Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Consider where people live - for the average person on planet earth TODAY, which nations do you think loom largest in their consciousness? Not talking so much past influence or legacies, although that will play a role, but how well they are known, how well their culture is known, their influence.etc. I would say:

1. United States (politics, globalisation/name brands, fast food, pop culture including films, TV, music, also really well marketed/portrayed)

2. Japan (many things well known culturally like the food, samurai/ninja/geisha, anime/manga/Japanese films, Japanese products and technology, pretty well known in Asia, tourists, lots of Japanese things from Zen Buddhism to karate international)

2 (tie). United Kingdom (second largest English speaking nation, pop music, TV and some films, literature, well known country, strong identity, premier league soccer, cricket, tourists, Commonwealth connection)

3. China (Sheer size of population, manufacturing base - seems to make almost everything, meteoric rise and growing economy, politics, often talked about in the media, large overseas diaspora, Chinese food and many aspects of Chinese culture part of mainstream culture)

4. France (High culture though less revered than it used to be, including food, still a distinctive and well known nation with a strong identity, most visited nation)

5. Spain (Hispanic colonial legacy, well known tourist destination, soccer)

6. Italy (Roman heritage, tourism, Italian immigrants, food, technology, soccer)

7. Germany (Technology, biggest economy in the EU)

8. South Korea (The Korean wave, K-pop, dramas, movies, fashion, Korean food, more Korean students etc)

9. Russia (Largest nation on earth, Most populous 'European' nation, still influential in Central Asia and Eastern Europe, political clout)

10. Australia (Distinctiveness as the only country that is also a continent, Sydney was recently ranked one of the most recognised names in the world, ecological uniqueness)

10 (tie). India (You might be wondering why it's so low on the list, but I guess for a lot of people it doesn't seem prestigious and visitor numbers are low considering it's vast population, but it's still influential. Indian diaspora, Indian food, pop culture concept of 'karma.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
The most famous nation in this part of the world is the US. All our movies, television and music is full of American products. After the US the only country coming close would the the UK for the same reasons. Other countries are only mentioned sporadically. This is from an Australian perspective. I know most of Australia's trade is with Asian countries but the US and UK are the countries that all our cultural cues are from. Even on 6PR (the local radio station) they have a US Correspondent (an Australian) and a UK Correspondent (an Irishman).

Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The most famous nation in this part of the world is the US. All our movies, television and music is full of American products. After the US the only country coming close would the the UK for the same reasons. Other countries are only mentioned sporadically. This is from an Australian perspective. I know most of Australia's trade is with Asian countries but the US and UK are the countries that all our cultural cues are from. Even on 6PR (the local radio station) they have a US Correspondent (an Australian) and a UK Correspondent (an Irishman).
I would say Japan certain ranks up there now. You see sushi and Japanese restaurants everywhere, we have Japanese department stores, we have more stuff made in Japan, so many Japanese cultural exports are mainstream. Japanese is now the most taught second language in school, and prior to China Japan was our largest trading partner. Of course the UK is overall more important/relevant, but as a pop cultural force/entity, Japan is extremely influential worldwide.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
Judging from the sheer amount of topics about Italy on this forum (especially Europe section obviously) I'd say Italy, despite being a country 30 times smaller than US, is quite considered outside of its borders.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:24 AM

Yes actually I should really switch Italy and Spain around, definitely...

Old 04-26-2014, 04:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
I think there is no way one could generalize on this topic. Personally, I don't think that Australia and South Korea cross the mind of the average Austrian all too often. Switzerland and the Czech Republic are probably more famous and important to us. Quite naturally, considering that those countries are our neighbors.

Another example: Just think of the average Bolivian or Pacific Islander. France, Italy and Germany are probably not on his radar.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

Another example: Just think of the average Bolivian or Pacific Islander. France, Italy and Germany are probably not on his radar.
If they are football fans maybe...

Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes actually I should really switch Italy and Spain around, definitely...
I think that Mexico might be more on the radar than Spain for most people around the world. Except for maybe football where Spain ranks higher, Mexican cuisine, music and culture in general rank higher than Spain globally I would say. It's also the most populated Spanish-speaking country, and even the presence of Mexican-Americans in US culture augments Mexico's profile.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
I agree with Acajack, and Brazil needs to be on that list. It is well known for alot of things, its beautiful women, beaches, soccer, capoeira, music and movies, and the amazon river and rainforest.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Before the late 1800's my country was a top 5 lock for 300 years, now it's not even in the top 15 anymore ,
the Brits, French and Spanish took everything from us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World