Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 04:41 PM

849 posts, read 1,056,670 times

Advertisements

For Mexico, the most influential/thought country would be the U.S. We dress like them, eat what they eat, we watch their movies, their series, listen to their music and play their sports (baseball is huge in Mexico). Whatever the U.S. President has to say, makes headlines in our media. Cities like Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos and Cancun owe a lot to the Americans. We may have a weird relationship, but something cannot be denied; the enormous influence that America has over Mexico, and viceversa. 5 de Mayo anyone?

In second place I'd put China. Ever since the first Nao de China began its voyages to and from the Philippines, China has been a beacon of influence in Mexican culture. More so now that China it's booming and for once my country is shifting eyes from Europe and our northern neighbor to the Far East.

Countries that we've thought frequently in no particular order:
Japan; high tech, robots, manga, cars.
Germany; Prussian virtues, perfection, Octoberfest, Bavarian alps...
Spain; Madre Patria, music, flamenco dance, gallego jokes...
France; French language, romance, Paris, haute couture, wines, Paris, cheeses, scargot and Paris...
Italy; the Pope, wines, beautiful sexy men...
Russia; beautiful women, vodka, ruthless people, the U.S. Well needed nemesis...
Canada; cold weather, friendly gringos...

Countries that we thought about sometimes:
Brazil; soccer, samba and carnival...
Colombia; coffee, cumbia music, and cocaine...
Argentina; tango, wines, meat and Buenos Aires...
Peru; Machu Picchu and...
Chile; Latam's rising star and an example to follow...

My 3 pesos...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,950,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I know but it seems of the nations people talk about, and who produce pop culture, Japan is still way up there...I mean tell me, what recent great pop cultural exports have come out of say France or Germany in recent years? What is their answer to anime, sushi? French and German food is unfortunately rare here, believe it or not...in Melbourne CBD there is German restaurant I know of. There must be at least 100 sushi/Japanese restaurants. So it's food too. I think there should be more European food here myself.
Well sushi/Japanese restaurants are very common in Australia of course. But Thai restaurants are more common than Japanese restaurants. Yet German style bakeries such as Luneburger are not unusual to see around in the city.

Last edited by other99; 04-26-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
LOL whatever...

clearly trying to be anti-British. Its pretty obvious that Japan has no influence on America. I mean lets be honest here when we do we see any Japanese things widespread in America.
Sony, Nintendo, Toyota and Honda

Old 04-26-2014, 07:11 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,460,714 times
I actually agree with Mac15. Japan has little cultural impact on the UK. Sure, we use Japanese technology, but that isn't cultural. At most, I would say Japanese food is gearing towards mainstream - there has been a boom in sushi joints in recent years - but Japanese music, TV shows, retailers - they're unknown to the masses, and Japanese food is still not as popular as French or Italian cuisine, which are so widely consumed that they're hardly foreign at all anymore. Every city, town and village has at least one Italian or French restaurant.

Japan is undeniably one of the world's most well-known countries though.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM

135 posts, read 149,271 times
Quote:
But that doesn't mean that Japan have an influence in the USA. That are japanese companies that producs goods suitable for the US market. Almost all japanese cars sold in the US doesn't exist in Japan.

When I use a japanese video console, what influence has that on my daily life? Nothing.

Most monitors sold in Germany are probably from a korean company, and are produced in China. But that really have completely no influence on our daily life. Allmost all people don't care where such consumer goods are made or from which company they are.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,950,135 times
Mac15 it looks like you did not do any research in regards to Japanese cars in the US.

Before the 1950s, manufacturers from the US were the unrivalled leaders in their home car market. GM (General Motors), Ford and Chrysler, who were 'The Big Three', had a lot of success.

By 1965 Europe and Japan had entered the car industry with a small share of the US car market.

From 1965 Japan’s car sales in the US increased significantly and by 1985 had taken a one fifth share of the market.

From 1985 to 2005 Japan's share of the US car market has grown to 43%, at the expense of the US motor manufacturers, who have suffered a 23% share loss.

Changes in the Car Industry

Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM

27,273 posts, read 28,339,813 times
There is probably more Japanese cultural influence in the western United States than in other parts of this country.

Some of my facebook friends in the Seattle area talk about all kinds of Japanese (and other Asian) stuff that seem unheard of here on the east coast of the U.S.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,790,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
But um.. They are game consoles not Japanese things..

Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
But that doesn't mean that Japan have an influence in the USA. That are japanese companies that producs goods suitable for the US market. Almost all japanese cars sold in the US doesn't exist in Japan.

When I use a japanese video console, what influence has that on my daily life? Nothing.

Most monitors sold in Germany are probably from a korean company, and are produced in China. But that really have completely no influence on our daily life. Allmost all people don't care where such consumer goods are made or from which company they are.
Exactly on my Iphone it says "designed in California, made in China" big bloody whoop lol. It doesn't mean i'm gonna start speaking Chinese. It really doesn't affect me at all..

Infact everything is made in China these days.. So who really cares. It has no impact at all..
I don't think America is anything like Japan or China.. At least not Florida and Minnesota and South/North Dakota or Georgia

Old 04-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is probably more Japanese cultural influence in the western United States than in other parts of this country.

Some of my facebook friends in the Seattle area talk about all kinds of Japanese (and other Asian) stuff that seem unheard of here on the east coast of the U.S.
Yea I thought maybe California but then really they are closer to Asia than Europe so..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World