Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually, a lot of those photos are beautiful and highly complimentary of Ottawa

I love the gothic revival architecture of the Parliament Buildings.... they are very striking and the way the Ottawa River meanders through the city is quite dramatic and picturesque. Ottawa is a great city for its size...

As a matter of fact, skating along the Rideau Canal has to be one of the most beautiful skates around.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ridea...w=1518&bih=687
That's pretty much what I was saying. Ottawa in the tourism shots looks very majestic, but there are only bits and pieces of it that are like this. Take any neighbourhood main street and they are generally quite ordinary looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM

27 posts, read 66,853 times
Montreal is overrated.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
For sure Paris. It looks way better in pictures than in person. I have been 2x and don't think to return. It is very dirty too.

Mexico City looks way better in person than in pictures. Especially the way Hollywood likes to portray it.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:08 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Many films are shot in and around Vancouver and I find that you would never know unless you are really paying attention. Van and its surroundings are quite beautiful but somehow the scenery ends up looking really drab and boring in films. I know, I know, it's cloudy and rains a lot and suburbs can be kind of meh, but it still seems off.
That's because many of those films filmed in Vancouver are not portraying Vancouver but either an unnamed city, or US one.
The shots are usually close shots since wide shots showing the city and mountains in the background too many people who may only have a passing knowledge of Vancouver might still recognize it.

It wasn't always so. A few films in the 1980's ( pre World's Fair ) would shoot in Vancouver and say it was Seattle. I remember watching one that filmed in Vanier park with the west end skyline and mountain back drop. Besides Vancouverites, it was probably mainly Seattlelites that said " wait a second !! "

Old 05-13-2014, 04:49 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,370 times
I think most amateur videos and photography, as well as Google street view, make London look much worse than it is in reality. It tends to look reasonably well in commercial films, obviously dependent upon cinematographic technique.

An irony for me is that one of the most unforgettable representations of London on film happens to be a near future dystopian movie:

The introduction to Children of Men. Caution: Some disturbing imagery.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Miami!

Miami looks gorgeous in all the films and TV shows. All the sparkling water, pastel colors, Art Deco, girls in bikinis.

What you don't see is all the heat, humidity, bugs, sweat, crime, and miles of dirty poverty Yeah, show only areas where the houses cost multi-millions of dollars and it is going to look good.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
For sure Paris. It looks way better in pictures than in person. I have been 2x and don't think to return. It is very dirty too.

Mexico City looks way better in person than in pictures. Especially the way Hollywood likes to portray it.
I second Paris.. you rarely see the dirty streets, rundown buildings (mostly outside the city center), and the smog in the pictures and films.

I think Hong Kong looks a little better in reality than what's portrayed in the media.. it's still a very crowded place but I rarely felt unsafe and it's a little cleaner than in the movies.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Moscow looks better in pictures, mostly because they leave the awful Soviet architecture out.

The parks in Moscow however, my gosh, pictures cannot do them justice. Moscow parks are absolutely amazing, usually have beautiful churches, gorgeous flora, and great architecture. And during the winter, some parks look like a real life version of winter wonderland

Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Miami!

Miami looks gorgeous in all the films and TV shows. All the sparkling water, pastel colors, Art Deco, girls in bikinis.

What you don't see is all the heat, humidity, bugs, sweat, crime, and miles of dirty poverty Yeah, show only areas where the houses cost multi-millions of dollars and it is going to look good.
I agree, I was dissapointed with Miami for that reason.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I think most amateur videos and photography, as well as Google street view, make London look much worse than it is in reality. It tends to look reasonably well in commercial films, obviously dependent upon cinematographic technique.
Another point is that cities do change, even cities such as London, if you look at films such as 'Mona Lisa' starring Bob Hoskins places such as London's Soho and Kings Cross were far seedier and much less tourist friendly in the 1980's.

The same is true of other iconic London films such as the London Good Friday, much of which is based around London's Docklands before their redevelopment or 'The Crying Game', which was mainly filmed in Hoxton and Shoreditch before the massive gentrification of the area, and there are numerous other examples, whilst cities such as New York have also changed massively since the days of iconic films such as Taxi Driver.

The late Bob Hoskins makes his way through London's Soho in this clip from 'Mona Lisa' (1986)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World