Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Didn't say anything about displacement, more just political integration with the Republic of Ireland. Though those who refuse to integrate can go back to Britain.
If a majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to be part of the Republic of Ireland then I see it a good reason, yet a majority of people support the current status. They were born there and their parents and grandparents were born in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is their home and not Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:13 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
But ROI isn't either.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
I think most people will be happy with stability and peace. If the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to remain part of the UK that's what will happen. In the past the Catholic population in NI didn't have equality but that has changed so the situation is different than what was the case in the past.

There is no great desire in the Republic of Ireland for a United Ireland. I think most people have a realistic view of the situation and are happy to abide by the democratic process. It's not like there is separation anyway because people travel back and forth all the time. There is also some All Ireland bodies and a lot of the sports teams like Rugby, golf and GAA are across the whole island. The former Irish President Mary McAleese was Northern Irish and also the Republic has had a few Protestant Presidents like Mary Robinson and Douglas Hyde. People should all just get along.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Its not demographic process.

And it was never that we didn't get along it was more that we are a seperate country and have no reason to go down there. I DO NOT go back and forth! Sorry

Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Its not demographic process.

And it was never that we didn't get along it was more that we are a seperate country and have no reason to go down there. I DO NOT go back and forth! Sorry
It is only separated because part of Ireland became independent and the 6 countries of Ulster which were majority Protestant decided to stay with the UK. Ireland is an island and is only separate now because part is controlled by the UK. Northern Ireland is now a province of the UK before it was a province of Ireland. Even Ulster is divided between the Republic of Ireland and the UK.

It is not always about you. There are loads of people that do go back and forth! Sorry.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Many people from the UK and Ireland see Australia and New Zealand a lot safer to live compared to the USA.
Oh don't make me laugh. The overwhelming majority of the "USA" is very safe. The only reason that they would pick Australia is because of it's British "connections" and the fact that it's easier for them to become Australian citizens than American citizens.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh don't make me laugh. The overwhelming majority of the "USA" is very safe. The only reason that they would pick Australia is because of it's British "connections" and the fact that it's easier for them to become Australian citizens than American citizens.
Just out of interest - personally if I had to emigrate from the UK to another Anglo country I would chose Canada (though the Winter weather would put me off a bit) followed by New Zealand, what about other UK nationals? Where would you choose (Anglo Nations) if you had to go? (if you could chose any of course)

Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Just out of interest - personally if I had to emigrate from the UK to another Anglo country I would chose Canada (though the Winter weather would put me off a bit) followed by New Zealand, what about other UK nationals? Where would you choose (Anglo Nations) if you had to go? (if you could chose any of course)

Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
America but since its impossible I would say Canada.

Aussie is too far away and its climate is drastically different. No matter what anyone says the landscape of Canada and the climate is far closer than Australia.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
America but since its impossible I would say Canada.

Aussie is too far away and its climate is drastically different. No matter what anyone says the landscape of Canada and the climate is far closer than Australia.
When it comes to geography and landscape, I find there is something very similar to the UK and the Canadian Maritime Provinces like Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI and New Brunswick... Being from Ireland.. I think you would be most at home in these places!!

This is the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Nova Scotia

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cabot...w=1518&bih=687
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World