Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
LOL - could you image that?

Brits can be snobbish, maybe nationalistic to a certain degree. We have no issues putting ourselves down, but sometimes have this attitude that we're superior to everywhere else - but this is mostly apparent in the elderly population - especially those who were children or older in WW2 and think the Germans are evil and nasty, or the French are weak.
I would personally tell them to catch themselves on. Its arrogant and cocky to think that god founded your country and that every country outside it is crap.

Really.. I think its insecurity. I mean I am so so proud of my heritage but I never go around bragging about it and really why should I!! You can't choose your heritage. Its so stupid.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
For every person I've met in various countries that seem arrogant, nationalistic or snobbish, I've met 3 that aren't.
However in terms of how intense those traits seemed to me I would say

U.S.
France
Austria
Germany
England

In Canada we have them too of course. I have met many wonderful Dutch people in my many travels to The Netherlands. I've encountered a few that were snobbish. I was told Canada has no culture by a Dutch flight attendant. I was taken to a nice menswear shop by a Dutch man who assumed that such a thing couldn't possibly exist in Canada etc. Even though that was more of an act of ignorance, he had an air of superiority about him since he thought I lived in a log cabin, by the lake, with a red canoe going by, and my shopping would be beaver pelt trading at the local Hudson's Bay outpost. No, seriously.
I don't know why you are acting like that when my Canadian cousins ex wife asked us did we have cinemas and bikes.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ive always just been really curious why we are called arrogant nationalist over the smallest things like a flag.
Because you go round saying "god bless america" as if there is nowhere as good as america since sliced bread and that you are better than everywhere else... you can see it with the flag waving.

Its not a simple swoosh its a flap flap flap madly as if you are going to die if you don't flag wave.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not ashamed per say - we just see it as unnecessary. We have nothing to prove to anyone - not least ourselves. There's no point in displaying your national flag everywhere. I don't care if Americans want to do it, but it's not something we do.

Never heard anyone say 'God Save the Queen'.. lol. British people might have nationalistic tendencies, but patriotic? Hardly.
Well its more that i'm not gonna be all patriotic over a piece of soil that I was just born on by chance..

Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
France! A nation of extremely arrogant people.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:14 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Because you go round saying "god bless america" as if there is nowhere as good as america since sliced bread and that you are better than everywhere else... you can see it with the flag waving.

Its not a simple swoosh its a flap flap flap madly as if you are going to die if you don't flag wave.
You're painting such a tired caricature of America and Americans that you're becoming a caricature yourself...

Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
The French elite sincerely believes France is the Beacon of Light that illuminates not only the Planet but the whole Universe. At that level of arrogance , it's more than a superiority complex, it's a mystique.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Well France is not anywhere near the best countries in the world.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Well France is not anywhere near the best countries in the world.
I wouldn't point the finger too much there as according to most rankings France is just above the UK or tied with it.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:

Many nations wished that they had the nationalism that America had. In fact, it's internal in European nations especially Germany. The Germans love to have 1 on 1 conversations with you about the "greatness" of the German country. I think many people are just envious because Americans have pride and probably have a military base in their country with our flag waving as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World