Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't think Canada features that much for most Americans considering it's their bigger neighbour to the north.
Perceptually that is probably true. I think the country is just taken for granted as sort of like the quiet little brother in close quarters. Having said that, the reality is far different in that many States trade more with other Canadian Provinces than other American States and that a lot of jobs in the U.S are directly linked to cross border trade and obviously vice versa. U.S dependence on various forms of Canadian energy cannot be underestimated and its far from just being oil. Aside from trade both countries do more direct investment in the other than any other singular country.

Its the same with our military, there is this perception in the U.S that Canada doesn't have one and that we don't have military expenditures yet we are ranked 14th in the world just above Turkey and just below your country and both Australia and Turkey are considered regional powers. Again, it is simply a case of Canada sleeping with the giant!

Mexico on the other hand (while important as a trading partner to the U.S, is not to the same degree as Canada), is in a more agreeable climate so it is going to benefit more from tourism than Canada (though we do get ALOT of U.S tourists).. I think Toronto is ranked the 4th or 5th most visited city in the world for Americans After Cancun, London and Paris. Another reason we are kind of just dismissed is really kind of a good thing in that there aren't millions of Canadian crossing the border illegally into the U.S

Add to that the similarities in culture and its just that family member taken for granted. To be honest, I think Canadians overstate their knowledge or understanding of the U.S as well and in many cases we take them for granted so It really is a two way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 AM

132 posts, read 150,122 times
Quote:
But not too many people outside of japan know about cherry blossom and other types of matsuri, even visitors to japan I must say. The one in Germany looks a bit like comic conventions. Though I have been to the Japanese festival in LA and Vancouver and they are pretty great Though from the look of it there were a lot of people of Japanese ancestry attending those festivals as well.
The visitors of the festival looks like comics. haha

The festival itselfs, the performances of all the japanese groups look very traditinal japanese to me.

Here are performances of very young japanese actors, really cute:

Japantag 2013 in Düsseldorf - YouTube

This year I have to visit the festival.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
But that doesn't mean that Japan have an influence in the USA. That are japanese companies that producs goods suitable for the US market. Almost all japanese cars sold in the US doesn't exist in Japan.
There's still a lot of overlap. Also sometimes a different name. Top selling cars in Japan, last year:

2013 (Q3) Japan: Best-Selling Car Brands and Models

#1 best selling car, Toyota Aqua, is sold as the Toyota Prius C
#2 is the familiar Toyota Prius (the wagon Prius V is counted as a Prius in Japan)
#3 is the Nissan Note, called the Nissan Note Versa here
#4 is the Honda Fit, found here
#5 is the Nissan Serena, a small minivan not sold here. Perhaps Nissan assumes Americans looking for a minivan-ish car would go for something larger or a small SUV
#6 is the Toyota Vitz, sold as the Yaris hatchback here
#7 is the Toyota Crown also known as the Camry, one of the best selling cars in America
#8 is the Toyota Corolla also one of the best selling cars in the US
#9 is another small minivan not sold here
#10 another small minivan again not sold here

Seems like excluding large cars and non-SUVs, a lot of the cars are in common. Some other popular sedans sold here are North American only (Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima). The Honda Civic was discontinued, and the Japanese Honda Accord is sold as the Acura TSX here.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 AM

354 posts, read 682,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
The visitors of the festival looks like comics. haha

The festival itselfs, the performances of all the japanese groups look very traditinal japanese to me.

Here are performances of very young japanese actors, really cute:

Japantag 2013 in Düsseldorf - YouTube

This year I have to visit the festival.
That looks very cool Got to drive down and visit the festival sometime!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's pop culture lol. Real Japanese festivals would be like the Cherry Blossom Festival. Despite what Westerners think, not everybody cosplays in Japan.
I don't think any westerners think anything as we don't really think about Japan..

Old 04-27-2014, 04:46 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
"Japanese" restaurants are quite widespread here. They mostly serve sushi/sashimi/maki/yakitori/gyoza and most are operated by Chinese immigrants though. They're the most common restaurants around where I live, they outnumber French restaurants, kebab restaurants, Chinese and Italian restaurants and fast food joints.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/33868688-post84.html

The yearly Japan expo attracts a bit more than 200,000 people:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Expo

Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
My 2 cents...

USA
China
UK (not that influental as a country in that very 2014 but let's take into account it's empire, influence to the pop music and culture, English language and other things)
Russia
Japan
France
Germany
Italy
India
Spain

Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
"Japanese" restaurants are quite widespread here. They mostly serve sushi/sashimi/maki/yakitori/gyoza and most are operated by Chinese immigrants though. They're the most common restaurants around where I live, they outnumber French restaurants, kebab restaurants, Chinese and Italian restaurants and fast food joints.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/33868688-post84.html"]http://www.city-data.com/forum/33868688-post84.html[/URL]

The yearly Japan expo attracts a bit more than 200,000 people:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Expo]Japan Expo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

When I have tried sushi made by Chinese restauranteurs here in CA, it usually doesn't taste very good. Is it good over there?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Loosely ordered:

America
Japan
Mexico
China
Russia
France
Britain
Brazil
India
Israel

I notice many put down Spain. This may totally reflect on my region, but around here nobody thinks about Spain very much. Most countries in South America are brought up as often or more. It is interesting to see Spain still carries influence elsewhere.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How many people died in Dutch colonies compared to British/Spanish/Portuguese/French?
Just saying the Dutch were a lot less violent and more helpful to locals than the other European powers.
This is a joke, right? The Dutch were very violent, give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World