Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Nah they failed themselves, they could easily move away from their inner city ghetto if they wanted to (many already have) and live a more normal life.
What I'm saying is that most of us who live normal middle-class lives don't realize how difficult it is for a people to get out of the ghetto and improve their economic situations when their familes have been living in a cycle of poverty for many decades, when their ancestors were slaves for centuries, when they are surrounded by crime, drugs, gang bangers and negative role models much of the time, when society often looks down on them, discriminates against them, has very low expectations of them and regularly puts them in prison.

It's difficult to put yourself in their shoes and understand the kind of psychological slavery that poor black people in America continue to undergo to this day. I admit that I cannot relate to this myself, but can only learn about it.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What I'm saying is that most of us who live normal middle-class lives don't realize how difficult it is for a people to get out of the ghetto and improve their economic situations when their familes have been living in a cycle of poverty for many decades, when their ancestors were slaves for centuries, when they are surrounded by crime, drugs, gang bangers and negative role models much of the time, when society often looks down on them, discriminates against them, has very low expectations of them and regularly puts them in prison.

It's difficult to put yourself in their shoes and understand the kind of psychological slavery that poor black people in America continue to undergo to this day. I admit that I cannot relate to this myself, but can only learn about it.
Do there ancestors past really affect their daily lives today?
and its really not that hard to just move to the suburbs that have low crime, good schools and affordable housing units... i know plenty of poor people who have made the move from the ghetto to the suburbs.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do there ancestors past really affect their daily lives today?
and its really not that hard to just move to the suburbs that have low crime, good schools and affordable housing units... i know plenty of poor people who have made the move from the ghetto to the suburbs.
The ones that have ghetto culture will just bring ghetto culture to wherever they move to. And increase crime and make the schools worse.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The ones that have ghetto culture will just bring ghetto culture to wherever they move to. And increase crime and make the schools worse.
I think the ghettoness slowly goes away, but if they are moving in large numbers to the same apartment complex i can see that happening.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

89 posts, read 209,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, the proportion of Muslims as a % of London's population is lower than Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels - you'll have to try a little harder than that.
Its not just Muslims, you have a large population of africans too. London is not an English city anymore since the English people are now a minority there.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Quote:
I think it is accurate to say that American society has failed poor black people. This demographic commits a highly disproportionate amount of violent crime in the U.S. This is why the violent crime statistics in the U.S. appear to be so much higher than it is other developed nations.

In fact, this is the greatest social failure of America. There are historical and cultural reasons which have led to this situation. And of course, black people suffered centuries of discrimination in the U.S.

Decades ago, the hope and expectation was that poor black people would raise themselves out of poverty and crime. A certain percentage were able to do that. However, for a lot of people it has proven to be much more difficult to do than was once thought. That is why America has such a huge population of minorities in jail. They have become socially and culturally deviant people and that was the only solution for many of them.

It will probably take a lot more time for the violent crime rate to fall to very low or acceptable levels in American inner cities. Maybe Europeans and others know something that Americans don't.

I looked it up...the demographics of homicide for the U.S.

From this website - http://wonder.cdc.gov/cmf-icd10.html

So for 2010 here are all the demographic groups followed by there murder rate, worst to best.

Black males: 35.0
American Indian males: 14.8
Hispanic males: 9.5
Black females: 5.3
USA average: 5.3
American Indian females: 3.7
White males: 3.3
Asian males: 2.6
Hispanic females: 1.8
White females: 1.7
Asian females: 1.2

Last edited by caliguy92832; 05-07-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: url

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I looked it up...the demographics of homicide for the U.S.

From this website - Compressed Mortality, 1999-2010 Request

So for 2010 here are all the demographic groups followed by there murder rate, worst to best.

Black males: 35.0
American Indian males: 14.8
Hispanic males: 9.5
Black females: 5.3
USA average: 5.3
American Indian females: 3.7
White males: 3.3
Asian males: 2.6
Hispanic females: 1.8
White females: 1.7
Asian females: 1.2
That's pretty amazing. Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
I think it is accurate to say that American society has failed poor black people. This demographic commits a highly disproportionate amount of violent crime in the U.S. This is why the violent crime statistics in the U.S. appear to be so much higher than it is other developed nations.

In fact, this is the greatest social failure of America. There are historical and cultural reasons which have led to this situation. And of course, black people suffered centuries of discrimination in the U.S.

Decades ago, the hope and expectation was that poor black people would raise themselves out of poverty and crime. A certain percentage were able to do that. However, for a lot of people it has proven to be much more difficult to do than was once thought. That is why America has such a huge population of minorities in jail. They have become socially and culturally deviant people and that was the only solution for many of them.

It will probably take a lot more time for the violent crime rate to fall to very low or acceptable levels in American inner cities. Maybe Europeans and others know something that Americans don't.
I think a lot of it is the ghettoisation of poverty, basically. Blacks were often segregated and either forced to (by the law, discrimination, or economic limitations), or preferred to live with other blacks in certain, poorer parts of the city to begin with. The lack of opportunities in general, as well as the dearth of services, including education, in these areas just led to a concentration of people who had no opportunity and no hope. So it's no wonder many turned to crime out of desperation, even if they were a minority out of many who were struggling to get by by 'decent' means. From what I know this hasn't changed as much as it should've, with huge ghettos in many American cities. 'White flight' certainly did not help. America's harsh, dog eat dog, capitalist free market coupled with the idea that we are all responsible for our own destiny has made it even harder for poor people, many of whom are minorities, to rise above.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times
When people talk about the US, they often discuss the racial disparity in crime/poverty/socioeconomic status but I wonder how other developed countries do in the gap between their minorities and the majority/dominant population?

I'm wondering if the other Anglo nations have such a crime gap between whites and non-whites, since many non-whites are recent immigrants, except for indigenous people (and I guess for Canada, descendents of American blacks, who weren't enslaved in Canada probably do better and are more middle class). Perhaps in many of those places, there is a less strong gap between whites and others except maybe indigenous people are the most worst off?

Also, it seems like some of the racial crime stereotypes in American society aren't true in other developed nations, and it seems to be the case based on statistics I've read somewhere. It seems for instance, that in the UK, South Asians have high crime rates, and that is not even at all a stereotype of them in the US.

I know many countries in Europe don't collect race info though.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Its not just Muslims, you have a large population of africans too. London is not an English city anymore since the English people are now a minority there.
NYC and indeed the US were built on immigration, does that mean US Cities aren't American, and other major European cities also have significant immigrant populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World