Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,977,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Dunedin is similar to London if the stats on Wiki are to be believed.

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dunedin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course London is one of the warmer parts of the UK.

Though I am yet to figure out why Europeans (and Americans) like cold climates, I just spent the last winter in Seoul which has far colder winters than London and would describe it as hell on earth, particularly if you are carrying an infant around with you. London's winters are more bearable.
Well wiki is not at times 100% accurate. Dunedin is a little warmer in winter, but a littler cooler in Summer compared to London.
Here is a link which compares Dunedin to London and a few other cities in weather:Comparison of New Zealand with UK Climate and Weather

When I was in Dunedin during the summer I was astonished on how cold it was. It felt like winter in my city Sydney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,859,046 times
Quote:

Though I am yet to figure out why Europeans (and Americans) like cold climates, I just spent the last winter in Seoul which has far colder winters than London and would describe it as hell on earth, particularly if you are carrying an infant around with you. London's winters are more bearable.
But London doesn't have the average British climate.

And still we are colder and closer to the pole so we see more snow and ice anyway.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well wiki is not at times 100% accurate. Dunedin is a little warmer in winter, but a littler cooler in Summer compared to London.
Here is a link which compares Dunedin to London and a few other cities in weather:Comparison of New Zealand with UK Climate and Weather

When I was in Dunedin during the summer I was astonished on how cold it was. It felt like winter in my city Sydney.
Well if you think 20c is cold you'd have a nervous breakdown here at 12c.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,002,844 times
Quote:

I've often wondered this? I've heard people say they dislike the British climate because its Winters are too warm! I don't get it!! Give me a winter temperature of 20 degrees any day over the 10 degrees of London let alone anywhere that is sub-zero!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,558,810 times
Dunedin is quite a bit colder in the summer than London, and quite a bit colder than my own city of Leeds, but conversely a little milder in the winter.

I prefer colder winters because I like snow, and cold does not bother me. Plus, cold winter climates like Seoul are way sunnier than anywhere in the UK, so for some, the extra sun is worth the colder weather. In the UK, winters are very cloudy, but also rather damp, and often breezy - not very nice, and they kind of offset the mild temperatures. I mean, if it's a choice between 8C with cloud and drizzle, or -5C with sunshine and snow on the ground, I am going to pick the latter - no question.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:26 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,002,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Dunedin is quite a bit colder in the summer than London, and quite a bit colder than my own city of Leeds, but conversely a little milder in the winter.

I prefer colder winters because I like snow, and cold does not bother me. Plus, cold winter climates like Seoul are way sunnier than anywhere in the UK, so for some, the extra sun is worth the colder weather. In the UK, winters are very cloudy, but also rather damp, and often breezy - not very nice, and they kind of offset the mild temperatures. I mean, if it's a choice between 8C with cloud and drizzle, or -5C with sunshine and snow on the ground, I am going to pick the latter - no question.
Fair enough dunno, horses for courses but as somebody who cycles to work Summer and Winter I would rather live somewhere where I could let go of my handlebars once I got to work 😀

Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,977,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well if you think 20c is cold you'd have a nervous breakdown here at 12c.
It got to 9c in Dunedin in Summer and I could not believe it.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Big whoop lol

Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 PM

326 posts, read 470,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Generally, people in countries that are industrialized stop emigrating in large numbers (eg. Irish and Italian immigration to the New World has slowed since Ireland and Italy are now rich), so rich countries generally stop getting immigration from other rich countries but instead get immigration from poorer countries. Many New World countries, from Canada to Argentina once received very large numbers of European or British Isles immigrants but very few in modern times.

But for Australia and New Zealand, it seems immigration from the UK still seems high up into very recent times.

Why is that? It seems like in the US and Canada, most immigration is from poorer countries (Mexico, China, India) and few from developed ones any more (like Italy, Ireland, the UK, even Japan). Why does Australia and New Zealand still attract immigrants from a rich, western country?
Australia has:
Stronger Economy
Better Weather
Better Wages
Less Americanised. (ie Australia's national sport is Cricket, like the UK. They love binge drinking, like the UK. They drive on the left, like the UK.)

Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,412,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Big whoop lol

And you think 12C is cold? Big whoop.

I might put on a light sweater. lol

Try -24C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World