Austria (especially in Vienna, where they govern with the Social Democrats), and rather realistic and center in Western Austria (Salzburg/Upper Austria/Vorarlberg).

Since we are really dependent on Austria's natural beauty (tourism), I guess you could describe us as generally pro-environmentalist.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 AM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times
In Coastal British Columbia it is very mainstream, I`d even go so far as to say it's an ingrained part of the local culture and worldview. It gets reflected in everything from our architecture to our politics to our art to our particular relationship with green spaces. The Greens have one to two seats at the provincial and federal levels, but serious environmentalism is already embraced by most municipal governments (and to a lesser degree by the current provincial government which is our local right wing party, the Liberals). It's no coincidence Greenpeace and the David Suzuki foundation both came from here and that we have such a low carbon footprint.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,368,348 times
Not mainstream at all. The Greens only have one seat in Parliament. Brighton is the only city in the UK where the Greens are the largest party. They got 0.9% of the national vote in the 2010 General Election.

UK cities by % who voted Greens, and party ranking in brackets:

Brighton, 32.7 (largest)
Bristol, 13.7 (fourth)
Sheffield, 10.5 (third)
Manchester, 8.6 (third)
Liverpool, 7.2 (third)
Leeds, 5.4 (fourth)
London, 4.5% (third)
Birmingham, 4.5 (fourth)
Leicester, 4.0% (fifth)
Nottingham, 1.9 (third)

Their voting share has been increasing over the past few years - possibly picking up some of the voters who previously voted Lib Dem. The BNP and UKIP have larger voting shares.

I don't think Leeds is an environmentalist city at all. Our track record for recycling is pretty bad, our roads are full of 4x4s, our buses emit dirty fumes, and we have a new incinerator under construction which will burn all sorts of waste. On calm days, a dirty brown haze sits over the city. The only thing I can think of that we have done over the past 30 years is cleaning up the river, which was just a filthy toxic stream of pollutants, full of dead fishes.

Things are improving, but we still have a way to go. One day, I will be able to walk down the street, without some dirty bus spitting out a big gas cloud of fumes in my face.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-19-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not mainstream at all. The Greens only have one seat in Parliament.
Yes, but you have to remember that the parliamentary system is really different in different countries. In the UK which has a semi two-party system it's difficult to get any strong foothold (ok the Liberals barely managed) regardless of the ideology. In Finland, Sweden and Denmark and such where's like 7-10 parties it's way easier, and in Denmark it's a "red-green" alliance. Germany has the benefit of having the oldest green party in the world.

And as the environmental consciousness has been on the rise, even "normal" mainstream parties have adopted traditional green policies which diminishes the chances of an ecologist party to appear from nowhere in countries that don't have one already.

For example the Greens in Finland have been on the decline and lost the two last elections, but partly because the whole party is a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World