Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times

Advertisements

There are certain places in the world where the chance of someone (a stranger) rubbing you off the wrong way, is higher than in other places. From my experiences:

- Hong Kong & Singapore. High proportion of abrupt, brash, self-centered and materialistic types who will pretend to not see you if you ask for help, directions.

- Venice, Italy. Really rude customer-service people. If they're so sick of tourists, they should move somewhere else!

- Amsterdam, Netherlands. Absolutely blunt people who have no concept of politeness. Totally a place for the thick skin.

-London, England. This is one place where I had confronted people on their smoking in the path of oncoming pedestrians and got a middle finger in return!

- South Florida. The chance of a hostile exchange is very high here, among strangers. This is the one part of the US where you are very likely to see random people get at each other out in public.

- Vancouver, Canada. Very aloof, self-righteous and smug people, yet whom are overly complacent. Don't expect the door to be held for you here.

- Montreal, Canada. More than enough mocking dirty looks when French was not spoken!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
In my experience, Sydney.

When I was 14 I was physically shoved out of the way by someone on the escalator yelling 'get out of the way!'

When a German friend of mine asked a man in a car for directions the man barked, 'f**k off!'

A couple of other things. The Cronulla riots for one, could not imagine them happening here.

Just the vibe of the city. It seems quite a few others have agreed Sydney has that tension, materialistic, sense of divide, unfriendliness. I know it's unfair to base it on a few incidents, but think Sydney is less friendly than Melbourne or the other big Australian cities.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
This is getting ridiculous. The thread title should be "Least Friendly Cities" which has been done a thousand times already. Your title implies that you want cities where first impressions are not ideal from strangers.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
If they're cute enough, they can rub me any way they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.