U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 AM

1,297 posts, read 802,838 times

Advertisements

Have you ever read a brochure, looked at photos or watched a video of a city and felt that first hand reality didn't match expectations when you went to visit? Purely from a visual point of view.

Which cities capture well on film? Which cities don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Detroit, MI is rarely captured for how it looks. It's either a beautiful skyline or lame hipsters thinking they're edgy by taking pictures of abandoned houses.

One city that strikes me as looking better in pictures would be Medellín, Colombia. Many people will hate me for saying it, but pictures make the city look nice.. but when you're walking around the city you see so many telephone lines and red brick everywhere.

Personally I think Miami is nicer in person than in pictures.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,447,708 times
Many films are shot in and around Vancouver and I find that you would never know unless you are really paying attention. Van and its surroundings are quite beautiful but somehow the scenery ends up looking really drab and boring in films. I know, I know, it's cloudy and rains a lot and suburbs can be kind of meh, but it still seems off.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 AM

1,297 posts, read 802,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Many films are shot in and around Vancouver and I find that you would never know unless you are really paying attention. Van and its surroundings are quite beautiful but somehow the scenery ends up looking really drab and boring in films. I know, I know, it's cloudy and rains a lot and suburbs can be kind of meh, but it still seems off.
I guess like people, some cities translate better to film/photo than others.

Aside from weather, I wonder what else may affect this.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 AM

5,215 posts, read 5,872,309 times
They all look better in movies.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Canada's capital city of Ottawa has not appeared in many movies, but it is in a lot of postcard-type pictures.

It's not an ugly city and I don't want to bash it, but in the images people generally see of it you get the impression it is a much more majestic city than it really is. In actual fact it's a pretty ordinary looking city. Not ugly, but not spectacular either.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...62.hJSACK4oqhc

Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,794,061 times
Rio looks worse than in pictures. São Paulo looks better.
In fact, both look very similar. What makes Rio look better in the pics is the Guanabara bay, but the city itself look like any huge metropolis of a developing country.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,124,583 times
Athens, Greece. I really don't like the city besides the very few sights everybody knows from pictures.

The rest of Greece (well, the smaller islands ) is absolutely gorgeous, though, and it's always a pleasure to come back. The food, the people, the sea and the small villages are amazing.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM

852 posts, read 808,590 times
I've found Paris not as beautiful and charming, as it shows in pictures and movies. A beautiful city indeed, not what I expected.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada's capital city of Ottawa has not appeared in many movies, but it is in a lot of postcard-type pictures.

It's not an ugly city and I don't want to bash it, but in the images people generally see of it you get the impression it is a much more majestic city than it really is. In actual fact it's a pretty ordinary looking city. Not ugly, but not spectacular either.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...62.hJSACK4oqhc
Actually, a lot of those photos are beautiful and highly complimentary of Ottawa

I love the gothic revival architecture of the Parliament Buildings.... they are very striking and the way the Ottawa River meanders through the city is quite dramatic and picturesque. Ottawa is a great city for its size...

As a matter of fact, skating along the Rideau Canal has to be one of the most beautiful skates around.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ridea...w=1518&bih=687
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or