Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,780,807 times

Advertisements

Oh so Bermuda is now part of North America too! I think you'll find they are atlantic and carribean islands!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Oh so Bermuda is now part of North America too! I think you'll find they are atlantic and carribean islands!!!
I'm seriously scratching my head here. You are arguing against a fact, a fact that any atlas or quick search on the net will tell you is correct?

I'm not a fan of wiki…but here's a blurb.

"North America covers an area of about 24,709,000 square kilometers (9,540,000 square miles), about 4.8% of the planet's surface or about 16.5% of its land area. As of July 2008, its population was estimated at nearly 529 million people across 23 independent states, representing about 7.5% of the human population. Most of the continent's land area is dominated by Canada, the United States, and Mexico, while smaller states exist in the Central American and Caribbean regions. North America is the third largest continent by area, following Asia and Africa,[2] and the fourth by population after Asia, Africa, and Europe.[3]"

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm seriously scratching my head here. You are arguing against a fact, a fact that any atlas or quick search on the net will tell you is correct?

I'm not a fan of wiki…but here's a blurb.

"North America covers an area of about 24,709,000 square kilometers (9,540,000 square miles), about 4.8% of the planet's surface or about 16.5% of its land area. As of July 2008, its population was estimated at nearly 529 million people across 23 independent states, representing about 7.5% of the human population. Most of the continent's land area is dominated by Canada, the United States, and Mexico, while smaller states exist in the Central American and Caribbean regions. North America is the third largest continent by area, following Asia and Africa,[2] and the fourth by population after Asia, Africa, and Europe.[3]"
They are not on the continent!!!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM

654 posts, read 793,374 times
Got cousins in Rhode Island, who I used to visit regularly, does that count?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are arguing about here. It's is a fact that North America includes these countries. It is true that some of these countries are islands, but that doesn't make them not part of North America.

Are you saying that they can't be part of North America because they are islands?

Are we then to assume that Tasmania isn't' part of Australia since it isn't attached to it? That Sicily, Sardinia etc aren't part of Europe? The Greek Islands?

Perhaps this map will help you in understanding the SEVEN continents.
Attached Thumbnails
Did your ancestors migrate to the United States?-intl_seven_continents.gif  

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-02-2014 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,797,751 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are arguing about here. It's is a fact that North America includes these countries. It is true that some of these countries are islands, but that doesn't make them not part of North America.

Are you saying that they can't be part of North America because they are islands?

Are we then to assume that Tasmania isn't' part of Australia since it isn't attached to it? That Sicily, Sardinia etc aren't part of Europe? The Greek Islands?

See, the conundrum Mac15 is in, is if he considers the North American islands to be included in North America, then that means he must include the British Isles as part of Europe as well, which he does not. So, to avoid being a hypocrite, that's why he says PR is not part of North America.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think you might be onto something with that point because it was common for names to evolve from ones occupation. As Peter being described by someone to another would have been Peter, the shepherd then becoming Peter Shepherd.

The Anglo Saxon's propensity for having a family coat of arms lends itself to the heraldry of a family name being more easily traced. You weren't considered anybody until you designed and hung a shield emblazoned with your family coat of arms or 'crest' over a huge fireplace on a little island way out in the Outer Hebrides so that when the neighbouring famer showed up for a 'wee dram' he'd have nothing to look at but that shield hanging there in its full regalia splendor. "What's that then 'arvey?" "Oh that's just something the wee bairn drew in his crib using the contents of his nappy that his ma took a liking to". "I hung it there to please the old girl".

My family's registered 'Coat of Arms' as an example, is a shield divided by a diagonal bar separating two groups of strutting storks above and below the bar. It is derived by some obscure ancestor being a keeper of storks for some royal personage who it is supposed, enjoyed seeing the exotic birds strutting around his estate.

Such is the archival ancestral minutiae information kept on behalf of those with Anglo Saxon origins.
I'm not sure what the Spanish side of the whole ancestry thing is. We do have coats of arms as well, but I don't think it was as widespread as in Anglo-Saxon Britain

Quote:
I didn't know Puerto Rico was ON North America.

Its in the Carribean.

Oh wait it looks like I have more American family than you.
Well, the first American family I have in the US is from 1898, after the Spanish handover of PR to the US. But, in terms of my family being New Worlders overall, pretty safe to say that the first ones settled on this side of the Atlantic as early as 1790 to as late as 1820

Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,304,350 times
Quote:
For whatever reason, he also keeps on arguing that Ireland is not part of Europe

Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,203,081 times
Not that I know of but I don't really know that much about my ancestors, there's a book about them somewhere that a great-uncle was writing but I've never come across it. One uncle almost moved to the US (to Texas I think) for a job but changed his mind, otherwise the only ones I know who immigrated were my mum (to the UK) and a great aunt (to Australia)

Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
See, the conundrum Mac15 is in, is if he considers the North American islands to be included in North America, then that means he must include the British Isles as part of Europe as well, which he does not. So, to avoid being a hypocrite, that's why he says PR is not part of North America.

North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what the Spanish side of the whole ancestry thing is. We do have coats of arms as well, but I don't think it was as widespread as in Anglo-Saxon Britain

Well, the first American family I have in the US is from 1898, after the Spanish handover of PR to the US. But, in terms of my family being New Worlders overall, pretty safe to say that the first ones settled on this side of the Atlantic as early as 1790 to as late as 1820
No, I consider the British isles part of Europe but not ON Europe which is really quite obvious to anyone in this world.

I mean we can argue on and on but the simple point is that islands are not a part of any continent and yes they may be part of the continental shelf (which btw PR and Bermuda are NOT) but you cannot walk to them. You must get a boat.
The British isles are obviously European due to their rich history and their actual CLOSE PROXIMITY to Europe but PR and Bermuda are hundreds and hundreds of miles from the nearest landfall and are NOT part of the continental shelf.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:

I don't really care. The fact of the matter is that these islands are not situated on the continent of North America.

With PR being on a totally separate tectonic plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Did your ancestors migrate to the United States?-screen-shot-2014-05-03-10.37.52.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World