Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is it better for low income people to live?
Western/Northern Europe 21 48.84%
Canada 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 AM

132 posts, read 150,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For Canadian tourists Nikes are expensive in Germany, as are clothes. One reason is the exchange rate. I can buy Nikes in Vancouver on sale for as little as $49.99. Of course they also have the Nikes that cost $250.00 but most people wait for a good sale.
Most american branded clothing is definitely more expensive in Germany than in Canada or the US. You can easily compare footlocker.de with footlocker.ca. But don't forget the sales tax in Canada (13% in Ontario?). I could imagine that most canadians often compare their net prices with the european prices, which already include the sales tax. Are all goods in Canada tagged with the net prices? When I compare the tagged fast food prices in Ottawa with the prices in Düsseldorf, than they looks very similiar, but when I consider the 13% sales tax, than the fast food in Düsseldorf is definitely cheaper (except for McDonalds or BurgerKing). I am not sure why branded clothing is more expensive in Germany or other european countries. Perhaps Europeans are willing to pay more for branded apparel. I don't know about canadians, but I think the average american place less value on fashion than the average european. So the clothing companies simply demand higher prices in Europe because the customers will pay them.

Quote:
Same with clothing, I wait for sales. Normal Levi Jeans can be bought for $74.00 here, but they often go on sale of $39.00. More expensive designer jeans for $200.00 I don't' buy.
Germans also wait for sales or order online. If a pair of Nike shoes cost at footlocker 139 Euro, I look at different web sites and order by the cheapest retailer which offer this pair of shoes for a special price. I think the prices for most more expensive designer clothing is very similiar in Canada and Europe. For example prices for Lacoste shoes at Footlocker are very similiar in Canada and Germany.

Quote:
Perhaps there are more discount stores in Germany now?
Germany is well known for discount stores, but they normally don't sell branded clothing at such stores. The KIK discount chain for example operates about 2,600 stores in Germany and about 600 stores in other european countries. Of course you can buy jeans or hoodies for less than 10 Euro, or even for 5 Euro when on sale. I just saw that you even can buy Nike sneakers for 40 Euro there, but most people don't like this style. You can buy no brandes sneakers for less than 10 Euro. There is Primark, an irish discount chain, very cheap and extremely popular because the clothing seems to be much more fashionable than at KIK for example. There are a lot of other cheap clothing chains in Germany and other european countries.

Quote:
I understand also that in Germany stores are only allowed two sales a year. Is that still true?
No, and it was never completely true. It was always possible for stores to sell a limited selection of pieces of clothing at lower prices than normal. But it was forbidden until 2004 to offer the whole range for general lower prices. Something like 30% on the whole range was not allowed. That was only allowed two times a year. "Sommerschlussverkauf" and "Winterschlussverkauf". These sales were intended to clear the warehouses on the end of the season to get space for the new collection. In 2004 the law was reformed and since than it is possible to sell always on sale. Now there is always something on sale or there are offerings like get 3 pair of shoes and pay only 2. Seasonal sales with 20 - 50% off exist sill today and are still called "Sommer- oder Winterschlussverkauf", because the people are used to it.

The restriction was intended to protect small businesses. Bigger companies should not able to drive smaller businesses out of the market by selling below the purchase price on a longer period. This law is partially still in use. For example grocery stores aren't allowed to sell normal grocery items below the purchase price for longer than one week. When they get 1 kg of flour for 0.35 Euro, they can sell it for 0.35 Euro, they can even sell it for a lower price but than only for a limited period. A cutthroat competition is still not allowed in Germany.

If you don't need special branded clothing it is really no problem to get very affordable clothing in Germany and I think in all other european countries, too. I think the price gap for apparel between North America and Europe is mostly limited to american brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 AM

334 posts, read 438,558 times
^^^ Keep in mind that many Canadians cross border shopping few times a year in the US since vast majority of Canadians live within 90 min of the border.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It is the same over here regarding sales. A lot of people wait until there are sales before they buy something. I bought my last jacket for half of half, so 75% lower than the original price. And there are plenty of sales over here if you pay attention.

Concerning cars, I have my doubts if they are really 50% cheaper than over here in Europe like the statistic says. I looked at Canadian car prices once(a long time ago) and although the pre-tax prices are indeed very low, there seemed to be very high sales, luxury or other taxes and fees on cars making them just as expensive as over here in Europe. (That doesn't change the fact that car prices are outrageous over here in Europe. It seems to me only companies and wealthy individuals can still afford new cars in Europe). The good thing is, a car is not a necessity over here.
Cars are more of a necessity in most parts of Canada, but not everywhere. Many people live without cars in the big city centres such as Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver where transit is quite good.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
Most american branded clothing is definitely more expensive in Germany than in Canada or the US. You can easily compare footlocker.de with footlocker.ca. But don't forget the sales tax in Canada (13% in Ontario?). I could imagine that most canadians often compare their net prices with the european prices, which already include the sales tax. Are all goods in Canada tagged with the net prices? When I compare the tagged fast food prices in Ottawa with the prices in Düsseldorf, than they looks very similiar, but when I consider the 13% sales tax, than the fast food in Düsseldorf is definitely cheaper (except for McDonalds or BurgerKing). I am not sure why branded clothing is more expensive in Germany or other european countries. Perhaps Europeans are willing to pay more for branded apparel. I don't know about canadians, but I think the average american place less value on fashion than the average european. So the clothing companies simply demand higher prices in Europe because the customers will pay them.

Germans also wait for sales or order online. If a pair of Nike shoes cost at footlocker 139 Euro, I look at different web sites and order by the cheapest retailer which offer this pair of shoes for a special price. I think the prices for most more expensive designer clothing is very similiar in Canada and Europe. For example prices for Lacoste shoes at Footlocker are very similiar in Canada and Germany.

Germany is well known for discount stores, but they normally don't sell branded clothing at such stores. The KIK discount chain for example operates about 2,600 stores in Germany and about 600 stores in other european countries. Of course you can buy jeans or hoodies for less than 10 Euro, or even for 5 Euro when on sale. I just saw that you even can buy Nike sneakers for 40 Euro there, but most people don't like this style. You can buy no brandes sneakers for less than 10 Euro. There is Primark, an irish discount chain, very cheap and extremely popular because the clothing seems to be much more fashionable than at KIK for example. There are a lot of other cheap clothing chains in Germany and other european countries.

No, and it was never completely true. It was always possible for stores to sell a limited selection of pieces of clothing at lower prices than normal. But it was forbidden until 2004 to offer the whole range for general lower prices. Something like 30% on the whole range was not allowed. That was only allowed two times a year. "Sommerschlussverkauf" and "Winterschlussverkauf". These sales were intended to clear the warehouses on the end of the season to get space for the new collection. In 2004 the law was reformed and since than it is possible to sell always on sale. Now there is always something on sale or there are offerings like get 3 pair of shoes and pay only 2. Seasonal sales with 20 - 50% off exist sill today and are still called "Sommer- oder Winterschlussverkauf", because the people are used to it.

The restriction was intended to protect small businesses. Bigger companies should not able to drive smaller businesses out of the market by selling below the purchase price on a longer period. This law is partially still in use. For example grocery stores aren't allowed to sell normal grocery items below the purchase price for longer than one week. When they get 1 kg of flour for 0.35 Euro, they can sell it for 0.35 Euro, they can even sell it for a lower price but than only for a limited period. A cutthroat competition is still not allowed in Germany.

If you don't need special branded clothing it is really no problem to get very affordable clothing in Germany and I think in all other european countries, too. I think the price gap for apparel between North America and Europe is mostly limited to american brands.
Good to know about the sales. The last time I did any shopping in Germany was before 2004. I did find it very expensive. The internet has changed the way the world shops.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
^^^ Keep in mind that many Canadians cross border shopping few times a year in the US since vast majority of Canadians live within 90 min of the border.
Many, but certainly not the majority. Even for Vancouverites who live quite close to the border, it would take an hours drive to the border and then another 30 minutes to get to a shopping area of note. Plus the wait times at the border…somedays even with a Nexus pass. By this I mean not cross border shopping every week. Many will include shopping on a weekend trip to Seattle. Also the US is not as cheap as it used to be. Factor in that many warrantee's are not valid in Canada on products bought in the US, especially electronics.

If you go for a trip that is under 24 hours you get no custom exemptions. If you go over 24 hours, you only get $200 exempt…but unless you stay at friends, you have to pay for a hotel…so you may actually end up paying more. The maximum exemption is $800 for over 48 hours…again probably used buy people who are on holiday in the states from Canada.

The only time I would cross border shop, besides being on holiday, would be if the product wasn't available in Canada and I could not order it online.
Or if the products was so ridiculously cheap that it would be worth it. I'm not a shopper, but I have to admits so far only holiday shopping is what I've done.

The people that do cross border shop regularly live very close to the border to make it worthwhile. However, besides gas, it's the cheaper dairy products in the US that attracts them. This has been brought up many times on these forums, but I for one do not buy US dairy products because of BGH. Europe and Canada banned them. When I'm in the US I buy dairy labelled BGH free, which costs pretty much as the dairy in Canada.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 PM

334 posts, read 438,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Many, but certainly not the majority. Even for Vancouverites who live quite close to the border, it would take an hours drive to the border and then another 30 minutes to get to a shopping area of note. Plus the wait times at the border…somedays even with a Nexus pass. By this I mean not cross border shopping every week. Many will include shopping on a weekend trip to Seattle. Also the US is not as cheap as it used to be. Factor in that many warrantee's are not valid in Canada on products bought in the US, especially electronics.

If you go for a trip that is under 24 hours you get no custom exemptions. If you go over 24 hours, you only get $200 exempt…but unless you stay at friends, you have to pay for a hotel…so you may actually end up paying more. The maximum exemption is $800 for over 48 hours…again probably used buy people who are on holiday in the states from Canada.

The only time I would cross border shop, besides being on holiday, would be if the product wasn't available in Canada and I could not order it online.
Or if the products was so ridiculously cheap that it would be worth it. I'm not a shopper, but I have to admits so far only holiday shopping is what I've done.

The people that do cross border shop regularly live very close to the border to make it worthwhile. However, besides gas, it's the cheaper dairy products in the US that attracts them. This has been brought up many times on these forums, but I for one do not buy US dairy products because of BGH. Europe and Canada banned them. When I'm in the US I buy dairy labelled BGH free, which costs pretty much as the dairy in Canada.
Well for Ontario and Quebecker's it's different. Go to any outlet mall in N.Y. and N.J. you will see tons of Canadian plates. Obviously you make a trip out of the shopping as well. N.J. charges no sales tax on shoes and clothes.

Did you know that if you remove the price tags of the new purchases you make the border customs do not know how much and what you purchased so there is no $ limit or risk of being tax or whatsoever.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
Well for Ontario and Quebecker's it's different. Go to any outlet mall in N.Y. and N.J. you will see tons of Canadian plates. Obviously you make a trip out of the shopping as well. N.J. charges no sales tax on shoes and clothes.

Did you know that if you remove the price tags of the new purchases you make the border customs do not know how much and what you purchased so there is no $ limit or risk of being tax or whatsoever.
You will see a lot of BC plates at outlet malls in Washington state as well. However they are not all there for just that trip, they, like myself, on there way further south either for a weekend. I stop there if I'm meeting up with Seattle friends for camping.

As for taking price tags off? Not a good idea. They can tell what's new and you can't wear everything.
They will might really question you, hold you up, and note your name etc. You could just be setting yourself up for extra questioning every time you cross that border…or any border.

For what? A cheap pair of crappy shoes?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What?? You're comparing the cost of living in Londonderry to Toronto? Londonderry population 211,000 to Toronto 3 million, over 6 million if you count the GTA.

Sorry, don't see the logic there.
Well who hell do you want me to compare it to? Timbucktu?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:13 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post

No! They add on the tax when you goto pay

Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM

132 posts, read 150,122 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci
What?? You're comparing the cost of living in Londonderry to Toronto? Londonderry population 211,000 to Toronto 3 million, over 6 million if you count the GTA.

Sorry, don't see the logic there.

Well who hell do you want me to compare it to? Timbucktu?

I am sure the majority in Germany don't know Londonderry, and the ones who knows the city, knows it only because from the TV news about the conflict in Northern Ireland, long time ago.

Comparing Londonderry with Toronto sounds crazy. But what's about comparing Londonderry with London (Ontario)? The population of Londonderry is 85,000, London (Ontario) has 366,000 inhabitants. Sounds crazy, too? No, I don't think so.

Use Google street view and see the differences.

London (Ontario) looks like an average north american city. There is a small downtown area with tall buildings and a lot of business jobs and smaller shops you will visit by car. Surrounding downtown there are huge residential areas (suburbs). And scatterd shopping malls between them. It's all about working, watch TV, sleeping and shopping. Sorry, when it sounds like an insult. But for an average European the typically north american city looks like a city without a soul. It's just a combination of a boring downtown area and lifeless suburbs. It seems to be that there is no difference between a north american city with a populaton of 50,000 or 500,000. It's just bigger and more spreaded. If you use google street view in the suburbs, you will probably found no one who walks with his dog around or spot people by gardening. You can find nice houses surrounded by huge lawns, but the whole scenery looks dead. Why they have all such huge lawns if no one uses them? Why are the streets in the suburbs that wide? There is almost no traffic, but the roads are twice as wide as necessary.

Londonderry is exact the opposite. The city isn't rich, but in my opinion you can feel the soul of the city if you use street view and "walk" around.

Just near the place in the center of the city you will see in Bishop Street Within two abandoned buildings. They have covert the windows and doors with plywood. To pretty up the ensemble the have covert it with expressive graffiti, really nice. By my virtual reconnaissances in London (ON) I don't have found such attention to detail. Abandoned buildings in downtown or elsewhere are just abandoned and ugly. No body cares. Such places are often surrounded by huge parking lots.

If you look further around in Londonderry you will spot a lot of other expressive graffiti and art, mostly applied to the Northern Ireland Conflict. It's looks so great, WOW I am really impressed. I am sure, that most Canadians will see it just the other way around. And a lot of other Europeans will be more impressed by the tall buildings in typically north american downtowns.

I have spot a lot of mums push their toddlers in buggies around. Why I can't spot such things in London (ON)? Are canadian babies protected from fresh air?

I have just spot Waterloo Street in Londonderry by daylight. But I know how it will looks like by night. There will be a terrific nightlife. A city like London (ON) can't offer such a nightlife. Of course London (ON) will have a nightlife, too. But for most Europeans it will be probably boring and will feel like looked up in a cage. There is no atmosphere. Even a relative small city like Londonderry has so much more to offer than a city like London (ON). There is so much more life in the streets. Even with a much lower income the Life in Londonderry would be so much greater than in London (ON).

Most scary for me on many north american cities it the deserted scenery. In contrast to that Canadians probably blame about overcrowded european cities.

That's a picture of my home town Kleve (pop: 50,000):

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.ourtravelpics.com/kleve/kleve_001.jpg

I am sure that Canadians or US-Americans don't feel bored by their cities, of course not, but for most Europeans a lot of north american cities look very boring. It feels that they are lacking something like a soul and attention to detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World