U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,794,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yup, and the number who are returning is increasing. Some people expect Australia to be like the UK, but sunny. It's actually pretty irresponsible of people to pick up their entire lives, possibly uprooting children, taking them thousands of miles away, only to be disappointed with what they discover, and returning within a few years, or even months.

Still, as people have mentioned, the sunny, warm climate of Australia is the biggest appeal, and most people emigrating there will probably be employed in some high-demand sector that pays more than over here, so that's another incentive - for example, energy and mining - I'm sure many people choose to base themselves in Perth.

Canada is very cold in the winter compared to the UK, with only Vancouver being similar.
It is a gamble but it can pay off otherwise no one would leave their countries. Lots of people immigrate here and stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM

225 posts, read 324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockapplan View Post
Climate is a reason. Australia's economy better than Britain for a couple of decades already.
But NZ is not as good as Australia on climate and economy.
I think this is interesting: we obviously know that brits go to Australia due to their nice weather and stronger economy and to Canada cause their economy and proximity to the US, but what about NZ? What are their reasons? NZ doesn't have the GDP of UK or OZ and even with that it has a lot of british-born people.
I did some college in Auckland (Massey University) and my homestay-family was a retired british couple. Good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yes, Miami is obviously known for it's high Latino population.

Toronto is also a lot further from Asia than Australia...I wonder if your immigration policies are more open than ours.
A little of Off-Topic: Miami has a lot of brits too! It's pretty common hear english accent in South Beach. My neighbors are a british couple and they love Miami

Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM

20,670 posts, read 25,762,744 times
Quote:
I think that refers also to the look of the place too.
And also the climate. Victoria is mild and somewhat rainy in winter and therefore green and lush, and coolish in the summer (by Canadian standards anyway).

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Considering say Toronto's climate it's amazing it's still so popular, but I guess it compensates in other areas...I wonder if people who immigrate to Canada tend to be cold lovers vs those who come here? lol

I know I could never thrive in Toronto with it's winters. NYC is harsh enough for our standards.
Most of the immigrants to Canada come from places with significantly warmer climates than ours: India, China (depending on the region), Philippines, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, etc.

There does not appear to be any major self-selection going on with respect to climate.

I would say that generally for a majority of people climate is not a key determining factor when it comes to choosing a place to emigrate to.

Immigrants from warmer climes don't complain about the climate any more or less than native-born Canadians - trust me on that.

Canada does lose landed immigrants who move on to other countries (very predominantly the US) but when they do move they seem to be as likely to go to colder parts of the US like Boston, Chicago, NYC, Washington as they are to the warmer states.

I've only extremely rarely heard people cite climate as a reason for moving away from Canada, at least if we are talking about people in their working age years. Almost no one seems to do that. Of course, people (snowbirds) do go away for the winter in their retirement years and come back home for the summer.

So go figure.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Just thinking that warm weather year-round seems to be a bigger preoccupation for first-worlders who already live in those types of climates.

People in colder climates will ***** about the winter fairly regularly of course, but it's rarely to the point of moving away, at least not for the vast majority of them. (Even the migration of Brits to Oz is a small trickle when you consider the overall population of the UK.)

Of course it could be that all of us who are freezing half the year just don't know what we're missing!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,404,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most of the immigrants to Canada come from places with significantly warmer climates than ours: India, China (depending on the region), Philippines, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, etc.

There does not appear to be any major self-selection going on with respect to climate.

I would say that generally for a majority of people climate is not a key determining factor when it comes to choosing a place to emigrate to.

Immigrants from warmer climes don't complain about the climate any more or less than native-born Canadians - trust me on that.

Canada does lose landed immigrants who move on to other countries (very predominantly the US) but when they do move they seem to be as likely to go to colder parts of the US like Boston, Chicago, NYC, Washington as they are to the warmer states.

I've only extremely rarely heard people cite climate as a reason for moving away from Canada, at least if we are talking about people in their working age years. Almost no one seems to do that. Of course, people (snowbirds) do go away for the winter in their retirement years and come back home for the summer.

So go figure.
I guess also they dress for the warmth, and all your homes are well-heated. Canadians here have complained about the cold too. Funny my friend from Toronto who's lived here for 3 years said climate was the primary reason for moving to Australia. He's more of a heat-lover, and is less cold-tolerant than I am.

Still, memories of the biting wind on my face during Beijing in December is still etched on my memory...

People here complain about the cold...and it rarely even gets below freezing here.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,507,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yup, and the number who are returning is increasing. Some people expect Australia to be like the UK, but sunny. It's actually pretty irresponsible of people to pick up their entire lives, possibly uprooting children, taking them thousands of miles away, only to be disappointed with what they discover, and returning within a few years, or even months.

Still, as people have mentioned, the sunny, warm climate of Australia is the biggest appeal, and most people emigrating there will probably be employed in some high-demand sector that pays more than over here - for example, energy and mining - I'm sure many people choose to base themselves in Perth (can't think of why else Perth would be preferred - doesn't seem as nice as Sydney or Melbourne, but I obviously cannot speak from experience).

Canada is very cold in the winter compared to the UK, with only Vancouver being similar. Would a Brit, who has lived his/her entire life in a cloudy country with chilly, damp winters, choose Calgary - sunnier, but considerably colder and volatile, or Perth - warm and sunny?
Actually Sydney has slightly more British born people than Perth, yet obviously Perth has a bigger percentage of British people compared to the total of Perth population than Sydney total population. Yet of course the reason why Perth received so many immigrants was when the ships full of immigrants came to Australia, the first Australian port they landed on was Perth. Yet with the introduction of air travel I don't understand the appeal of why Perth continued to be a very popular destination for British immigrants, as Sydney and Melbourne are more appealing to so much of the younger generation as Perth is quite sleepy and there are more activities happening in Sydney and Melbourne.

You are right that so many British immigrants go back to their own country. Many also never intended to live here for good when they decided to move here but only intended to live here a few years. Yet of course many others wanted to live here for good but changed their minds when living here.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

3,358 posts, read 5,199,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Actually Sydney has slightly more British born people than Perth, yet obviously Perth has a bigger percentage of British people compared to the total of Perth population than Sydney total population. Yet of course the reason why Perth received so many immigrants was when the ships full of immigrants came to Australia, the first Australian port they landed on was Perth. Yet with the introduction of air travel I don't understand the appeal of why Perth continued to be a very popular destination for British immigrants, as Sydney and Melbourne are more appealing to so much of the younger generation as Perth is quite sleepy and there are more activities happening in Sydney and Melbourne.

You are right that so many British immigrants go back to their own country. Many also never intended to live here for good when they decided to move here but only intended to live here a few years. Yet of course many others wanted to live here for good but changed their minds when living here.
Per the Census
197,665 UK Born in Perth
181,892 UK Born in Sydney.

Over a 10 year period 2001-2011 the number of residents born in the UK and living in Sydney actually fell.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-23-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Well most British who come here aren't really looking for lively nightlife. They want the sunny skies, the big house, the open space...everything they couldn't have in the UK. Plus WA has tons of high-paying jobs. Many are here to start a family etc. Then you have the young work holiday people who stay a year or so.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Per the Census
197,665 UK Born in Perth
181,892 UK Born in Sydney.

Over a 10 year period 2001-2011 the number of residents born in the UK and living in Sydney actually fell.
That's right, as the stats show Perth has more in real numbers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or