U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite City In Those Available Options?
Saigon Vietnam 4 16.00%
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 6 24.00%
Buenos Aires Argentina 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,726,033 times

Advertisements

What is your personal reflection of those cities and what you know about them in a magnificent, unparalleled unique collection of cities to talk about together?

Saigon Vietnam is probably most mysterious, obscure, and unknown to foreigners compared to those other available city options, and Buenos Aires is probably most easy to get to know, and least mysterious city out of those options.

Saigon seems quite a rustic, and unpredictable very foreign, exotic Southeast Asian city. There is Asian royal temples simultaneously alongside some remnants of French colonialism Architecture in some districts neighborhoods. Motorcycles are ubiquitously used there maybe more than any other any major city in the world based on photos. There is even an extraordinary and unprecedented Independent Cafe Bar Scene wonderful ambiance cafes that have free laptop computer wireless internet in a Vietnamese city of Saigon that rivals cafe bars in cities such as Paris, Vienna, Prague, Buenos Aires, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City.

There is a culturally wealthy blend of Spanish Latin and Italian demographics in Buenos Aires. Sometimes known as “Paris of South America” because of some architecture in some neighborhoods, ambiance of some cafes, nightclubs, stores, and urban vibrancy pedestrian friendliness walkability. Argentina is very different compared to Central American countries, and almost any South American country that are usually much more poor, another version of Spanish speaking culture, and minimal Italian demographics. In Argentina, a Hispanic term doesn't exist compared to any other Spanish speaking country in Americas because a majority of Argentines feel Hispanic is not a race. Buenos Aires might feel like another planet compared to those Southeast Asian cities.

Petronas Twin Towers are world class skyscrapers in Kuala Lumpur and some of my favorite modern high-rise buildings ever anywhere. Kuala Lumpur is a unique Asian city, and a blend of Malay, Chinese, and Indian ethnic demographics. Kuala Lumpur seems like a very religious and spiritual minded city, and close to equal representation of Buddhists, Muslims, and a noticeable amount of Hindus, Christians, and Daoism with less than 1% of total city population saying they have no religion. Architecture is multidimensional with historic and modern.

How Would You Rank These Cities Based On:

Culture
How Urban They Are
People Scene
Quality of Life
Entertainment Options
Neighborhoods
Your Overall Summary, Reflection, and Ranks Based on Individual Preference in Those Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM

406 posts, read 419,940 times
put som pictures up so we can compare

Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM

9,783 posts, read 12,452,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
What is your personal reflection of those cities and what you know about them in a magnificent, unparalleled unique collection of cities to talk about together?

Saigon Vietnam is probably most mysterious, obscure, and unknown to foreigners compared to those other available city options, and Buenos Aires is probably most easy to get to know, and least mysterious city out of those options.

Saigon seems quite a rustic, and unpredictable very foreign, exotic Southeast Asian city. There is Asian royal temples simultaneously alongside some remnants of French colonialism Architecture in some districts neighborhoods. Motorcycles are ubiquitously used there maybe more than any other any major city in the world based on photos. There is even an extraordinary and unprecedented Independent Cafe Bar Scene wonderful ambiance cafes that have free laptop computer wireless internet in a Vietnamese city of Saigon that rivals cafe bars in cities such as Paris, Vienna, Prague, Buenos Aires, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City.

There is a culturally wealthy blend of Spanish Latin and Italian demographics in Buenos Aires. Sometimes known as ďParis of South AmericaĒ because of some architecture in some neighborhoods, ambiance of some cafes, nightclubs, stores, and urban vibrancy pedestrian friendliness walkability. Argentina is very different compared to Central American countries, and almost any South American country that are usually much more poor, another version of Spanish speaking culture, and minimal Italian demographics. In Argentina, a Hispanic term doesn't exist compared to any other Spanish speaking country in Americas because a majority of Argentines feel Hispanic is not a race. Buenos Aires might feel like another planet compared to those Southeast Asian cities.

Petronas Twin Towers are world class skyscrapers in Kuala Lumpur and some of my favorite modern high-rise buildings ever anywhere. Kuala Lumpur is a unique Asian city, and a blend of Malay, Chinese, and Indian ethnic demographics. Kuala Lumpur seems like a very religious and spiritual minded city, and close to equal representation of Buddhists, Muslims, and a noticeable amount of Hindus, Christians, and Daoism with less than 1% of total city population saying they have no religion. Architecture is multidimensional with historic and modern.

How Would You Rank These Cities Based On:

Culture
How Urban They Are
People Scene
Quality of Life
Entertainment Options
Neighborhoods
Your Overall Summary, Reflection, and Ranks Based on Individual Preference in Those Cities
I can only speak for KL and Saigon. KL is an okay city, great food and shopping, and a few nice areas, but it's not really one of my favourites either. It's not a really old city, so there isn't a ton of history, a few nice British colonial buildings, some done in a sort of Malay-Arabic style.

Saigon...well it's kind of interesting to see the hustle and bustle of urban Vietnamese life, the chaotic motorbike traffic, the heaving rhythm of commerce, it's still very Asian/traditional in some ways, yet in some ways I found it sort of sterile too. It has some French colonial buildings. I don't know much about the 'cafe scene' there, but there is some of that from French influence.

How urban? It's hard to compare, since they're laid out different. While not that planned, KL is still more planned than Saigon. KL is closer to modernised developed cities, with modern highways/freeways, lots of tall office buildings, and lots of towering condos, with a few areas with terrace houses and bungalows. There is a lot more VARIATION throughout, I would say. There are huge mega-malls like 1 Utama and Mid-Valley, some of the biggest in the world. Saigon, like many cities in developing nations, is more the same sort of repetitive pattern over and over again: tons of these 3-storey townhouse type things, often with shops below, that don't look particularly old. But activity is vibrant throughout. It's a different type of urbanity.

KL is more ethnically diverse, with Malay, Chinese, Indian Malaysians and more foreigners, which is more interesting, while Saigon is overwhelmingly Vietnamese. There's Chinatown, Little India.etc, it's interesting to see the different cultures.

Well Malaysia is wealthier and the HDI is higher than Vietnam, so KL would certainly offer a more comfortable life in general. It's still relatively cheap, obviously not as cheap as Vietnam. KL's public transit isn't as good as Singapore's, though, so sometimes a car is a necessity.

Hmmm, neither is known as a big entertainment hub, but there are bars, clubs.etc in both. I'm not an expert in this area, but the one time I do remember hitting the nightlife in KL I remember it being pretty fun, with cheap drinks.

Neighbourhoods, I'm not that familiar with the specific neighbourhoods in each, in Saigon 'District 1' is where most of the action is, in KL things seem a bit more spread out.

Buenos Aires seems too different to be that comparable. I would imagine in say nightlife it would quite easily blow these two out of the water.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 AM

3,177 posts, read 1,757,389 times
Quote:
There is a culturally wealthy blend of Spanish Latin and Italian demographics in Buenos Aires. Sometimes known as ďParis of South AmericaĒ because of some architecture in some neighborhoods, ambiance of some cafes, nightclubs, stores, and urban vibrancy pedestrian friendliness walkability. Argentina is very different compared to Central American countries, and almost any South American country that are usually much more poor, another version of Spanish speaking culture, and minimal Italian demographics. In Argentina, a Hispanic term doesn't exist compared to any other Spanish speaking country in Americas because a majority of Argentines feel Hispanic is not a race. Buenos Aires might feel like another planet compared to those Southeast Asian cities.
The Hispanic term doesn't exist in any other Latin American country either.
No Latin Americans think Hispanic is a race. What would make your think Argentina is unique in that aspect? That term is mostly used in the US.

Their culture is definitely unique and Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, but Argentines aren't that different to other Latin Americans IMO. They still have major problems with nepotism, corruption, poverty and insecurity. They share the same frustrations all Latin Americans share.

Interestingly, they have one of the highest rates of corruption in Latin America.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I can only speak for KL and Saigon. KL is an okay city, great food and shopping, and a few nice areas, but it's not really one of my favourites either. It's not a really old city, so there isn't a ton of history, a few nice British colonial buildings, some done in a sort of Malay-Arabic style.

Saigon...well it's kind of interesting to see the hustle and bustle of urban Vietnamese life, the chaotic motorbike traffic, the heaving rhythm of commerce, it's still very Asian/traditional in some ways, yet in some ways I found it sort of sterile too. It has some French colonial buildings. I don't know much about the 'cafe scene' there, but there is some of that from French influence.

How urban? It's hard to compare, since they're laid out different. While not that planned, KL is still more planned than Saigon. KL is closer to modernised developed cities, with modern highways/freeways, lots of tall office buildings, and lots of towering condos, with a few areas with terrace houses and bungalows. There is a lot more VARIATION throughout, I would say. There are huge mega-malls like 1 Utama and Mid-Valley, some of the biggest in the world. Saigon, like many cities in developing nations, is more the same sort of repetitive pattern over and over again: tons of these 3-storey townhouse type things, often with shops below, that don't look particularly old. But activity is vibrant throughout. It's a different type of urbanity.

KL is more ethnically diverse, with Malay, Chinese, Indian Malaysians and more foreigners, which is more interesting, while Saigon is overwhelmingly Vietnamese. There's Chinatown, Little India.etc, it's interesting to see the different cultures.

Well Malaysia is wealthier and the HDI is higher than Vietnam, so KL would certainly offer a more comfortable life in general. It's still relatively cheap, obviously not as cheap as Vietnam. KL's public transit isn't as good as Singapore's, though, so sometimes a car is a necessity.

Hmmm, neither is known as a big entertainment hub, but there are bars, clubs.etc in both. I'm not an expert in this area, but the one time I do remember hitting the nightlife in KL I remember it being pretty fun, with cheap drinks.

Neighbourhoods, I'm not that familiar with the specific neighbourhoods in each, in Saigon 'District 1' is where most of the action is, in KL things seem a bit more spread out.

Buenos Aires seems too different to be that comparable. I would imagine in say nightlife it would quite easily blow these two out of the water.

What city is more foreign, and exotic to people outside of those countries, Saigon or Kuala Lumpur? What city you prefer overall based on visiting or living there? Have I described an accurate summary about all of those cities in an earlier post? I feel they are underrated Asian cities destinations to foreigners.

How much remnants of noticeable French colonialism architecture is there in Saigon? Urban scenery seems very unpredictable there, and a very multidimensional type of urbanity throughout Saigon based on photos, and a very fun, unique, and interesting city in Southeast Asia.

Independent cafe bar scene is a hidden treasure over there, and probably not known to a vast majority of people outside of Saigon, including cafes with equally extravagant ambience compared to my favorite cafes in NYC, and unlimited wireless internet to laptop computers, something really technologically innovative nobody expects in Vietnam: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City Ė Vietnam Some highlights in photo links there: Cosmo Cafe (very futuristic looking reminds me of Aroma in Upper West Side in NYC lol), ID Cafe, La Fenetre Soleil (very French name lol), Coffe Viva (looks very 1970s retro), and up to 10 more magnificent cafes. MY 15 FAVORITE CAFES IN SAIGON (HO CHI MINH CITY) | The Hungry Suitcase

Are your family members in Malaysia living in Palau Penang region of Malaysia, and none in Kuala Lumpur? You have experienced Malaysia more than a tourist, and almost as a local.

Buenos Aires might feel like another planet compared to those cities. Lol However, nightlife is probably not really that much better there compared to Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur or maybe even less in some characteristics of nightlife. Why is there some biased discrimination about Asian nightlife compared to Spanish Latin nightlife?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

What city is more foreign, and exotic to people outside of those countries, Saigon or Kuala Lumpur? What city you prefer overall based on visiting or living there? Have I described an accurate summary about all of those cities in an earlier post? I feel they are underrated Asian cities destinations to foreigners.

How much remnants of noticeable French colonialism architecture is there in Saigon? Urban scenery seems very unpredictable there, and a very multidimensional type of urbanity throughout Saigon based on photos, and a very fun, unique, and interesting city in Southeast Asia.

Independent cafe bar scene is a hidden treasure over there, and probably not known to a vast majority of people outside of Saigon, including cafes with equally extravagant ambience compared to my favorite cafes in NYC, and unlimited wireless internet to laptop computers, something really technologically innovative nobody expects in Vietnam: The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam Some highlights in photo links there: Cosmo Cafe (very futuristic looking reminds me of Aroma in Upper West Side in NYC lol), ID Cafe, La Fenetre Soleil (very French name lol), Coffe Viva (looks very 1970s retro), and up to 10 more magnificent cafes. MY 15 FAVORITE CAFES IN SAIGON (HO CHI MINH CITY) | The Hungry Suitcase

Are your family members in Malaysia living in Palau Penang region of Malaysia, and none in Kuala Lumpur? You have experienced Malaysia more than a tourist, and almost as a local.

Buenos Aires might feel like another planet compared to those cities. Lol However, nightlife is probably not really that much better there compared to Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur or maybe even less in some characteristics of nightlife. Why is there some biased discrimination about Asian nightlife compared to Spanish Latin nightlife?
Saigon is definitely more 'foreign' and 'exotic', but I feel you can really experience Asia in KL too. Malaysia's tourism motto is 'truly Asia' which is fitting (and not just an advertising line) as it combines the main cultural spheres of Asia, Malayo-Austronesian, Chinese and Indian, with good representations of other SE, South and East Asian nationalities, as well as that British/western element. Saigon is still very Vietnamese. The chaos, being less modernised, language barrier contribute to this.

I think overall I'd still prefer KL. Saigon is not a city I have any real desire to return to, other than maybe to visit a friend I have there. Once was enough. After 5 days - actually 3, since 2 days were from day trips, I found myself getting a bit bored there. There aren't a ton of tourist attractions, and I don't know, the stress of the traffic, the TOUTS, and the tropical heat get to you after awhile. It's a very new, commercial city, with little history, little of the charm of Hanoi or Hue. KL at least has lots of FOOD if one gets bored, even if KL is not the most interesting city in Malaysia. I prefer Penang in Malaysia the same way I prefer Hue or Hoi An in Vietnam. I like Vietnamese food but not as much as Malaysian and it's easier to find a variety in Malaysia rather than just one cuisine.

Well I wouldn't describe Saigon as 'rustic' and the temples there really aren't special. Just a few normal Chinese-style temples (the Vietnamese style is pretty much very similar to the Chinese style), nothing too huge or spectacular, Hue or Hanoi has a lot more of that sort of thing. Architecture-wise I find the traditional architecture of Bangkok more interesting. The French architecture is definitely interesting, like Notre Damme or the Opera House, and the most fancy Post Office I've ever seen. Cafes? Yeah, I didn't go to any fancy ones, they're not something that excites me too much, I associate Vietnam with Vietnamese drip-style coffee.

Malaysia and KL just has more cultural diversity, I feel. I feel Vietnam sometimes feels a bit too much like China, while having it's own language, food.etc, I couldn't detect much culture that wasn't greatly influenced or imported from China. Japan has it's Shinto, Zen, geishas, onsens to name a few, but I don't know what unique Vietnamese things there are really.

My family members in Malaysia consists of my uncle, auntie and cousin in KL and grandfather in Ipoh. They are all originally from Penang but i have no close family members there. My dad has old family friends in KL, Ipoh, Penang.etc. Yes, more as a local, staying at people's houses, going where the locals go, so a different perspective from tourists, though we did do some tourist things. There's still a lot of Malaysia I haven't seen.

Well, I'm just going by what I've heard, about how vibrant the nightlife there is...I mean, KL isn't BAD compared to a lot of places, there are still clubs, bars.etc, but I just hear BA is on a whole other level. Saigon, hmmm, aside from a few expat bars I feel it can be awkward when few people speak English...I went to some nightclub in Hue and just felt out of place, didn't really interact with anyone. I would prefer the nightlife in Singapore, largely because it's more familiar (half the time in VN you're liable to get ripped off). Bangkok too, although there's a lot of scams and sleaze of course. Singapore and Hong Kong, as well as Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo, offer more the kind of nightlife you'd find in developed countries, whereas Bangkok and KL is in between that and the likes of Vang Vieng, PP.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Saigon is definitely more 'foreign' and 'exotic', but I feel you can really experience Asia in KL too. Malaysia's tourism motto is 'truly Asia' which is fitting (and not just an advertising line) as it combines the main cultural spheres of Asia, Malayo-Austronesian, Chinese and Indian, with good representations of other SE, South and East Asian nationalities, as well as that British/western element. Saigon is still very Vietnamese. The chaos, being less modernised, language barrier contribute to this.

I think overall I'd still prefer KL. Saigon is not a city I have any real desire to return to, other than maybe to visit a friend I have there. Once was enough. After 5 days - actually 3, since 2 days were from day trips, I found myself getting a bit bored there. There aren't a ton of tourist attractions, and I don't know, the stress of the traffic, the TOUTS, and the tropical heat get to you after awhile. It's a very new, commercial city, with little history, little of the charm of Hanoi or Hue. KL at least has lots of FOOD if one gets bored, even if KL is not the most interesting city in Malaysia. I prefer Penang in Malaysia the same way I prefer Hue or Hoi An in Vietnam. I like Vietnamese food but not as much as Malaysian and it's easier to find a variety in Malaysia rather than just one cuisine.

Well I wouldn't describe Saigon as 'rustic' and the temples there really aren't special. Just a few normal Chinese-style temples (the Vietnamese style is pretty much very similar to the Chinese style), nothing too huge or spectacular, Hue or Hanoi has a lot more of that sort of thing. Architecture-wise I find the traditional architecture of Bangkok more interesting. The French architecture is definitely interesting, like Notre Damme or the Opera House, and the most fancy Post Office I've ever seen. Cafes? Yeah, I didn't go to any fancy ones, they're not something that excites me too much, I associate Vietnam with Vietnamese drip-style coffee.

Malaysia and KL just has more cultural diversity, I feel. I feel Vietnam sometimes feels a bit too much like China, while having it's own language, food.etc, I couldn't detect much culture that wasn't greatly influenced or imported from China. Japan has it's Shinto, Zen, geishas, onsens to name a few, but I don't know what unique Vietnamese things there are really.

My family members in Malaysia consists of my uncle, auntie and cousin in KL and grandfather in Ipoh. They are all originally from Penang but i have no close family members there. My dad has old family friends in KL, Ipoh, Penang.etc. Yes, more as a local, staying at people's houses, going where the locals go, so a different perspective from tourists, though we did do some tourist things. There's still a lot of Malaysia I haven't seen.

Well, I'm just going by what I've heard, about how vibrant the nightlife there is...I mean, KL isn't BAD compared to a lot of places, there are still clubs, bars.etc, but I just hear BA is on a whole other level. Saigon, hmmm, aside from a few expat bars I feel it can be awkward when few people speak English...I went to some nightclub in Hue and just felt out of place, didn't really interact with anyone. I would prefer the nightlife in Singapore, largely because it's more familiar (half the time in VN you're liable to get ripped off). Bangkok too, although there's a lot of scams and sleaze of course. Singapore and Hong Kong, as well as Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo, offer more the kind of nightlife you'd find in developed countries, whereas Bangkok and KL is in between that and the likes of Vang Vieng, PP.
Well, Saigon Vietnam, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and Buenos Aires Argentina are all worthwhile far away tourism destination cities, and inviting foreign, fun cities to live in.

Saigon Vietnamís overall urban landscape seems very unpredictable based on photos, and quickly alternating environment, maybe even more than Kuala Lumpur, and Buenos Aires. Well, all of these cities are very foreign, and exotic to North America, yet Saigon Vietnam is definitely much more to Americans, not Australians. Lol

Maybe Buenos Aires Argentina is more foreign, exotic, and mysterious to Australians, especially you. I didnít expect you to vote next to Buenos Aires Argentina. What other reasons you selected Buenos Aires other than more foreign, exotic to you, and nightlife entertainment options?

Kuala Lumpur does seem more diverse in ethnic demographics compared to Saigon. Maybe you didnít go to the right areas of Saigon, a city of more than 7 million people, including some of those really modern, yet authentic, and rustic independent cafe bars, some neighborhoods, and some more entertainment options.

I wonder how much those cafes is turning my vote to Saigon Vietnamís favor, and advantage, including some remnants of French colonialism architecture. They remind me of some of my favorite cafes in New York City, and Seattle, yet in Southeast Asia Vietnam. Lol

Well, I feel Vietnam is a very unique country, and separate characteristics from China. What areas of Malaysia have you not visited yet? What percentage of Malaysians speaks Malay language, and not too much English? I really feel Malay is an underrated language, and a nice Asian language.

I bet there is something overrated about nightlife in Buenos Aires, even if nightlife is intense, vibrant, and phenomenal there, including a Spanish Latin, and Italian cultural element there. Nightlife, and relevant entertainment is maybe underrated in Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur, and maybe I prefer Asian nightlife.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM

There's less planning in Saigon, like many Asian cities it grew up without much direction. It's controlled more by the forces of capitalism (ironic in a Communist country). Even the state planning regimes (such as the rather unimaginative 'District 1, 2, 3, 4.etc) didn't seem to do that much, although the wide boulevards, staid grey architecture and frescos of Uncle Ho and the Soviet hammer and sickle invade one's senses. It's a city of broad avenues, a sort of clinical feel reminiscent of China, versus the old world charm of Hanoi. I would certainly not live in Saigon, though. The traffic, stress, monoculture...plus Vietnamese culture isn't that interesting to me. I live with Vietnamese people now, btw.

Dunno about that. it's foreign in that we aren't that familiar with Latin culture, but I'm sure we'd find some aspects of it familiar, if we're familiar with Europe etc. Saigon is still exotic to Aussies, but we're pretty familiar with some aspects of Asian culture. Footscray, Melbourne, where I lived is basically a real Vietnamese enclave so someone living there might find it strangely familiar.

Other reasons? The architecture seems more grand than KL or Saigon. It's bigger, more European but with the Latin flair. I have no experience of South America so it'd be new to me.

Of course...maybe, I mostly went around District 1, went to the main tourist sights, sights related to the war, Cholon. I wasn't that interested in cafes or whatever, more trying authentic Vietnamese food. Well as for entertainment options, Vietnam isn't as open to tourists as Malaysia or Thailand.

Hmmm, the French architecture is pretty restricted...the cafes, hmmm, you can find those sort of things anywhere. Just speaking personally, I didn't fall in love with Saigon, I found it sort of boring. The urban landscape wasn't as interesting as other cities in VN.

What aspects seem different to you, aside from food and language? Even pho was derived from China. Tet is the Lunar New Year, same as Chinese New Year. Vietnamese has some similarities to Southern Chinese culture. The old kingdom of 'Baiyue' in Fujian is actually the origin of the name 'Vietnam', believe it or not.

A lot. Like the East coast, Cameron highlands.etc. Well most have to learn in school, and Malay has been the medium of instruction in schools since the 70s (in my dad's day it was English). I'd say most younger people can, although many might prefer to speak English, Chinese languages, Indian languages, at home and with friends. I agree, it's not too hard to learn, and isn't too offensive to the ears.

So you've been? Why is it overrated?

Maybe, maybe nightlife in Bangkok is overrated if you take away the sleaze, but nah it's still a fun place, for sure.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
There's less planning in Saigon, like many Asian cities it grew up without much direction. It's controlled more by the forces of capitalism (ironic in a Communist country). Even the state planning regimes (such as the rather unimaginative 'District 1, 2, 3, 4.etc) didn't seem to do that much, although the wide boulevards, staid grey architecture and frescos of Uncle Ho and the Soviet hammer and sickle invade one's senses. It's a city of broad avenues, a sort of clinical feel reminiscent of China, versus the old world charm of Hanoi. I would certainly not live in Saigon, though. The traffic, stress, monoculture...plus Vietnamese culture isn't that interesting to me. I live with Vietnamese people now, btw.

Dunno about that. it's foreign in that we aren't that familiar with Latin culture, but I'm sure we'd find some aspects of it familiar, if we're familiar with Europe etc. Saigon is still exotic to Aussies, but we're pretty familiar with some aspects of Asian culture. Footscray, Melbourne, where I lived is basically a real Vietnamese enclave so someone living there might find it strangely familiar.

Other reasons? The architecture seems more grand than KL or Saigon. It's bigger, more European but with the Latin flair. I have no experience of South America so it'd be new to me.

Of course...maybe, I mostly went around District 1, went to the main tourist sights, sights related to the war, Cholon. I wasn't that interested in cafes or whatever, more trying authentic Vietnamese food. Well as for entertainment options, Vietnam isn't as open to tourists as Malaysia or Thailand.

Hmmm, the French architecture is pretty restricted...the cafes, hmmm, you can find those sort of things anywhere. Just speaking personally, I didn't fall in love with Saigon, I found it sort of boring. The urban landscape wasn't as interesting as other cities in VN.

What aspects seem different to you, aside from food and language? Even pho was derived from China. Tet is the Lunar New Year, same as Chinese New Year. Vietnamese has some similarities to Southern Chinese culture. The old kingdom of 'Baiyue' in Fujian is actually the origin of the name 'Vietnam', believe it or not.

A lot. Like the East coast, Cameron highlands.etc. Well most have to learn in school, and Malay has been the medium of instruction in schools since the 70s (in my dad's day it was English). I'd say most younger people can, although many might prefer to speak English, Chinese languages, Indian languages, at home and with friends. I agree, it's not too hard to learn, and isn't too offensive to the ears.

Maybe, maybe nightlife in Bangkok is overrated if you take away the sleaze, but nah it's still a fun place, for sure.
There is definitely more spontaneous, not predictable architecture, and urban planning in Saigon Vietnam compared to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, and Buenos Aires Argentina, especially in photos. Well, there is a lot of colorful architecture in Saigon not resembling anything Communist. What country is more communist Mainland China or Vietnam? They somehow have an apparent ironic paradox contradiction to express a blend of Communism, and Capitalism. I didn’t know you lived with Vietnamese people in a house in Melbourne. Lol

I can’t believe you don’t find Vietnam really interesting, even after visiting there, and living around Vietnamese people in Australia. Vietnam is one of the most compelling, and entertaining foreign countries to me. Vietnam is more getting more international tourists, and more open to tourism. Based on your personal experience, and reflection is Vietnam a blend of Thailand, and China somewhere in between in cultural elements?

I expect in such a massive city, there is at least some quiet less chaotic areas in Saigon, and especially in some technical suburbs not too far away. There is much more to Saigon than District 1, quite a fascinating, and magnificent city to visit in Southeast Asia.

There is plenty of noticeable differences between China as a whole, and Vietnam. Cultural Image to Foreigners, Country’s role in the World, geographic size of a country, more Buddhism less atheism in Vietnam, no semi-arid desert areas or 4 seasons not tropical climates& scenery found in China, not too many megalopolis cities compared to China, subtle remnants of French colonialism in Vietnam never happening in China, very different languages in writing system
"văn bảnthŰng tin liÍn lạccủangŰn ngữ vs. 寫作語言的溝通", Southeast Asia vs. East Asia, and people scene, including people I met from those countries never seeming exactly the same between Chinese people vs. Vietnamese people in ethnic heritage.

How many times have you visited Malaysia, 10 to 17 times? I know you have visited Kuala Lumpur, Palau Penang, Ipoh, Malacca, and Borneo island of Malaysia/Indonesia. Have you checked out those spiritual, mystical temples in the middle of nature inside limestone caves around Ipoh? People say Borneo island of Malaysia/Indonesia is an Environmental equivalent to Brazil’s Amazon forest.

Eastern areas of Malaysia is especially more conservative, and more traditional so you probably don’t want to visit Terengganu area of Malaysia..

I feel those Petronas Twin skyscrapers takes up a dominant amount of attention about Kuala Lumpur, and there is definitely much more destinations in KL. Well, Malaysia preserving a native language of Malay is important over there, and not too much English. Malay does seem like a very nice, and pleasant Asian language, an underrated language. How is Kuala Lumpur compared to Taipei, or Bangkok?

Buenos Aires is like another planet compared to Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur in some ways. Lol Ironically, Saigon is technically known as Paris of Asia, and Buenos Aires Paris of South America, although a superficial exaggeration. Well, there is grand architecture in Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur, just much more in Buenos Aires based on some photos. I wonder if people in Buenos Aires seem a lot more Italian than Spanish speaking nations in South America, and Central America.

There is technically an established theme pattern in my original topic. They are all magical cities to me, very phenomenal, and interesting, especially foreign, exotic, and unknown to average Americans.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
There is definitely more spontaneous, not predictable architecture, and urban planning in Saigon Vietnam compared to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, and Buenos Aires Argentina, especially in photos. Well, there is a lot of colorful architecture in Saigon not resembling anything Communist. What country is more communist Mainland China or Vietnam? They somehow have an apparent ironic paradox contradiction to express a blend of Communism, and Capitalism. I didnít know you lived with Vietnamese people in a house in Melbourne. Lol

I canít believe you donít find Vietnam really interesting, even after visiting there, and living around Vietnamese people in Australia. Vietnam is one of the most compelling, and entertaining foreign countries to me. Vietnam is more getting more international tourists, and more open to tourism. Based on your personal experience, and reflection is Vietnam a blend of Thailand, and China somewhere in between in cultural elements?

I expect in such a massive city, there is at least some quiet less chaotic areas in Saigon, and especially in some technical suburbs not too far away. There is much more to Saigon than District 1, quite a fascinating, and magnificent city to visit in Southeast Asia.

There is plenty of noticeable differences between China as a whole, and Vietnam. Cultural Image to Foreigners, Countryís role in the World, geographic size of a country, more Buddhism less atheism in Vietnam, no semi-arid desert areas or 4 seasons not tropical climates& scenery found in China, not too many megalopolis cities compared to China, subtle remnants of French colonialism in Vietnam never happening in China, very different languages in writing system
"văn bảnthŰng tin liÍn lạccủangŰn ngữ vs. 寫作語言的溝通", Southeast Asia vs. East Asia, and people scene, including people I met from those countries never seeming exactly the same between Chinese people vs. Vietnamese people in ethnic heritage.

How many times have you visited Malaysia, 10 to 17 times? I know you have visited Kuala Lumpur, Palau Penang, Ipoh, Malacca, and Borneo island of Malaysia/Indonesia. Have you checked out those spiritual, mystical temples in the middle of nature inside limestone caves around Ipoh? People say Borneo island of Malaysia/Indonesia is an Environmental equivalent to Brazilís Amazon forest.

Eastern areas of Malaysia is especially more conservative, and more traditional so you probably donít want to visit Terengganu area of Malaysia..

I feel those Petronas Twin skyscrapers takes up a dominant amount of attention about Kuala Lumpur, and there is definitely much more destinations in KL. Well, Malaysia preserving a native language of Malay is important over there, and not too much English. Malay does seem like a very nice, and pleasant Asian language, an underrated language. How is Kuala Lumpur compared to Taipei, or Bangkok?

Buenos Aires is like another planet compared to Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur in some ways. Lol Ironically, Saigon is technically known as Paris of Asia, and Buenos Aires Paris of South America, although a superficial exaggeration. Well, there is grand architecture in Saigon, and Kuala Lumpur, just much more in Buenos Aires based on some photos. I wonder if people in Buenos Aires seem a lot more Italian than Spanish speaking nations in South America, and Central America.

There is technically an established theme pattern in my original topic. They are all magical cities to me, very phenomenal, and interesting, especially foreign, exotic, and unknown to average Americans.

Predictable? I would see Saigon's urban form is pretty monotonous and predictable, the same type of 3-4 storey shophouses in various colours seem to dominate much of the city. I can't say which is more communist, in many ways neither is very communist anymore, but more authoritarian free market. I suppose China opened up a lot earlier than Vietnam so has more years as part of the global economy.

I meant more Saigon, not Vietnam. I do find Vietnam quite interesting, but not so much Saigon. I prefer central and northern Vietnam, with Sapa and Hoi An being the highlights. A blend between Thailand and China? Nah, Vietnam isn't really like Thailand at all. The architecture has it's own quirks, but it's obviously more of the Chinese style, like the temples, because of Mahayana Buddhism vs Theravada Buddhism in Thailand. While Vietnam in some ways feels a smaller tropical China with lots of scooters, Thailand is more reminiscent of Malaysia in feel. Thailand has a more typically South-East Asian feel than Vietnam.

Well it certainly is impressive in terms of the traffic and busyness, but it's not a city I have a great desire to return to.

I'm talking more about the culture than the physical landscape. The Vietnamese language borrowed up to 60% of vocabulary from China, used to use Chinese characters, and was ruled by China for over 1000 years. The main religions are Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism (if you could call it a religion) or a blend of the three, but like China a lot of people are really just non-religious. I'm sure there are some differences, but the similarities seem a lot more striking.

Yeah about 10 times now, including brief stopovers. No I haven't. Actually I'd like to visit the east coast, more Malay culture and beautiful beaches. A great place to see turtle hatchlings too.

Yes, I think it was a reaction to the increase in English, but also part of the rise of Malay nationalism. Yes, aesthetically it's quite a nice language, nicer than other Southeast Asian languages to me. Well obviously very different to those cities, each is interesting and worth visiting in it's own way.

Yeah architecturally KL and Saigon aren't very impressive cities. In Asia, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Hangzhou, Xian, Tokyo, Bangkok are some cities which boast really impressive or interesting architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World